Started by Avaitor, July 01, 2011, 08:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: ShadowGentleman on June 16, 2013, 11:57:12 AM
Quote from: gunswordfist on June 16, 2013, 10:17:49 AM
I do. Or at least I did because my last rewatching of Korra and me really seeing the show's flaws and the recent discussion that reminded me how great ATLA is is making me think otherwise.
This. I was really loving Korra up until the last episode, which really got me to rethink everything.

Yeah, I was really loving Korra and thought the show didn't really have any problems until the first time I saw the deus ex machina finale

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 16, 2013, 01:32:25 PM
Yeah, that was a great episode. This show could also stand to use some more humor. Maybe I'm the only one, but while the humor started out kind of weak and even occasionally annoying in The Last Airbender, I found that it got a much needed improvement in seasons 2 and 3, with a lot more legitimately funny jokes and moments thrown into the mix, which also helped give a bit more variety to the tone of the series. Ironically most of that humor came from characters OTHER than Sokka (I actually never found Sokka that funny, even though he was clearly intended to be the show's comic relief), more-so from the likes of characters like Toph and Zuko, with the former just being entertaining because of how much she clashed with everyone else in terms of personality, and the latter being in how he was a serious character but found himself in many awkward situations in which he didn't know the proper way to act.
I actually thought the show's humor was overrated until Season 3. I was impressed.

And yeah, Sokka barely made me laugh too. Like I said before, he's an underused and misused character
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I've never been one of those people where I find that a bad ending ruins everything for me. I was aware of Korra's flaws and strengths while watching the show, and I went into it with my expectations in check, so as it stands I liked the majority of what it had to offer. That said, if you are one of those people where a bad ending ruins everything for you, then I can certainly understand why Korra may have fallen completely flat for you.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 16, 2013, 07:15:53 PM
Well, I've never been one of those people where I find that a bad ending ruins everything for me. I was aware of Korra's flaws and strengths while watching the show, and I went into it with my expectations in check, so as it stands I liked the majority of what it had to offer. That said, if you are one of those people where a bad ending ruins everything for you, then I can certainly understand why Korra may have fallen completely flat for you.
No, I still liked it more than ATLA even after the ending. It did effect how much I liked the show overall though. And I didn't really start to question the shows quality until I starting really paying attention to flaws it had throughout all of its episodes during my last viewing of the show

The Shadow Gentleman

Yeah, I really do like the concept, feel, and ideas of Korra more than TLA, but I'm a sucker for 20s inspired stuff as it is.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm just glad that they showed us that the world of Avatar does actually change and evolve over time. I always got the sense that there was no real technological progression of major significance made over the 100 year war based on the flash-backs of the time period before Aang froze himself and Apa in ice and after he awakened and started his journey and training to master the rest of the bending elements. It makes sense that after 70+ years from the end of TLA that there would be some major changes to the point of actually developing a 1920's style city. At the same time, there's just enough stuff that resembles the original series that makes this one not feel out of place in terms of being in the same Universe.

gunswordfist

Daxdiv

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 17, 2013, 02:25:53 PM
What do y'all think of Amon?

I honestly thought that he was the best thing in Korra. Shame they swept his message under the rug, since I always thought that he kind of had a few points to them, like how there isn't a non-bender on the council and benders using their ability to oppress non-benders, especially when Tarrlok came into power.

The Shadow Gentleman

Personally, I thought it would have been cool if Amon's identity was never revealed, and he took all his secrets to the grave. It would have been at least been better then giving him the same back story as 75% of the people in the series.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Speaking of Amon, you know something that bugs me about him? Remember when he could have taken Korra's bending abilities away from her in the middle of the series but said that he was saving her for last because he had a plan? Well, maybe I'm just slow, but what was his plan in that regard, exactly? I still never got by the end why he had to wait to take Korra's bending away other than for plot convenience. That's something I still don't get no matter how much I try to think it through.

Rynnec

I think he said something about not wanting Korra to be seen as a martyr. Which is why he waited until she confronted him in the finale, where it would more or less be seen as Amon defending himself from someone "abusing their power".

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, but the thing is, I never bought that excuse. He already had enough people convinced that benders were a work of the devil (which of course includes the Avatar), and Korra publicly challenged him so its not like she wouldn't have been prepared for him (in the eyes of the public, of course, as Korra herself was too knuckle-headed to come up with a proper plan for if he did show up and ambush her....which he did), which basically means that he really had no reason to spare her at that point. I mean, if anything it should have made him look worse when he decided to actually take her powers away, since everyone (including his own followers) knew that he was the one behind the major attack on Republic City, and in this instance it was clear that Korra and co. were trying to defend the city at all costs, so if anything would make her look more heroic, it would be losing to Aman in that instance.

