Started by Avaitor, July 01, 2011, 08:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on November 24, 2013, 02:01:28 AM
Here's how I rank them, myself:

TLA Book 2 = TLA Book 3 > Korra Book 1 > TLA Book 1 > Korra Book 2

I still liked Korra Book 2 despite its flaws, though.
I have it Aang Book 3>Aang Book 2>Korra Book 1>Aang Book 1>Korra Book 2.

I like Korra Book 2 myself too but not as much as you for reasons I stated above. I of course like ATLA Book 1 more than probably anyone here though. I like whole adventure premise, it's just that they made so many mistakes BUT I actually kind of like The Divide so that really shows how much I like the season overall.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Grave

I've never really cared much for TLA 2. To be honest I would've dropped it Avatar if it weren't for Azula (and her crew) and Toph, because I didn't care for the majority of the cast (I like Iroh, so you can imagine my reaction at the season finale). The fighting also kept me coming back as well.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

To me, Book 2 had some of the strongest writing and best character moments for the entire series. Tales of Ba Sing Se was also one of the best episodes in the show IMO. I think Book 3 was about as good. They were both far above the quality of Book 1 as well as both seasons of Korra, IMO.

While I did really enjoy Korra Book 1, the plotting wasn't anything impressive compared to Books 2 and 3 of TLA, and while it was tightly written, the ending was abysmal. Korra Book 2 was ambitious, but it was easily the most sloppily written season of the bunch, and the first half felt all over the place, despite that I still liked Tenzin's part of the story and didn't hate the characters quite as much as everyone else did. The second half picked up the quality from there, but the damage was already done by that point.

gunswordfist

Korra 1 had so much promise. I LOVED the pacing...and then the ending happened and I realized Korra learned nothing that season. She stayed the same. And season 2 happened and I thought they would get it together like I really believed they would in the first Korra Book...and half of the season Korra stayed the same and we got average/below average episodes. I don't really hate any of those episodes but they had a little bit too many flaws.

Also, it seems like people like Wan more than Korra. Seeing Beginnings and how annoying Korra could be up to those episodes created some backlash. I don't think they wanted people to hate Korra but seeing a competent Avatar in her own season did not help...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think it's more the fact that Wan essentially had the same sort of character arc as Korra, except Wan was able to convincingly progress through his arc in just 2 episodes, whereas Korra took 2 whole seasons to go through the same damn character arc twice. It was aggravating for people because everyone knew where it was going, but nobody wanted to put up with Korra's bitchy-ness for so many episodes before her character finally went anywhere.

I was more forgiving of her character in Book 1 because that was the first season and I understood that they wanted her to grow from being a spoiled, sheltered person into learning her responsibilities and dropping her ego. That was the point of the first season, to me, which is why I didn't agree with ShadowGentleman and others that Korra was a badly written character at that point since to me she was supposed to be somewhat unlikable initially until she developed into a better Avatar, and I still kind of stick by that opinion as far as Book 1 goes, barring the terrible ending in which everything is resolved via Deus Ex Machina and everything that Korra should've learned was immediately thrown out the window. Now with Book 2, the writers really had no excuses. They should have just started Korra as having learned some humility from her past experiences. I'd understand if she was still a bit hot-headed, but there was no reason to repeat her entire character arc from scratch. I think what ticked people off the most about Korra in Book 2 is that she acted as if Book 1 had never happened, and it might as well not have if the writers were basically going to throw out any character development that she or anyone else had in that season (I'm also referring to how both Asami and Lin somehow got dumber between seasons).

The Shadow Gentleman

At least the ending to Book 2 is too big a change to be ignored. I mean, the title of the next Book is even "Change"

I can get behind this.

Quote from: Grave on November 24, 2013, 11:05:10 AM
I've never really cared much for TLA 2. To be honest I would've dropped it Avatar if it weren't for Azula (and her crew) and Toph, because I didn't care for the majority of the cast (I like Iroh, so you can imagine my reaction at the season finale). The fighting also kept me coming back as well.
Book 2's main strength is the Zuko/Iroh/Fire Nation plot. For me that part of the series was always a lot more interesting and engaging then the Gaang, especially when the latter is engadged in pointless filler shenanigans.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on November 24, 2013, 12:26:54 PM
I think it's more the fact that Wan essentially had the same sort of character arc as Korra, except Wan was able to convincingly progress through his arc in just 2 episodes, whereas Korra took 2 whole seasons to go through the same damn character arc twice. It was aggravating for people because everyone knew where it was going, but nobody wanted to put up with Korra's bitchy-ness for so many episodes before her character finally went anywhere.

I was more forgiving of her character in Book 1 because that was the first season and I understood that they wanted her to grow from being a spoiled, sheltered person into learning her responsibilities and dropping her ego. That was the point of the first season, to me, which is why I didn't agree with ShadowGentleman and others that Korra was a badly written character at that point since to me she was supposed to be somewhat unlikable initially until she developed into a better Avatar, and I still kind of stick by that opinion as far as Book 1 goes, barring the terrible ending in which everything is resolved via Deus Ex Machina and everything that Korra should've learned was immediately thrown out the window. Now with Book 2, the writers really had no excuses. They should have just started Korra as having learned some humility from her past experiences. I'd understand if she was still a bit hot-headed, but there was no reason to repeat her entire character arc from scratch. I think what ticked people off the most about Korra in Book 2 is that she acted as if Book 1 had never happened, and it might as well not have if the writers were basically going to throw out any character development that she or anyone else had in that season (I'm also referring to how both Asami and Lin somehow got dumber between seasons).
I was actually wondering if Korra would actually change. It just took so long. I couldn't stand the fact that all of her development was ignored from Season 1. Characters like Yusuke and movie Thor (based off of Avengers, haven't seen 2 yet) are good hotheaded/fullofthemselves characters that had some development but retained some of their flaws. The Avatar staff just decided that to make Korra stand out, they decided to not make her change until the last second. Watching her be impulsive is entertaining...but only for so long.

