Yu Yu Hakusho

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 06:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora

What am I witnessing here?  ???

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Aurora on June 10, 2011, 04:44:35 PM
What am I witnessing here?  ???
What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object.

Aurora

Erm...yes. Well, anyway. I've been thinking of collecting the manga for this series because...well why not? And was wondering if anything drastic was changed from manga to anime on here. I only thing I'm aware of was Mukuro's past not making it into anime.

Spark Of Spirit

Little things mostly. The only real drastic change is that the first part of the Spirit Detective arc (Yusuke as a ghost) was condensed for the anime. There's a few differences near the end, but those are the only huge differences.

Oh yeah, and the manga uses Yusuke's mother more while the anime fleshes out Shizuru instead.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The beginning of the manga has a lot of short stories with Yusuke's adventures as a ghost that were never featured in the anime (the anime condensed it down to the bare-minimum and only included parts that had some bearing on the plot). There was even a side character called Sayaka who was featured in both the manga and the anime but was given a completely different role in the anime. In the manga she was the spirit of a dead girl who was playing with a little boy who could see ghosts but was also risking turning him into a ghost so they could play forever or something of the sort, and Yusuke had to stop her. In the anime she is sent by Spirit World to monitor Yusuke's mom and his friends to see if they really want him back and if he indeed should be brought back to life, and of course she had to monitor Yusuke's behavior himself. Aside from the beginning, there were a few short stories both in the middle and at the end of the manga that were cut out. The most notable one removed was Hiei and Kurma's past featuring how they first met. Though, I do believe that there was an audio CD released that contained that story voice acted out by the original seiyuu from the anime (I listened to it on youtube once).

Oh yeah, also George (Jorge in Japanese) does not exist in the manga. He was purely a filler character in the anime added in for comic relief.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 14, 2011, 08:10:41 PM
The beginning of the manga has a lot of short stories with Yusuke's adventures as a ghost that were never featured in the anime (the anime condensed it down to the bare-minimum and only included parts that had some bearing on the plot). There was even a side character called Sayaka who was featured in both the manga and the anime but was given a completely different role in the anime. In the manga she was the spirit of a dead girl who was playing with a little boy who could see ghosts but was also risking turning him into a ghost so they could play forever or something of the sort, and Yusuke had to stop her. In the anime she is sent by Spirit World to monitor Yusuke's mom and his friends to see if they really want him back and if he indeed should be brought back to life, and of course she had to monitor Yusuke's behavior himself. Aside from the beginning, there were a few short stories both in the middle and at the end of the manga that were cut out. The most notable one removed was Hiei and Kurma's past featuring how they first met. Though, I do believe that there was an audio CD released that contained that story voice acted out by the original seiyuu from the anime (I listened to it on youtube once).

Oh yeah, also George (Jorge in Japanese) does not exist in the manga. He was purely a filler character in the anime added in for comic relief.

Sayaka reminds me... It's been a while since I read the manga. Is the house fire section in the manga? And how was it done, since Sayaka had a different role?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 15, 2011, 03:22:41 PM
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 14, 2011, 08:10:41 PM

Sayaka reminds me... It's been a while since I read the manga. Is the house fire section in the manga? And how was it done, since Sayaka had a different role?
Koenma interferes directly and opens a path for the flames. He does his in exchange of some "virtue" of Yusuke's. The same result happens, Yusuke loses all the good deeds he had done up to that point, it just doesn't have anything to do with the Spirit Egg.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Did you guys know FUNimation is finally dubbing the OVAs and one of the movies?

Spark Of Spirit

You got a link to this bad boy?

I wanna read up.

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 28, 2011, 02:57:55 PM
Hopefully they don't pull the same shit that happened with the Trigun movie. Y'know, how the dub has completely different actors from the TV series. :unimpressed:

talonmalon333

Quote from: Desensitized on June 28, 2011, 03:16:06 PM
You got a link to this bad boy?

I wanna read up.

I just found it by typing something like "Yu Yu Hakusho funimation" into YouTube, I think.