Either way, I found Aman to be a nice idea for a villain that just wasn't executed as well as he could've been. For that reason, it might just be better that he got killed off at the end of the season, so that way the writers can make room for a potentially more interesting villain without having to bring Aman up anymore.

gunswordfist

Quote from: ShadowGentleman on June 18, 2013, 03:09:51 PM
Personally, I thought it would have been cool if Amon's identity was never revealed, and he took all his secrets to the grave. It would have been at least been better then giving him the same back story as 75% of the people in the series.
The fuck you talking about? :whuh:
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 18, 2013, 08:20:07 PM
Yeah, but the thing is, I never bought that excuse. He already had enough people convinced that benders were a work of the devil (which of course includes the Avatar), and Korra publicly challenged him so its not like she wouldn't have been prepared for him (in the eyes of the public, of course, as Korra herself was too knuckle-headed to come up with a proper plan for if he did show up and ambush her....which he did), which basically means that he really had no reason to spare her at that point. I mean, if anything it should have made him look worse when he decided to actually take her powers away, since everyone (including his own followers) knew that he was the one behind the major attack on Republic City, and in this instance it was clear that Korra and co. were trying to defend the city at all costs, so if anything would make her look more heroic, it would be losing to Aman in that instance.

Either way, I found Aman to be a nice idea for a villain that just wasn't executed as well as he could've been. For that reason, it might just be better that he got killed off at the end of the season, so that way the writers can make room for a potentially more interesting villain without having to bring Aman up anymore.
You got a point about the challenge. They clearly did that to make him seem intimidating. On that note, they did a pretty good job imo. I was convinced he could beat just about any bender even before the bloodbending reveal. I had no problem with him being a bender. My problem was already stated. I don't sympathize with him or any Equalist. If the show convinced me that he actually thought bending made the world a worse place then I'd have no problem with Amon at all.

Also, did anyone else think he was based off of Hitler. I personally think it's very obvious. I wonder if the show's staff can even say they have a villain influenced by him

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 20, 2013, 05:31:38 PM
Quote from: ShadowGentleman on June 18, 2013, 03:09:51 PM
The fuck you talking about? :whuh:
Sorry, a bit of cosmetic exaggeration. I'm referring to the fact that
Spoiler
Amon had problems with a parent, kind of like Zuko, Azula, Mai, and Toph. The way several major characters act is the result of the way their parents acted, either through abuse or neglect.
[close]

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, Doug just finished V-logging through all of season 1 of Avatar. Its funny, since I'm really only a casual fan of the show at this point (I did like it quite a  bit, mostly for seasons 2 and 3, but I wouldn't say its one of my favorite shows by any stretch, either), but even I was able to notice a lot more stuff just watching through the series (or even this season) once that Doug seems to miss (and I'm talking about stuff that's pretty hard to miss). I mean, the part where he questioned how waterbenders draw their power from the moon, and then said something along the lines...."because the moon makes the water....colder?" I mean, seriously? Even if you missed the explanation in the episode, is it that hard to make the connection that the moon controls the tides, and therefore can be seen as a symbolic "waterbender?"

That said, I still find these videos amusing if only because its entertaining and kind of funny to see Doug try and pick apart this series and its morals. While that kind of applies to season 1, season 2 has a lot of intertwined episodes that just tell a grander story and don't really have as many individual morals, so I'm not sure how he's going to go about looking through that season.

One thing I will say that actually bothers me is the comments below Doug's videos. That right there explains why I can't stand about 90% of any given fan-base. OK, Doug misses a lot of obvious shit, so people want to point that out. I get it. But at the same time, people go bat-shit insane over the some of the dumbest details. Its like you're expected to watch an episode multiple times and take extensive notes on it and treat every V-log like an in-depth freaking review for it to be worth putting up. The dude's just watching the series casually and giving his brief thoughts on it like how any normal person would do if they only had a limited amount of time on their hands (or even cared).

The Shadow Gentleman

Yeah, I honestly think Avatar has one of the most rapid fan bases outside of anime. I mean, it's a good show, but sometimes I feel like it's put on a pedestal and gets more attention then other equally good shows.