Yu Yu Hakusho

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 06:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

When I say objectively better I mean shows that had more consistent runs, better animation, and/or are accessible to more people in general.

Stuff like:
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Madoka Magica
The Woman Called Fujiko Mine
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket

And in Western Animation:
Gargoyles
The Spectacular Spider-Man
Batman: The Animated Series

And those are just some examples. I could recommend those shows to almost anyone and a large chunk of people would enjoy them on both a casual level and a critical, analytical level. Comparatively, a 40+ episode tournament arc, multi-episode fights, inconsistent animation, and a relatively weak final arc would be a hard sell for a lot of people who don't already like shonen.

Despite all of that, it is my favorite animated show of all time.

LumRanmaYasha

When it comes to my favorites, I find the objective quality of something is not nearly as important as how much I get out of it on a personal, emotional level. All my favorite shows tend to really mean or represent something to me beyond just being really entertaining, well-written, and well-done. Even if something else might be objectively better, a flawed show that strikes me in a truly intimate way is just going to mean more to me than a more consistent series that doesn't elicit quite as strong a reaction from me, even if I really like or even love that show too.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I feel exactly the same way, hence why YYH and AnJ2 are my favorite animated series ever.

Foggle

Quote from: Cartoon X on February 17, 2015, 10:12:19 PM
When it comes to my favorites, I find the objective quality of something is not nearly as important as how much I get out of it on a personal, emotional level.
Yep.

gunswordfist

lol, july 1974.

and i agree with pb.

i need to get around to finishing the episode and two halfs of chapter black i have missed.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

I just don't see how we can determine what's "objectively" better. I mean, art is subjective. Who is to say that The Godfather is a better film than Vertigo, or vice versa? Yu Yu Hakusho is a high quality product. As is Cowboy Bebop. Determining which of those is better is up to opinion.

This isn't necessarily in response to your response to me, E-K. I wholly agree with you in saying that the shows you listed are more consistent and accessible... at least, the shows you listed that I've seen. I should get back to Galactic Heroes.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just realized that this December will mark YYH's 25th anniversary. Technically that applies to the manga, but I'd say that it counts for the entire property. I should probably plan a write-up around that when the time comes.

Avaitor

Heh, really? Well, this will make my new plan for here an even better idea now. .3.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah. I can't wait for "that" plan. :humhumhum:

LumRanmaYasha

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I'll just let Avaitor bring it up whenever he's ready.

talonmalon333

Wasn't sure if this should go here or in the video game thread...

Did any of you guys play any of the YYH video games? I think I played all three that were released in North America. Dark Tournament, for the PS2, I recognize isn't a very good fighting game. I mostly just have nostalgia attached to it. I do like this menu theme, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH0M35QxVA4

Other than that, Tournament Tactics is a mediocre tacical RPG. Spirit Detective is a downright terrible game.

talonmalon333

What would you guys call the top best fights in the series?

gunswordfist

So far, every Dark Tournament Final fight, excluding Kuwabara's.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I loved that scene from Kuwabara's fight where Elder Toguro mocks (the then dead) Genkai right in front of him. It's a really sick and twisted scene for him and a great emotional moment for Kuwabara.

As for favorite fights, I'd go with Team Urameshi vs. Team Masho as my favorite "traditional" set of fights, as it was filled with an intense sense of desperation as Team Urameshi was at a disadvantage the entire time and were forced to use clever strategy to prevail.

My favorite "psychological" fight is Yusuke vs. Doctor.

My favorite "emotional" fight is Yusuke vs. Younger Toguro in the DT finals.

My favorite "personal grudge" fight is Kurama vs. "Gourmet" (I'm listing the alias to avoid spoilers).

Those are my personal favorite fights in the series, each for very different reasons.