Started by Avaitor, July 01, 2011, 08:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 29, 2013, 02:18:21 PM
I don't sympathize with the Equalists at all. The closest I came to doing that was when Tarlokk arrested all those non-benders...who weren't Equalists. The Equalists come off bullies who are sad that the power isn't on their side.
Yeah, that's the thing. They could have been set up in a sympathetic light to create an interesting dynamic, but ended up just being run-of-the-mill terrorists. 

QuoteHow underused Asami was has become even more apparent to me. She's the team's only driver, she can operate a mech and once I think about it, she's the only team member who has never lost to an Equalist and is probably better than any non-Amon individual in that group, seeing how she quickly defeated the Lieutenant (electric sticks guy) She could have really shined as another strong heroine on the show but they tossed her further and further in the background for Mako and Korra's stupid relationship.
Completely agreed. Asami is the first female Avatar I ever really cared about, but of course she had to be shoved aside for Mako and Korra's horrendous "romance".

QuoteAnd Bolin is a victim of this too. Except he became "guy who throws rocks here and there" right after the finals. He's still my favorite character but his corny loud interruptions are kind of bad at that point in the show. His quieter ones like when he brought up that Korra could still airbend in the last episode are still funny though.
Bolin was my character right off the bat, so I wasn't very happy about him be shoved aside for the Makorra tumor.

QuoteKorra reminds me a bit of what I don't like about Azula with how she gets what she wants no matter what. The last episode (which is my least favorite due to how rushed it feels) she gets Mako and her bending back by doing pretty much nothing and she powered her way through beating Amon by looking like she was firebending...but with air, completely ignoring everything Tenzin taught her about airbending. I do like Korra though. She's my 3rd favorite character and I'm proud that the Avatar staff showed that a girl can be a strong superhero in the main lead of a big show.
Korra herself is one of my biggest problems with the show so far. Not only does she have everything handed to her, but she doesn't learn anything and never thinks anything out.

QuoteThat fight and seeing his kids blow through the Equalists shows how good Airbending is against them.
I fucking hated that seen. And anything with Meelo.

Spark Of Spirit

It was sort of annoying how often Tenzin was jobbed, actually. 12 year old Aang lasted longer in fights than he did and he also didn't have any other bending at the time.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Heh, I can see how the AB kids could annoy you.

Yeah, Korra really didn't learn anything. In the 1st finale episode, she was talking about knocking heads and she went on to get her way by saying she wants to go after Amon, got her way and then goes on to muscle her way through him.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 29, 2013, 03:27:04 PM
It was sort of annoying how often Tenzin was jobbed, actually. 12 year old Aang lasted longer in fights than he did and he also didn't have any other bending at the time.
I think Aang is flat out better than Tenzin. Airbending has a lot to do with dodging and Aang was much faster.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 29, 2013, 03:50:51 PM
Yeah, Korra really didn't learn anything. In the 1st finale episode, she was talking about knocking heads and she went on to get her way by saying she wants to go after Amon, got her way and then goes on to muscle her way through him.

Indeed.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 29, 2013, 03:27:04 PM
I think Aang is flat out better than Tenzin. Airbending has a lot to do with dodging and Aang was much faster.
To be fair, it seemed Tezin was using more out right attaches then dodging.

gunswordfist

:D Looks like Tumblr caught on to that too.

Attaches? Also, Tenzin only got knocked out from a sneak attack and a mech group large enough for Korra to need help as well (and she lost during the first mech battle as well)

The Shadow Gentleman

I honestly don't really remember the fights very well. I've got to rewatch it sometime...

LumRanmaYasha

The fights in this show were bloody fantastic. Presentation and animation wise I thought the show was incredible. Story wise... :oo:

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Cartoon X on May 30, 2013, 01:46:30 PM
The fights in this show were bloddy fantastic. Presentation and animation wise I thought the show was incredible. Story wise... :oo:
Korra is Nick's Young Justice.

Kinda.

gunswordfist

No, Young Justice is directionless. Korra didn't add to many characters and lose focus.

The Shadow Gentleman

I meant that they both had stellar animation and production, but mediocre writing.

gunswordfist

I've been thinking, I think Skeletons In The Closet is on par with Zuko Alone due to Tarlokk's flashback.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 30, 2013, 10:11:19 PM
I've been thinking, I think Skeletons In The Closet is on par with Zuko Alone due to Tarlokk's flashback.

Grave

Despite it's rushed factor I actually like Legend of Korra. The visuals were the draw factor for me, but outside of Mako (especially when he started flip flopping) I actually like the characters whereas in A:TLA, I only liked Toph and Azula (I couldn't stand Aang and don't get me started with Zuko), and even then the fights and the visuals are the reasons I kept watching TLA. I just wish book 1 of LoK was 24/26 episodes instead of 12/13 (I can't remember the number of episodes off the top of my head) because I think it's a huge gamble if you try to cover so much in a matter of 12/13 episodes, especially if said show is not an hour long.

With that said though, I see people with a lot of issues with Korra, and when the series started it took a little bit for Korra to grow onto me. With her having the attitude of a boy just felt kind of awkward for some reason, so it took a bit to get used to (I'm used to seeing boys stupidly rush into situations). Bolin came off as corny to me, but then again I never liked characters who're there for comic relief (I blame that on the short amount of episodes). I had no issues with Tenzin, but I felt like Iroh could've been better, but fighting against airplanes instead of people don't do much for me which is why I think Lin is the best character in the series with Asami following after her.

The Shadow Gentleman

The only Avatar characters I really care about are Aang (pacifists always get me), Sokka, Zuko, Bolin, and Asami. I never really understood why Toph and Lin were so amazing, but that's just me.

Quote from: Grave on June 01, 2013, 12:40:02 AM
I just wish book 1 of LoK was 24/26 episodes instead of 12/13 (I can't remember the number of episodes off the top of my head) because I think it's a huge gamble if you try to cover so much in a matter of 12/13 episodes, especially if said show is not an hour long.
The amount of episodes wasn't the problem. They just tried to do to much and didn't balance everything very well.

gunswordfist

That's not the problem either. They could have resolved the conflict in a less rushed manner if they didn't keep putting Korra back at square one. Like we've been talking about, her impatience remained the same and they tried to make her Airbending such a last minute big deal but the payoff was terrible