Popular Opinions You Hold About Anime

Started by Foggle, May 13, 2013, 06:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 30, 2015, 12:36:00 AM
It's first of all worth noting that Toriyama didn't even create Bardock. He actually liked the special, himself, which was a different, darker take on Dragon Ball, and incorporated the character into a panel of his manga later on.
Does Toriyama hate fathers?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Not that I know of. He just never really thought much about who Goku's parents were, and to be fair, most fans didn't even really care about that either. When Bardock was revealed in the anime, however, people liked the story and character, including Toriyama, and thus he was incorporated into series canon.

gunswordfist

The joke was that he made neither Vegeta's nor Goku's father.  :sweat:

Spark Of Spirit

Skip Beat! is getting a backer campaign in order to get a dub and high quality release. Not to mention, Escaflowne has one too.

I wish more older anime would get a chance like this through backer campaigns.

Manga, too. I'd support a campaign for Ashita no Joe, no question.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm usually pretty stingy with spending money, but I'd legit drop up to $50 for a campaign to physically publish Ashita no Joe in English.

Hell, when I have the money, I plan to order the complete collection straight from Japan. There are very few series that I love enough to want to own my own copies of its work just for the sake of showing my support and appreciation to/for their creators (and in the case of AnJ, one of them is still alive and well).

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Riding Bean looks pretty good based on what little I saw from some synthwave youtube video. I hear it only has one episode. Hopefully they can make more.

Spark Of Spirit

And once again on the same subject:

Riding Bean kickstarter was funded in 50 minutes.

Looks like classic anime fans are putting their money where their mouth is after all.

gunswordfist

Good lord. :SHOCK: That's my classic anime fans.  :'(

Markness

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 01, 2016, 05:46:20 PM

You got that right except I want the Ushio and Tora manga more.

LumRanmaYasha

Digibro made a really good video exploring the appeal of anime.

I definitely agree. Anime has so many diverse and not easily defined multitudes in the kinds of series that are made, and even if they aren't always the best, shows like DBZ, Detective Conan, Cowboy Bebop, Mushi-shi, or Kill la Kill just aren't being made in the west, and that's what attracted and keeps attracting me to japanese animation in the first place.

Spark Of Spirit

I got into it because I like good stories and anime/manga were in a sort of golden age for localized releases at the time. Sort of a perfect storm.

Quote from: Markness on March 07, 2016, 06:53:18 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 01, 2016, 05:46:20 PM

You got that right except I want the Ushio and Tora manga more.
Now with the Kimagure Orange Road kickstarter, I'm hoping stuff like this can be considered more often. For instance if fans want to see a series released in the Kazenban format, they have to hit a certain amount or maybe a stretch goal. There are a lot of possibilities that I hope are explored.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It was a great video and sheds a lot of light on how the industry is growing.

My only slight annoyance is that he under-credits most other mediums of entertainment in regard to how many advancements they have made, as well as how anime itself takes influence from other cultures and forms of entertainment itself. It's a minor gripe, though, and perhaps wasn't entirely his intention.

Spark Of Spirit

LumRanmaYasha

:swoon: Man, it was looking close there, but I'm really glad it pulled through. Hopefully this sets a precedent and we see more crowdfunding campaigns for other tough-sell series.