Started by Avaitor, July 01, 2011, 08:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peanutbutter

Now more than ever, I'm glad their ratings across the board are tanking. I love Korra and hate that it didn't do better, but at least she's taking down all of Nick's garbage with her.  :bleh:

LumRanmaYasha

Spark Of Spirit

Well, it was fun while it lasted. Let me know how it ends.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

Poor Little Canadian.

gunswordfist

which xbox app will it be on?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Nel_Annette

And now that I'm used to the whole hour thing, they give us one episode and in the second Korra's slot... a fucking Spongebob repeat.

Fuck you, Nickelodeon. So, sooooo much.

Spark Of Spirit

What a surprise, a Spongebob repeat.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

According to this Comic Con panel, the creators claimed that Nick decided to pull the show off air because it did so well in terms of streaming and digital downloads, while it's TV ratings were less than exceptional.

Needless to say, I don't buy it in the least, and since the creators obviously can't bad mouth Nick in front of everyone in public, they clearly just made up an excuse.

There are, in fact, 2 very specific reasons why the explanation given (probably) can't hold true:

1. If Nick wanted to support digital streaming for the show so much, then why the hell did they see fit to NOT make the show available for either streaming or download ANYWHERE online? Meanwhile they burned through the first half of the season on TV in less than a month (in the Friday death slot that worked "so well" for Book 2).

2. Why have they made absolutely no official statement themselves explaining the situation and how they would justify only airing Korra digitally? And on top of that, they hardly even advertised the show, either on TV or online.

Nel_Annette

What''s really funny is just last week during the new episodes, they were putting up commercials for the new episodes saying "Only on Nickelodeon!" and "Available nowhere online!". The cruel, cruel irony.

RacattackForce

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 26, 2014, 12:46:53 PM
According to this Comic Con panel, the creators claimed that Nick decided to pull the show off air because it did so well in terms of streaming and digital downloads, while it's TV ratings were less than exceptional.

Needless to say, I don't buy it in the least, and since the creators obviously can't bad mouth Nick in front of everyone in public, they clearly just made up an excuse.

There are, in fact, 2 very specific reasons why the explanation given (probably) can't hold true:

1. If Nick wanted to support digital streaming for the show so much, then why the hell did they see fit to NOT make the show available for either streaming or download ANYWHERE online? Meanwhile they burned through the first half of the season on TV in less than a month (in the Friday death slot that worked "so well" for Book 2).

2. Why have they made absolutely no official statement themselves explaining the situation and how they would justify only airing Korra digitally? And on top of that, they hardly even advertised the show, either on TV or online.
My thoughts on the whole thing are long-winded, and I'm contractually-obligated to write about at least 6,000 words about The Legend of Korra for this site before September, so here is the Cliff's Notes version:

• Nickelodeon obviously panicked in light of the Nick Mundo leak of episodes three through six of Book Three. This caused them to discard any plans they had for airing the season and scrap them for ones. This is inferred from the fact that a licensed video game from a high-quality developer is being released this Fall and how much the channel loves it's cross-marketing tie-ins.
  • One thing that was mentioned was that such a move has been in talks since Book Two, and when pushed about it, the creators said that it wasn't the move itself that shocked them, but WHEN the move was made and how it was announced that pissed the hell out of them. Frankly, I can believe that the show has been doing well-enough online and that such a thing in combination with the show's subpar rating would make Nick do such a thing because...
  • If you haven't noticed, the climate of television has been changing a lot due to the introduction of Hulu, Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, and other similar services. Cable networks have been trying to take advantage of this recently and a nice example in children's television that I can think of off-the-top of my head is Cartoon Network's Always On initiative. What that, you ask? It's an on-demand video service that allows you not only to watch their on-air programming, but also exclusive content such as Detentionaire and Angelo Rules. Exclusive content makes people want to use something, after all. That's why the term "killer application" exists. The point being that Nickelodeon has their own app at the moment, and they'd want to push that with something big as well. What better than a series that's already doing well online and doesn't happen fit their on-air personality.
  • Finally, and this is the biggest point: If Nickelodeon truly wanted to kill Korra...why would they continue financing the fourth season? Why not just pull the plug and tell the creators to screw themselves ala Invader Zim. Nickelodeon continuing to make a fourth season means that the channel legitimately wants The Legend of Korra to be a flagship series for their digital services and wants to see it continue to succeed online. If they really were throwing the show under the bus, why not just quietly move it to a death slot like Disney would, or just stop talking about it like Cartoon Network?

All this talk about The Legend of Korra getting treated like crap bugs me because it is far from the worst show that Nickelodeon themselves have treated poorly, much less some travesty on the level of Young Justice or Motorcity. To sum it all up in a single image.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yet you completely ignored the point that I made about Nickelodeon NOT making the show available online ANYWHERE for the first several weeks of this show's run, and in fact doubled the amount of usual content for the show released each week and burned through the first half of the season in under a month. If Nick was really pushing for this online movement as you say, then it would be nice if you could explain to me the logic in not actually making it available online anywhere.

RacattackForce

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 26, 2014, 10:53:36 PM
Yet you completely ignored the point that I made about Nickelodeon NOT making the show available online ANYWHERE for the first several weeks of this show's run, and in fact doubled the amount of usual content for the show released each week and burned through the first half of the season in under a month. If Nick was really pushing for this online movement as you say, then it would be nice if you could explain to me the logic in not actually making it available online anywhere.
Panic mode + Nickelodeon's poor treatment of even A-rank properties such as Spongebob Squarepants + Inability to break news to a fanbase easily = The whole situation Korra has been going through recently. Yes, I know all of this is stupid, but Nickelodeon is kinda stupid with how it treats its stuff. I think Nickelodeon is serious about this if only because they're funding a fourth season of an action series. Action animation is expensive as hell, which is why network usually push merchandise to help offset the costs a little bit. The fact that Korra doesn't have that and they're STILL letting the crew finish the story they want to tell speaks leagues about their well-intentional idiocy. Nickelodeon isn't in a place where they can afford to take risks like this and come up okay; they're seriously losing viewership to Disney Channel and even Cartoon Network to a lesser extent. Doing this is a gamble and Nickelodeon knows it.

Daikun

First online episode is up! Go watch now!

Spark Of Spirit

*Waits for impressions*