Started by Avaitor, July 01, 2011, 08:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peanutbutter

How exactly or why is Mako bland? Bland would be if he were meandering about like Bolin earlier this season. Now his actions affect the plot. I'd say he has changed a bit since last season.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Peanutbutter on October 26, 2013, 11:55:17 AM
How exactly or why is Mako bland? Bland would be if he were meandering about like Bolin earlier this season. Now his actions affect the plot. I'd say he has changed a bit since last season.
Affecting the plot doesnt equate a developed personality, which is something Mako (and Bolin) kind of lacks at the moment.

gunswordfist

1-Dimensional doesn't equal boring. Now THAT'S not a counter-argument. When I see Ozai onscreen, I don't fall asleep. Hearing Ozai say lines like "...in this world, MY WORLD!" cracks me up. :D The whole dilemma with Ozai being an unimaginably evil guy that Aang had pretty much no reason not to kill ended up working out well anyway.

Stick to reading Naruto chapters and thinking Gauron smiling in a prison makes him a good villain. And I never said Ozai was a good villain, just not a boring one.

I never disagreed about Amon and Unalaq. I just shared my thoughts on them there. And Azula is a TERRIBLE villain. She is pretty much a robot until she talks about her mom in the beach fire in Book 3. She relies on her vast resources and extremely powerful bending more than her wit. Even Zhao is a better villain than her. And somehow you forgot Zuko was an ATLA for the 2nd time within a month. :D

And yes being pushed around by gangsters is funnier. Only a complete fool would think a textbook non-physically abusive relationship is funny. Even freaking wikipedia can teach you that's what Bolin was in with Eska, ya maroon. :>
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: ShadowGentleman on October 26, 2013, 12:38:33 PM
Quote from: Peanutbutter on October 26, 2013, 11:55:17 AM
Affecting the plot doesnt equate a developed personality, which something Mako (and Bolin) kind of lacks at the moment.
BINGO!

Anyway, who else think Mako looks like Wan?

It's confusing how they changed the first benders getting bending from lion turtles instead of from watching moles/bison/dragons/tides.

How did Wan's or anyone from the past's bending hurt spirits but Kora can't?

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 26, 2013, 07:36:09 PM
:unimpressed:

QuoteIt's confusing how they changed the first benders getting bending from lion turtles instead of from watching moles/bison/dragons/tides.
I understood it to mean the Lion Turtles gave them the ability to bend, but they mastered it by observing the animals that already had it.

Nel_Annette

No, Mako and Wan did have pretty similar faces. It's something I noticed almost immediately watching the episode.

LumRanmaYasha

Oh god, I hope it doesn't turn out that Mako is a descendant of Wan.... :srs:

Nel_Annette

Well, 10,000 years down the line, I suppose a good chunk of the population could be descendants of Wan's, you know?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 26, 2013, 07:28:03 PM1-Dimensional doesn't equal boring. Now THAT'S not a counter-argument. When I see Ozai onscreen, I don't fall asleep. Hearing Ozai say lines like "...in this world, MY WORLD!" cracks me up. :D The whole dilemma with Ozai being an unimaginably evil guy that Aang had pretty much no reason not to kill ended up working out well anyway.

That's supposed to be an argument? So basically you're saying that the lazy writing for Ozai's character makes him a good villain? Like, that's literally your evidence for backing up your claim? My god, GSF, you idiocy is beyond words. :srs:

QuoteStick to reading Naruto chapters and thinking Gauron smiling in a prison makes him a good villain. And I never said Ozai was a good villain, just not a boring one.

You also suck when it comes to insults. First of all, I HATE Naruto, and haven't even been reading it for weeks, now (so insulting the series doesn't really bother me in the least). And unlike you, I was never fooled into thinking that Gauron was more than he actually was. He was always presented as a psychotic mercenary, and the series played it up to intentionally campy delivery. It worked because the series was self-aware that he was not a complex villain, and his scenes were just plain entertaining as hell. THAT's an example of how you do a 1-dimensional villain right (also I know for a fact that you've never actually watched FMP). The creators and writers of Avatar obviously took Ozai pretty seriously, yet didn't give him the same amount of character depth and attention to detail that they gave almost every other character in the show (including supporting characters).

