Started by Avaitor, July 01, 2011, 08:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peanutbutter

Last week's episode was great. It was nice to see Iroh again.

This week's two part episode was good, but there were some rocky moments.

Daxdiv

Well, for the curious they do have the final 2 episodes of Book 2 on the Nick Website. International viewers, you might need a proxy of some sort to get around this.

I will say the finale sure was something. Kind of interested in seeing how Book 3 will handle thing. Yes, I am confident that we're at least getting those 2 other seasons. I mean, what else does Nick have to lose by funding more Korra? They're already losing in the ratings.

Peanutbutter

They wouldn't have lost ratings as much if they had left it on Saturday morning where it aired last time. Or if they didn't keep shuffling it around Friday nights.  :srs:

But at least it seems there are some interesting things that could come into play in the next season.  :thumbup:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I liked the finale to this season. It neatly wrapped up this story arc and also left an interesting opening up for future seasons. For all of the flak that this season got, I didn't think the first half was that bad, as it had elements to it which I enjoyed, and I thought that the 2nd half was some solidly good stuff backed up by well-written material. It's easily the most flawed season of the show, so far, but I think it still holds plenty of its own merit to justify its existence. I'll definitely be watching Book 3 when it comes out next year.

The Shadow Gentleman

These last few episodes where the first time since the series began that I've really enjoyed the it. Glad see Korra finally got some good development and realized an identity outside of being the Avatar. I really loved her talk with Tenzin.

I'm hoping some of the characters that didn't have much focus this season get some in the next. And Varrick needs to come back.

Grave

Outside of episodes 3-6 I finally got a chance to catch up. I also went ahead and looked at the finale as well. Definitely some good stuff there, and I believe I last left off on episode 2, where I had a problem with Korra's attitude. Obviously I was kinda dumbfounded when I saw Asami and Mako back together.

Bolin, for the first time got a chuckle out of me. It's no secret that I don't care for him, but to actually see him shine for once, while I won't say it was a treat, but it was decent. However, before any of that I was definitely getting a bit annoyed (mainly because I don't know how Mako ended up in jail, and to see Bolin acting like that rubbed me the wrong way. Then again, I don't care for the brothers at all at this point)

Jinora was probably the better character in this season to me seeing how Lin (or was it Liz? I feel so outta touch here) from what I saw, seemed to have been brushed aside.

Overall, outside of missing episodes 3-6, I thought this season was good. Better ending than Book 1's ending. However, I am a little concerned now. A dark avatar, sounds like something that should go towards a series finale instead of a season finale, but I guess this is why I don't write or tell stories. I guess in my mind, I don't see how they can improve upon Korra's story any further (unless somehow the dark avatar goes through it's own cycle, but, well considering how it ended, I don't see that happening) without coming off as weak. If there is a book 3, I hope they find some way to make it a strong one.

Awesome stuff though, considering I was almost ready to call it quits after the 2nd episode.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I actually hope they don't just brush aside the idea of the Dark Avatar with the ending of this season. There is so much potential greatness with that concept, to have a permanent nemesis for the Avatar that also goes through its own reincarnation cycle. The way things were left off, it felt open enough for that possibility. Remember, Korra didn't actually seal Vaatu back in the tree again. She just weirdly kind of dissolved him and Unalaq into particles. So, I wouldn't think it'd be too hard for the writersto find him a way to gain another human host.

Grave

You have a point. I'm still not sure how that technique Unalaq taught to Korra works. It's purifying right? So maybe they can still go on that idea, at least I hope, because any other way might just come off as weak to me.

Daikun

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on November 16, 2013, 12:07:29 PMI actually hope they don't just brush aside the idea of the Dark Avatar with the ending of this season. There is so much potential greatness with that concept, to have a permanent nemesis for the Avatar that also goes through its own reincarnation cycle. The way things were left off, it felt open enough for that possibility.

There's a bit of a problem with that. The first Avatar had obtained all four elements before fusing with Rava. Unalak only had waterbending. So would the Dark Avatar be all waterbenders?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Daikun on November 16, 2013, 08:01:46 PMThere's a bit of a problem with that. The first Avatar had obtained all four elements before fusing with Rava. Unalak only had waterbending. So would the Dark Avatar be all waterbenders?

I was referring more to the fact that Korra hadn't sealed away Vaatu like Wan did. Since Vaatu cannot be destroyed in the same way that Rava cannot be destroyed, it wouldn't be implausible for his spirit to still be lingering about in some form. If he was able to come back at some point, then he could just pick a new host, who could be any bender. The real problem would be in that he'd have to somehow find Lion Turtles to give him the powers of the other elements to hold until he could imbue a single bender with the ability to control all 4 of them. The idea is of course pretty improbable, I admit, but not quite impossible.

gunswordfist

Just watched the finale about 10 minutes ago. I liked the first half hour more than the last half hour. Bumi, Kya and Tenzin's adventure in the Spirit World was so much better than Korra and Jinora's. One thing that really impressed me about this season is Tenzin actually got some character development. I thought he would be beyond that. His character arc was a pleasant surprise.

So what I am happy about is Korra finally got it together, Tenzin in general, Varrick in general, Jinora gotsome development, Korra/Mako should be dead for good, so should Ursa/Bolin. What I don't like is Asami pretty much disappeared and I now hate the light spirits as much as the dark...and they decided to leave the Spirit portals open so I am going to have to see them a lot of future seasons. Ugh, I HATE the way light and dark spirits look and I like none of them. I do like some of the "animal" spirits like Koi and the James Marsden one from Beginnings so potentially seeing them again is a plus.

EDIT: Also, I think this is the weakest Avatar season ever. Basically it was a bunch of 6/10 and 7/10 episodes with a few 8s and the obvious two 10s. Mostly because Korra spent about half the season being a hardheaded idiot, Asami and Bolin came off as clueless with the whole Mako situation, Mako shows that he still sucks at relationships and all of that was painful to watch, Lin became a lame archetype, Unalaq is dry and Vaatu of course took his mind over and his plans for merging the two worlds ceased to exist once he became a giant. And yes, I like season 1 of ATLA more than Book 2 of Korra.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Here's how I rank them, myself:

TLA Book 2 = TLA Book 3 > Korra Book 1 > TLA Book 1 > Korra Book 2

I still liked Korra Book 2 despite its flaws, though.

Grave

For me it'd probably be Korra 1, TLA 3, Korra 2, TLA 2, TLA 1

Nel_Annette

Marathoned everything after Beginnings tonight, since I missed everything after. Overall, a big step up from the putrid first half, but to have an event this big be done by a villain as boring as Unalaq. It just... bugs the living fuck out of me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Grave on November 24, 2013, 02:43:17 AMFor me it'd probably be Korra 1, TLA 3, Korra 2, TLA 2, TLA 1

Interesting ranking. I actually found TLA 2 to arguably be the best season of the entire franchise. I tied it with Book 3, though, since that had my favorite Zuko moments, and it finally gave us Avatar Roku's back-story. Also, it had The Boiling Rock, which was awesome. That said, I'd say that the Ba Sing Se arc was honestly my favorite part of Avatar. I also didn't mind Zuko going heel at the ending, since unlike everyone else, I wasn't convinced that he had really even made a full face turn, yet.