That makes me think about what I've been wondering...how much personality will Korra have in the next season. Ever since the Wan flashbacks straightened her out, she's either been determined or sad/worried. I wonder if she'll have any charisma left. They seemed to rely too much of her being "in-your-face" or whatever, which makes me wonder if they held off of her development because they were afraid that she'd become...kind of boring. I am not saying she is right now, I have to wait to see her in some down time because Korra knuckling down for the last few episodes makes sense, I am just curious what she's be like now.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I also think that people often forget that being a hothead doesn't necessarily have to mean you're an idiot, and Korra was unfortunately both. Someone like Yusuke is the perfect shining example of how to do that type of character the right way. He's rash and irrational in the beginning, understandably, but he gains experience, and more importantly LEARNS from his experience (mainly his past mistakes). He also ends up becoming quite clever while still never losing any of his charismatic personality. Like, when he get's all pissed off when Bakken beats the crap out of an unconscious Kurama, Yusuke may be infuriated, but he doesn't let that turn him into a complete moron. He threatens Bakken with by aiming a Spirit Gun at him, forcing Bakken to finally throw Kurama out of the ring. Then he tries to fight Yusuke by creating a mist around the entire arena, but Yusuke actually thinks for a second and rather than blindly attacking, he just blasts a small spirit gun into the ground to create enough of a force to clear up some of the mist (it's not exactly what I'd call scientifically sound, but at least it's something he tried that just happened to work out, rather than literally trying to throw his fists blindly). And what do you know, he kicks Bakken's ass and still manages to keep his bad-ass attitude while doing it.

Korra is the type of character who wouldn't think to use her abilities in a clever way when anger was clouding her judgement. I don't mind that so much early on in the series, but it does get aggravating when you see the same character repeatedly make the same kinds of mistakes and foolish judgement over and over again.

Grave

Quote from: ShadowGentleman on November 24, 2013, 01:18:30 PM
Quote from: Grave on November 24, 2013, 11:05:10 AM
Book 2's main strength is the Zuko/Iroh/Fire Nation plot. For me that part of the series was always a lot more interesting and engaging then the Gaang, especially when the latter is engadged in pointless filler shenanigans.

Agreed, and I was engaged throughout that whole side of the story (like I said, mainly because of Azula and Toph) until the season finale. And to be fair I am over exaggerating quite a bit because it wouldn't be fair for me to dismiss the entire season because of the stupidity of Zuko (forehead smacking for me when he betrayed Iroh), but at the same time, like I said, I only like Azula, Toph, and Iroh.

And don't get me wrong, Book 3 is not without it's faults either (hated the 1st 2 episodes, as well as the Beach), but because I can be satisfied very easy (although I am overly picky at the same time), I felt that from Boiling Rock on up made up for everything else.

I dig Korra more simply because (outside of Bolin and Mako) I enjoy the cast even though they can come off as overly bland at times.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: ShadowGentleman on November 24, 2013, 01:18:30 PM

I can get behind this.

So can I.

gunswordfist

Since Korra has had 4 important Waterbending villains in two seasons, among other things, I can say that my appreciation for Waterbending has really grown. It used to be my least favorite Bending but seeing as Waterbending can Cloud, Blood, Mud, Plantbend, heat up or freeze any source of water into steam/ice and pull water out of plants and air, I now really love it. I wish Korra,or anybody would pull water out of the air or plants. We only got to see it from that old Bloodbending lady in ATLA once.

gunswordfist

I wonder what the Book 3 villain will be like. I am guessing that Korra is actually weaker than she used to be so I expect a villain that's weaker as well. In fact, that would seem kind of forced if he or she was stronger than Vatu. They'd have to send a straight up God or something after Korra. Anyway, I hope we get to see the return of emphasis on technique and footwork. Watching Zuko vs. Zhao and Toph vs. Xin Fu were beautiful. I don't want the show to go the "bigger is better" route. That giant spirit battle was ridiculous. Kind of reminds me why I like Sensui's first personality the most. He's slower and weaker than Yusuke but could beat him with superior technique and he was just flat out smarter than him.

Spark Of Spirit

It will be Korra's long lost brother.

Who is a water bender.

And who has a tragic past.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

I'm thinking and hoping that it's Varrick. He's the most awesome villain in Korra, he deserves to take over as the main villain.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 03, 2013, 06:44:24 PM
It will be Korra's long lost brother.

Who is a fire bender.

And who has a tragic past.
Sounds likely now.

Quote from: Peanutbutter on December 03, 2013, 09:11:08 PM
I'm thinking and hoping that it's Varrick. He's the most awesome villain in Korra, he deserves to take over as the main villain.
That would be interesting. He is the best Korra villain so far.