QuoteI never disagreed about Amon and Unalaq. I just shared my thoughts on them there. And Azula is a TERRIBLE villain. She is pretty much a robot until she talks about her mom in the beach fire in Book 3. She relies on her vast resources and extremely powerful bending more than her wit. Even Zhao is a better villain than her. And somehow you forgot Zuko was an ATLA for the 2nd time within a month. :D

Azula is an unlikable and despicable villain, but she is still well-written. Something an action-hungry dumb-ass such as yourself can't seem to discern. The problems that Azula had with her mother were displayed as early on as Book 2, in the episode Zuko Alone. Just because it wasn't outright explained through exposition doesn't mean it wasn't there. The scenes clearly displayed that Azula was not on good terms with her mother, and that her mother showed a lot more affection towards Zuko. I suppose you've watched a bit too much DBZ to understand something like that unless the show explains it right to your face, though.

And as for saying that she relies on her bending more than her wit, I can pretty much prove you factually wrong through EVIDENCE:

-She conquers the Earth Kingdom through strategy and deception, not bending

-When she is cornered by Aang and Katara, she manipulates Zuko to her side, rather than relying on her own brute force

-She thwarts The Day of Black Sun invasion through trickery, and actually flat-out could NOT bend during that time

Those are 3 HUGE occurrences in the show where she would not have prevailed with bending alone. If you think that's wrong, show me evidence of how much she accomplished (and I mean, actual BIG things in the series that she was behind), where she relied on her bending talent alone, or at least more so than any sort of sound strategies.

GSF, Here's your problem: You are just a sore-loser. You can't admire when someone has clearly proven you wrong, so you just resort to childish mud-slinging and try to counter someone else by saying that they are wrong and that the obvious right opinion is the opposite of what they think. You almost never actually offer up any evidence to support your claims, and when you do, it's usually pretty weak. Yet, like a true hypocrite, whenever someone corners you with reasonable evidence, you just brush it off in an attempt to save face, not realizing that it makes you look like even more of an idiot to everyone else.

QuoteAnd yes being pushed around by gangsters is funnier. Only a complete fool would think a textbook non-physically abusive relationship is funny. Even freaking wikipedia can teach you that's what Bolin was in with Eska, ya maroon. :>

And....Here's my case in point.

Being pushed around by gangsters who can get you killed at any moment is funny, in your opinion? How? Explain to me just how that is funny? Getting bullied by an obnoxious girlfriend type character is a staple that has existed in many comedies for a long time, now. Avatar was far from the first series to do it, and obviously that's a formula that has been repeated because some people find it amusing.

Also....Wikipedia....really?

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 26, 2013, 09:22:00 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on October 26, 2013, 07:28:03 PM1-Dimensional doesn't equal boring. Now THAT'S not a counter-argument. When I see Ozai onscreen, I don't fall asleep. Hearing Ozai say lines like "...in this world, MY WORLD!" cracks me up. :D The whole dilemma with Ozai being an unimaginably evil guy that Aang had pretty much no reason not to kill ended up working out well anyway.

That's supposed to be an argument? So basically you're saying that the lazy writing for Ozai's character makes him a good villain? Like, that's literally your evidence for backing up your claim? My god, GSF, you idiocy is beyond words. :srs:

QuoteStick to reading Naruto chapters and thinking Gauron smiling in a prison makes him a good villain. And I never said Ozai was a good villain, just not a boring one.

You also suck when it comes to insults. First of all, I HATE Naruto, and haven't even been reading it for weeks, now (so insulting the series doesn't really bother me in the least). And unlike you, I was never fooled into thinking that Gauron was more than he actually was. He was always presented as a psychotic mercenary, and the series played it up to intentionally campy delivery. It worked because the series was self-aware that he was not a complex villain, and his scenes were just plain entertaining as hell. THAT's an example of how you do a 1-dimensional villain right (also I know for a fact that you've never actually watched FMP). The creators and writers of Avatar obviously took Ozai pretty seriously, yet didn't give him the same amount of character depth and attention to detail that they gave almost every other character in the show (including supporting characters).

QuoteI never disagreed about Amon and Unalaq. I just shared my thoughts on them there. And Azula is a TERRIBLE villain. She is pretty much a robot until she talks about her mom in the beach fire in Book 3. She relies on her vast resources and extremely powerful bending more than her wit. Even Zhao is a better villain than her. And somehow you forgot Zuko was an ATLA for the 2nd time within a month. :D

Azula is an unlikable and despicable villain, but she is still well-written. Something an action-hungry dumb-ass such as yourself can't seem to discern. The problems that Azula had with her mother were displayed as early on as Book 2, in the episode Zuko Alone. Just because it wasn't outright explained through exposition doesn't mean it wasn't there. The scenes clearly displayed that Azula was not on good terms with her mother, and that her mother showed a lot more affection towards Zuko. I suppose you've watched a bit too much DBZ to understand something like that unless the show explains it right to your face, though.

And as for saying that she relies on her bending more than her wit, I can pretty much prove you factually wrong through EVIDENCE:

-She conquers the Earth Kingdom through strategy and deception, not bending

-When she is cornered by Aang and Katara, she manipulates Zuko to her side, rather than relying on her own brute force

-She thwarts The Day of Black Sun invasion through trickery, and actually flat-out could NOT bend during that time

Those are 3 HUGE occurrences in the show where she would not have prevailed with bending alone. If you think that's wrong, show me evidence of how much she accomplished (and I mean, actual BIG things in the series that she was behind), where she relied on her bending talent alone, or at least more so than any sort of sound strategies.

GSF, Here's your problem: You are just a sore-loser. You can't admire when someone has clearly proven you wrong, so you just resort to childish mud-slinging and try to counter someone else by saying that they are wrong and that the obvious right opinion is the opposite of what they think. You almost never actually offer up any evidence to support your claims, and when you do, it's usually pretty weak. Yet, like a true hypocrite, whenever someone corners you with reasonable evidence, you just brush it off in an attempt to save face, not realizing that it makes you look like even more of an idiot to everyone else.

QuoteAnd yes being pushed around by gangsters is funnier. Only a complete fool would think a textbook non-physically abusive relationship is funny. Even freaking wikipedia can teach you that's what Bolin was in with Eska, ya maroon. :>

And....Here's my case in point.

Being pushed around by gangsters who can get you killed at any moment is funny, in your opinion? How? Explain to me just how that is funny? Getting bullied by an obnoxious girlfriend type character is a staple that has existed in many comedies for a long time, now. Avatar was far from the first series to do it, and obviously that's a formula that has been repeated because some people find it amusing.

Also....Wikipedia....really?
You dumbfuck, I said Ozai was not a good villain right below that. Do you even know how to read?

Yes I know about Zuko Alone. You failed to mention how Azula doesn't come off as more than a flat, cold character in all of Book 2 though. She is the same throughout that entire season.

And I said more through bending and RESOURCES. Please actually read my posts.

Azula didn't fully conquer Ba Sing Se until she killed Aang with her BENDING and then The Earth King left with them.

You also forgot to mention how Eska threatened to kill Bolin. You left that detail out just like how you left out mentioning Zuko AGAIN! I expect gangsters to try and kill a hero but when your gf threatens to, then that's just fucked up. :D

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 26, 2013, 10:05:49 PMYou dumbfuck, I said Ozai was not a good villain right below that. Do you even know how to read?

You said he's not a boring villain. He is. There is literally nothing interesting about his character. He's just the villain. End of story.

QuoteYes I know about Zuko Alone. You failed to mention how Azula doesn't come off as more than a flat, cold character in all of Book 2 though. She is the same throughout that entire season.

I said that she's unlikable and despicable. That's the fucking point, dumb-shit. She's that way in Book 3 as well, in case you didn't notice. The whole point of her character is that she was never mentally stable and grew increasingly out of control as time went on.

QuoteAnd I said more through bending and RESOURCES. Please actually read my posts.

