Popular Opinions You Hold About Anime

Started by Foggle, May 13, 2013, 06:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

I personally think the anime made the Three Kings arc feel like an essential and valuable part of the story and a fine conclusion, which is quite a marvelous feat considering how lazily put together and poorly written the original version was.

gunswordfist

i think yyh is better with three kings than it is without. hiei's past alone made it a worthy inclusion.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

As far as the anime goes, I totally agree. But as far as the manga goes...I can't say even Hiei's backstory chapters makes that worthwhile.

gunswordfist

everyone knows i've never read the manga.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Cartoon X on February 06, 2015, 01:06:25 AM
As far as the anime goes, I totally agree. But as far as the manga goes...I can't say even Hiei's backstory chapters makes that worthwhile.
It wasn't even told well there. It was a mess.

As for popular opinion, I think Slam Dunk deserves every bit of popularity it has. It really is one of the greats.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 06, 2015, 01:12:28 AM
As for popular opinion, I think Slam Dunk deserves every bit of popularity it has. It really is one of the greats.

Agreed. Which reminds me...

The Shohoku v. Sannoh game is one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) match in any sports manga ever and leads to one of the best endings (if not THE best ending) of any sports manga ever as well.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It is the best match in sports manga, though I'd argue that Ashita no Joe has the best ending, and I don't say that just because it's iconic, but for thematic reasons as well.

LumRanmaYasha

Actually, I agree. Somehow I seemed to momentarily forget AnJ is a sports manga.  :sweat:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

-Sensui is the best Togashi villain, and one of the best shonen villains ever

-The Marvel anime series' all suck, and are dull, lifeless interpretations of classic abd iconic characters

-Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid is superior to the first season in every way

-Marineford is the best One Piece arc, and it's the last time that the series was truly at its best

-Shounan Junai Gumi and GTO are classics, but all of the GTO spin-offs/sequels are either mediocre at best, or a complete insult to the original series

-Kuroko no Basket was legitimately good during its first two-thirds or so, but it really "dropped the ball" (hee hee, see what I did there?) with the entire final match against Rakuzan,  and Akashi is a horribly written character

talonmalon333

I still haven't read the entire Yu Yu Hakusho manga. I read a few volumes years ago, but then stopped. I plan on completing my set in the near future, and then starting over and reading every volume from start to finish this summer. However, my thing about the Three Kings season is that, honestly, I just don't think it's that good. Well, the first half of the season is great. But the tournament itself isn't. It definitely picks up once they get to Hiei, Kurama, and Yusuke's fights at the end, and I especially enjoy the final episode. But most of the tournament just isn't that amazing to me. It's fine. But it's easily my least favorite part of the show.

Though I will say, I disagree when I hear people say that they should go back and redo the Three Kings arc. I mean, it is what it is. The anime is over and I'd rather not see anyone try to change it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Based on what you just said, though, that only accounts for 2or 3 episodes not being good. Since you liked everything before that point, and admitted to liking the episodes with the main cast members, it's only a few episodes of the stuffwith the minor characters thst aren't good.

talonmalon333

Then that means I can't complain much about YYH as a whole. :P

gunswordfist

i wouldn't mind a three kings remake but it's not needed.

i like demon tournament. it is the weakest of the 3 tournaments though. i say pre-tournament three kings was about 8/10 while the demon tournament was 7/10.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 08, 2015, 04:10:38 PM
I still haven't read the entire Yu Yu Hakusho manga. I read a few volumes years ago, but then stopped. I plan on completing my set in the near future, and then starting over and reading every volume from start to finish this summer. However, my thing about the Three Kings season is that, honestly, I just don't think it's that good. Well, the first half of the season is great. But the tournament itself isn't. It definitely picks up once they get to Hiei, Kurama, and Yusuke's fights at the end, and I especially enjoy the final episode. But most of the tournament just isn't that amazing to me. It's fine. But it's easily my least favorite part of the show.

Though I will say, I disagree when I hear people say that they should go back and redo the Three Kings arc. I mean, it is what it is. The anime is over and I'd rather not see anyone try to change it.
If anything, you'll probably like and appreciate the anime version more after reading the manga version. A lot of what happens in the anime will make a lot more sense then.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Like most fans, I much prefer the original Bardock TV special to any of the manga story-lines that tried to retcon that. This is one of the few times you'll ever see me saying that I prefer something from the anime over Toriyama's version.

It's first of all worth noting that Toriyama didn't even create Bardock. He actually liked the special, himself, which was a different, darker take on Dragon Ball, and incorporated the character into a panel of his manga later on.

Then came Episode of Bardock, which wasn't written by Toriyama and thus is non-canon to both the manga as well as DBZ. I hated it, anyways. It totally cheapens the weight of that final scene where Bardock takes on Freeza only to realize that there is literally nothing that he can do to stop Planet Vegeta's destruction, as well as his own death.

Then there's Toriyama's version of the story in Dragon Ball Minus, which....let's be honest, is pretty much ripping off Superman's origin story.

I honestly just prefer the original concept. Bardock was nothing like his son, and not a good-hearted person at all, but he did care about his comrades and wanted to avenge them. And I like how Goku being sent to Planet Earth was not a special circumstance by any means. He was a lower-class Saiyan and thus sent to wipe out a weaker-level planet and only became good-natured thanks to an accident causing him to forget his mission and opening up his mind to the influence of his kind-spirited, adopted grandfather.

It feels less conventional, and DB was always at its best when it was going against conventions and expectations.