Quote from: Foggle on June 28, 2011, 03:17:20 PMHopefully they don't pull the same shit that happened with the Trigun movie. Y'know, how the dub has completely different actors from the TV series. :unimpressed:

I think it was supposedly reported by Justin Cook, so... ;)

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on June 28, 2011, 03:17:20 PM
Hopefully they don't pull the same shit that happened with the Trigun movie. Y'know, how the dub has completely different actors from the TV series. :unimpressed:
Still annoyed at this.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

In that case, you got some false information. If you look a few pages back, there is a link to that youtube video where Justin Cook V-Logs about Yu Yu Hakusho and the (back then) upcoming Blu-Ray releases. All he said was that they had tried to dub the OVAs earlier (he didn't mention anything about the movies) but ended up cancelling the project because a lot of the VAs sounded way too different than they used to since their voices had changed over time, and also because the OVAs were only composed of a few bonus material scenes so it wasn't really worth it to churn that out as a full release, itself. As far as re-dubbing goes, Cook said that they would be re-dubbing certain lines in the show for the Blu-Ray releases, and some minor characters would be completely redone entirely (such as Sniper, for example), in order to make the more flat sounding parts of the dub sound more natural, so that the Blu-Ray releases would be the most refined version of the English audio track rather than just a half-assed port from the DVDs (its reasons like this that I still love FUNimation, and can forgive them for the occasional disappointments they bring up such as cancelling the Higurashi license).

Anyways, while I would love to see them dub the full movie, not because its a good movie (because its as average as an animated movie can possibly get), but because I would like to hear the awesome English voice cast voicing new lines for classic character roles of theirs, its basically not going to happen for the same reasons that they couldn't dub the much smaller OVAs. The voices just aren't even there anymore, for the most part (or at least according to Cook).

gunswordfist

:swoon:

Assuming you mean Poltergeist Report, I can't wait to relive the parts:

-Kurama vs his old friend. This part could honest be up their with any of Kurama's best fights and in an actually overall good Yu yu Hakusho movie, it would fit in perfectly. In that fight, it's like you are being taken out of a mediocre film and put into a great one. How they have a complete nobody demon mentally and emotionally attack something Kurama regrets in his past is just incredible. He messed with his memories and everything. Not to mention that the friend the demon imitates has a badass power. I love watching that. Last, how Kurama ended up beating him by finding out that he's really his old friend was so clever. Seriously, the entire fight is flawless.

-Kuwabara's bout. Besides when he broke out of that demon from Chapter Black's dimension, this is the only scene of his I like. I loved how he used brains AND brawn to beat that copy cat demon (hmm, are him and the demon Kurama related or something? Just thought about that) Anyway, getting the demon to use all of his energy and then whooping his ass with physical strength was badass. I think that reflects well with how much smarter Kuwabara got after Chapter Black. Unfortunately, he never fought again after hitting the books. If Kuwabara came back like he was in Poltergeist Report, I would actually like the character.

-The scene where Yusuke was walking to stop the demons and then his friends come out of alleyways and what not to join up with him. It was like a scene out of a badass old school movie like The Warriors.

I know I went over this all like 2 or 3 other times but I can't resist. Those moments hold up well with some of the best from the series. Too bad the rest of the movie is mediocre and has a generic plot and overpowered main villain. That and how Yusuke's personality is completely gone. That's the number one thing Funimation can fix. Justin Cook needs to basically make fun of the main villain for 80 minutes. :sly:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 28, 2011, 04:33:25 PM
In that case, you got some false information. If you look a few pages back, there is a link to that youtube video where Justin Cook V-Logs about Yu Yu Hakusho and the (back then) upcoming Blu-Ray releases. All he said was that they had tried to dub the OVAs earlier (he didn't mention anything about the movies) but ended up cancelling the project because a lot of the VAs sounded way too different than they used to since their voices had changed over time, and also because the OVAs were only composed of a few bonus material scenes so it wasn't really worth it to churn that out as a full release, itself. As far as re-dubbing goes, Cook said that they would be re-dubbing certain lines in the show for the Blu-Ray releases, and some minor characters would be completely redone entirely (such as Sniper, for example), in order to make the more flat sounding parts of the dub sound more natural, so that the Blu-Ray releases would be the most refined version of the English audio track rather than just a half-assed port from the DVDs (its reasons like this that I still love FUNimation, and can forgive them for the occasional disappointments they bring up such as cancelling the Higurashi license).

Anyways, while I would love to see them dub the full movie, not because its a good movie (because its as average as an animated movie can possibly get), but because I would like to hear the awesome English voice cast voicing new lines for classic character roles of theirs, its basically not going to happen for the same reasons that they couldn't dub the much smaller OVAs. The voices just aren't even there anymore, for the most part (or at least according to Cook).
Can't believe I thought talon was a reliable source
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody