Started by Avaitor, July 01, 2011, 08:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: ShadowGentleman on September 28, 2013, 02:36:44 PMIt probably is a strong term, but it still doesn't sit well with me. I mean, the guy didn't know what she was really like until it was to late, and she (supposedly) threatened to do some nasty stuff to him when he tried to break up with her. I guess I just can't stand how they're keeping Bolin stuck as the comedy relief who never gets to have a serious moment. It seems like a waste of some perfectly good character development.

It would annoy me if they made it like Bolin was just taking the abuse and doing nothing about it, and we were supposed to find that funny. But, clearly he's trying to get away from her, and he does in this episode (at least for now), so it's not like his character is really being demeaned here. And as for having no role but comic relief, that's what Bolin was in season one. At least in this season he has an actual role of some importance, as he is the character with the strongest connection to Varrick, who himself has actually proven to be an important element of this season's plot. Thanks to Bolin, Varrick is now helping Korra and company escape to the United Republic, so Bolin does definitely have some use in this season so far.

QuoteBut I have to admit, Eska's face at the end was hilarious. :D

I have a feeling that her character is going to change when she realizes that she can't control Bolin, anymore. At least, I hope that's the route they go with, this season.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 28, 2013, 02:47:51 PM
It would annoy me if they made it like Bolin was just taking the abuse and doing nothing about it, and we were supposed to find that funny. But, clearly he's trying to get away from her, and he does in this episode (at least for now), so it's not like his character is really being demeaned here.
Good point. For me, it comes done to personal taste. I tend to only find this kind of situation funny when it happens to someone who's kind of a jerk (comedic karma, so to speak). But a lot of Avatar's jokes always fell flat to me anyway.

QuoteAnd as for having no role but comic relief, that's what Bolin was in season one.
There does seem to be a trend in this show were the characters I have the most interest in following get the shaft in some way (the exception being Tenzin).

QuoteAt least in this season he has an actual role of some importance, as he is the character with the strongest connection to Varrick, who himself has actually proven to be an important element of this season's plot. Thanks to Bolin, Varrick is now helping Korra and company escape to the United Republic, so Bolin does definitely have some use in this season so far.
True, his relationship with Varrick (who's my favorite new character, btw) has been something I've enjoyed. I wonder if it will lead to a career change...

QuoteI have a feeling that her character is going to change when she realizes that she can't control Bolin, anymore. At least, I hope that's the route they go with, this season.
I'm hoping for that as well.

Spark Of Spirit

I think we can all agree that Tenzin is the best part of the show.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 29, 2013, 09:06:31 PM
I think we can all agree that Tenzin is the best part of the show.

This is something I can get behind.

Also an interesting thing I've been hearing is that some episodes of Season 2 of Korra will air on Nicktoons first. On October 9th and 10th at 8:30 PM, a new episode will air after a Digimon rerun. Not sure what this says about Nick's faith in Korra or if this is an error.

Peanutbutter

Tenzin is indeed the best character, last episode was exactly why itself. That said, I still think some people are a bit harsh on Korra. I get her attitude being a problem in the first two episodes, but she's redeemed herself in the third and fourth episode with me. She's still a bit reckless, like with that judge, but to be fair that judge was very suspicious and considering how some people complain that she should have somehow know right off the bat that her uncle was evil, I think she had enough reason to suspect the judge was crooked.

Daikun

Oh, look. The suspected evil bad guy was evil and a bad guy all along. Who saw that coming?

For god's sake, Korra. Grow a brain!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm more annoyed that Korra couldn't figure it out herself than that they went that cliche route in the first place. On the other hand, though, I agree with Rob Walker that it's good that they at least got that stuff out of the way early one. I mean, since everyone saw it coming to begin with, did anyone really want them dragging that out through the whole season?

Hopefully the rest of the season manages to be less conventional than the first few episodes of this one have. But, like I said, I didn't have that big of a problem with the cliche plot to begin with, if only because Avatar: The Last Airbender was always fairly predictable with its plotting, to begin with. I think where this series falters in comparison to the original is in the writing for its characters, but once again I think that they got Tenzin and the adults in the series down pretty well. It's ironically the younger crowd (or at least Korra and her friends) where a majority of this show's writing problems arise.

Rynnec

Well, Avatar's adult characters always seemed more interesting than the younger characters, so that's nothing new. On the other hand, the younger characters of TLA weren't as bland and one-dimensional as Korra's.

GregX

Mako is bland at his best, despicable at his worst (and the Bryke doesn't intend for us to think that). Bolin isn't funny, he's just stupid... I'm beginning to wonder how he even wipes himself... and his sort of humor is out of place in the show. Both of them are horrible characters who need to be taken out back and shot.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Daikun on October 01, 2013, 01:20:24 AM
Oh, look. The suspected evil bad guy was evil and a bad guy all along. Who saw that coming?

For god's sake, Korra. Grow a brain!

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 01, 2013, 02:30:44 PM
I'm more annoyed that Korra couldn't figure it out herself than that they went that cliche route in the first place. On the other hand, though, I agree with Rob Walker that it's good that they at least got that stuff out of the way early one. I mean, since everyone saw it coming to begin with, did anyone really want them dragging that out through the whole season?

Hopefully the rest of the season manages to be less conventional than the first few episodes of this one have. But, like I said, I didn't have that big of a problem with the cliche plot to begin with, if only because Avatar: The Last Airbender was always fairly predictable with its plotting, to begin with. I think where this series falters in comparison to the original is in the writing for its characters, but once again I think that they got Tenzin and the adults in the series down pretty well. It's ironically the younger crowd (or at least Korra and her friends) where a majority of this show's writing problems arise.

The guy may have seemed evil to viewers, but the guy is her uncle. Of course she was going to trust him. That makes her naive, not stupid. She guessed correctly about that judge. I don't  Unalaq was supposed to be a secret, hence why he's been revealed already. There's plenty of episodes left this season, I'd rather wait and see what his plans are and how they involve the spirits before judging this season as being "too cliche".

Daxdiv

So they're moving Korra to 8:30 PM. You think this will help Korra with it's rating problem or is this something else?

Spark Of Spirit

"The Northern Water tribe is really acting aggressive."
"I saw a firebender walking away from the blast. It might not be the Northern Water tribe."
"Of course it's the Northern Water tribe, who else could it be?"

Really, Korra?  :D
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

The Shadow Gentleman

I actually kind of liked this episode. Korra's ever increasing stupidity aside.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, it was okay. Head-slapping moments involving Korra are just too much.  :D

Daxdiv

You know... I'm starting to think that Mako is the only character from Season 1 that isn't in Tenzin's family that isn't pants-on-head stupid. Of course, Korra is probably helping with that.

Also, Varrick is still one of the best characters, if he turns out to be evil in the end, I will root for him.