Yu Yu Hakusho

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 06:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: Eddy on July 05, 2011, 03:10:30 PM
I stopped watching the anime shortly after the Togoro arc as I felt that was the perfect way to end the series. I do have the DVD of the episodes that follow the end of Togoro arc as well, but it didn't really grab me to go any further.
Que EK giving a preacher length speech
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 05, 2011, 05:44:11 PM
Heh, That's sort of the problem, a lot of people stopped watching or lost interest in YYH after the Toguro arc because after a big epic tournament arc things seemed to slow down. However despite a somewhat slow start the Chapter Black arc proves to be the best arc in the series by far, IMO. It has by far the best writing and it easily has the best and most complex villain in the show, Sensui. I actually love how it throws the heroes for a loop by having enemies that are far weaker than them for the most part but are constantly outwitting them every step of the way. To me its bay far the most interesting arc in the series, and personally I feel that had Togashi wanted to end the series, doing so after the CB arc (though with a slightly different ending that would actually wrap things up) would make for the perfect ending if anything.

How would you imagine it ending, if it were 3 arcs?

gunswordfist

This should be good. *grabs popcorn*

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 06, 2011, 10:27:16 AM
This should be good. *grabs popcorn*

You should be good, too. Point is, you're not. You suck.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'd give you my own alternate ending, but you know, my point was kind of that it would be Togashi's job to do that. I think Desensitized put it best himself in an earlier post for the Chapter Black arc, but I'll apply it to the series in general: Nobody can do an alternate ending for YYH except for Togashi (and also those guys that both me and Desensitized actually said DID do a better alternate ending than Togashi, but for the sake of being lazy I'm going to pretend that we never said that), because YYH is pure Togashi. The thing is, the guy has his own unique style of story-telling that no other writer in the world can match because its purely his stuff.

And when you try to shamelessly rip off his stuff you get Bleach. :>

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 06, 2011, 02:08:43 PM
And when you try to shamelessly rip off his stuff you get Bleach.
I know this is probably a lot to ask, but I've never really seen much of Bleach outside of a few clips that made it look like Naruto with older kids, so how, exactly, does it rip off YYH? I've been curious as to this for awhile.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It doesn't really. Even though I hate the show I actually defend it as not being a rip-off of YYH as much as it rips off every shonen series in general (basically its a combination of every generic shonen cliche in the book). I only say stuff like that to piss off GSF because I know that he's a fan of the show and I want to rub it in his face that it sucks. :sly:

Well, in terms of ripping YYH off, though, according to Desensitized, the current arc in the manga seriously rips off YYH's Chapter Black arc, though you'd have to ask Desensitized about that to get the specifics of what exactly it rips off.

Spark Of Spirit

Well, the ending of the YYH manga essentially was the same as the manga, it just was presented and executed better. It wasn't really that hard, since Togashi had one foot out the door for the entire arc, the anime staff clearly really loved the series and they took his ideas and presented them better. If he wasn't so lazy, he could probably have done it himself, but here we are.

As for Bleach, it's not a rip off, but Kubo has been sidling a little too close to YYH this arc. Territories (one of which is a video game power), a human villain who seems to want to destroy humanity by some means (this wouldn't bother me if the villain wasn't basically Sensui, even recruiting humans who hate people to do it), and the main character's strength means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. Alone these wouldn't bother me, but together, and the fact Kubo is a Togashi fan, the way the arc has been unfolding rubs me the complete wrong way. At least before, his generic stuff was his stuff, now he's taking ideas from someone else and applying them almost unchanged to his own.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Was it ever officially stated anywhere that Kubo was a fan of Togashi? I'm just curious, because I've heard people say this before (and I wouldn't have a hard time believing it myself), but I've never seen that he actually stated such to be the case, anywhere. That said, there's certainly no way that I would believe that he hasn't ever read or seen anything by Togashi, because he quite clearly has had to in order to get Bleach published by WSJ in the first place (the first time he tried to get Bleach serialized they initially rejected his manuscript because it was too similar to YYH; so I know that much for sure).

Angus

I can only vouch for the first part of Bleach where they have a guy who can see spirits, then meets a shinigami and they team up to do Monster of the Week mixed with Quantum Leap (protagonist can possess a person's body) ghostbusting while trying to keep it a secret from friends and family, who discover they have powers too. YYH manga devotes quite a bit of volume 1 to this activity although the part where Yusuke returns to being human came sooner than I expected.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 06, 2011, 02:08:43 PM
I'd give you my own alternate ending, but you know, my point was kind of that it would be Togashi's job to do that. I think Desensitized put it best himself in an earlier post for the Chapter Black arc, but I'll apply it to the series in general: Nobody can do an alternate ending for YYH except for Togashi (and also those guys that both me and Desensitized actually said DID do a better alternate ending than Togashi, but for the sake of being lazy I'm going to pretend that we never said that), because YYH is pure Togashi. The thing is, the guy has his own unique style of story-telling that no other writer in the world can match because its purely his stuff.

And when you try to shamelessly rip off his stuff you get Bleach. :>
I still remember the day I told you Bleach ripped off Yu yu Hakusho

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 06, 2011, 03:43:42 PM
Was it ever officially stated anywhere that Kubo was a fan of Togashi? I'm just curious, because I've heard people say this before (and I wouldn't have a hard time believing it myself), but I've never seen that he actually stated such to be the case, anywhere. That said, there's certainly no way that I would believe that he hasn't ever read or seen anything by Togashi, because he quite clearly has had to in order to get Bleach published by WSJ in the first place (the first time he tried to get Bleach serialized they initially rejected his manuscript because it was too similar to YYH; so I know that much for sure).
I'm not good with sourcing anime news, but I'm pretty sure there was an interview that asked for his inspiration or whatever, and it was Togashi, Toriyama, and a third mangaka I can't remember. Either way, those are usually the stock answers. So he probably was inspired by Togashi in some way. I'm usually the last to ever scream rip off, because I know most people don't do it intentionally, but I don't think anyone is telling Kubo that this arc is treading a thin line.

If the mansion that was just revealed in the current arc turns out to have some sort of "quiz" or "puzzle" element outside of a fight, then something screwy is going on.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, the Bleach fillers already ripped off the whole "puzzle mansion" thing from YYH, so it'd be redundant for Kubo to rip that part off himself.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 06, 2011, 06:50:08 PM
Well, the Bleach fillers already ripped off the whole "puzzle mansion" thing from YYH, so it'd be redundant for Kubo to rip that part off himself.
I haven't seen that filler but apparently this mansion is designed extraordinarily similar to that one according to the fans.

Huh.

Rynnec

Eh, just more Kubo trollin'.