I did read your dumb-ass post. Now you're just playing around with wording. What you were intending to say is that she was a bad villain just because she was powerful, and you insinuated that she relied more on her power than her wit, which I pretty much just proved wrong by pointing out how all of her big accomplishments in the series had more to do with her planning than just her being good at bending.

QuoteAzula didn't fully conquer Ba Sing Se until she killed Aang with her BENDING and then The Earth King left with them.

This is yet another example of how you try to brush off a clear point I made and ignore my presenting evidence. She killed Aang with bending, sure. Now, I know this is hard for you, GSF, but just try to wrack your brains for a moment and consider just how the fuck she even cornered Aang in the first place and forced his hand to make him resort to the Avatar State. She conquered the Dai Li (WITHOUT bending) and turned Zuko to her side (WITHOUT bending), leaving Aang and Katara at a huge disadvantage. She also had the sense to strike Aang when he was defenseless for a moment as he entered the Avatar State, so even in that case she used quick thinking in addition to bending. There's no way she would have even infiltrated the city in the first place without using careful planning, and thus never could have confronted Aang in the first place if she just relied on bending. So, you are just flat-out ignoring a legitimate point I made because you are wrong about it. Typical GSF.

QuoteYou also forgot to mention how Eska threatened to kill Bolin. You left that detail out just like how you left out mentioning Zuko AGAIN! I expect gangsters to try and kill a hero but when your gf threatens to, then that's just fucked up. :D

Eska threatening to kill Bolin came AFTER he broke up with her, dumb-fuck. I didn't leave anything out. The humor of their relationship was just for the brief period of time that Bolin was basically under Eska's control. Any threats she made to him during that time obviously weren't meant to be taken seriously, but of course you're the only idiot who takes everything seriously.

As for the gangsters, I still have no explanation from you about how gangsters potentially killing a guy is FUNNY? You insinuated that it was more acceptable for some reason, but the thing is, the show didn't actually even play that part of Book 1 up for laughs, at all. That part was actually played straight and seriously in the show, so I have no idea how you even think that's what Bolin's humor in Book 1 consisted of. Now, him crying like a little girl because Korra kissed Mako in front of him was played up for laughs. It was an idiotic scene, so I'd like an explanation of how you find that funny as well, because that was essentially Book 1's brand of humor for Bolin.

gunswordfist

Quote from: ShadowGentleman on October 26, 2013, 07:51:15 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on October 26, 2013, 07:36:09 PM
:unimpressed:

QuoteIt's confusing how they changed the first benders getting bending from lion turtles instead of from watching moles/bison/dragons/tides.
I understood it to mean the Lion Turtles gave them the ability to bend, but they mastered it by observing the animals that already had it.
My theory is that more people later on gained the power to bend by observing animals/the tides.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

GSF, Do you have any purpose on this board other than to start arguments?

I deleted your last post because all you did was recycle the same arguments you already made, yet once again failed to actually elaborate on or provide evidence for any of your points.

gunswordfist

It's ok if your heart can't take these arguments or your too scared to admit that you may think Azula is a better villain than Zuko but don't want to say it out loud because it's an unpopular opinion. You always start deleting people's posts out of nowhere when you fear backlash. I personally never give a fuck when my opinion doesn't line up with others but textbook ek is incapable of doing such. ;)

gunswordfist

OK, Varrick. I am guessing he'll threaten to blackmail Asami and Mako if they try to impede his plans and/or Asami and Bolin's lives to keep Mako in check. I hope Bolin realizes that he's been starring in propaganda films. I have a feeling that the writers want to try everyone into thinking the Nuktuk (sp?) are harmless fun but in reality, pretty much just like Varrick said, he's using them to try to get the President to change his mind about the war and a war will of course line Varrick's pockets.

I wonder if Korra will (with words and not fists) try to convince Varrick that a war with be the end of the world as they know it since the negative emotions of both sides of the war will make Vatu and the dark spirits stronger...and they'll kill everyone. I bet that would be a hard sell. In fact, does Varrick even believe there are dark spirits? Has he even seen any? I am willing to bet that he thinks Unalaq made them up.