Currently Running Manga Discussion

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 30, 2010, 12:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Ek, that's just stupid and baseless, dude. Come on.

Vlord is clearly the primary account.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

My Hero Academia
World Trigger
Food Wars
Black Clover

Those disguises were hilarious, especially Midoriya's tough guy act. It's nice also to see some of the motivations of the other villains in MHA, as I'm really wondering now what Spinner's deal is in that he admires Stain but doesn't seem as far gone as he was. But Bakugo proves he's no Sasuke. He admires someone like All Might who deals with impossible odds and comes out on top despite it. No way is he going to turn on the good guys. It might also explain why he always smiles when he fights, despite being overwhelmed at times. He's just as much an All Might fanboy as Midoriya even now. Also, the public perception on heroes is turning south, so I do wonder what could possibly happen to turn that around. Even Midoriya's mother doesn't want him going anymore. Once again, these chapters are much too short.

World Trigger is as enjoyable as ever. Katori squad almost bit it off the bat due to Tamakoma's new techniques, though the match is still young. It really can go either way at this point. Especially since Kakizaki still hasn't made a move yet.

Soma and Tsukasa in Food Wars. Now that's a pair I wanted to see interact more. One is more carefree and excitable and the other is high strung and a perfectionist. So it was neat to see them getting along so well. I'm hoping next week we see why exactly someone of Tsukasa's caliber would want to work with Central. Should be fun to see where this goes.

Fun chapter of Black Clover, though I'm not actually sure who was the one using the transformation magic. Some good characterization for Yami here and some funny moments on top of it. Black Clover continues to be a pleasant read every week.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I read a comment somewhere on another board, but it sums up my thoughts on the previous arc and this current one perfectly: this story-line is a better version of Young Justice (the animated series, not the comic book).

And I was waiting to see what Horikoshi would do with Bakugo. He didn't disappoint. Anyone expecting a Sasuke-like heel-turn from him was just thrown for a loop, and rightfully so. Sasuke is an incredibly poorly-written, unsympathetic, ungodly whiney, and flat-out awful character, and that's not due to intentional writing on Kishimoto's part, either. Earlier on in the series, I was expecting Todoroki to become the Sasuke equivalent of this series, but Horikoshi really impressed me by averting that trope very quickly and making him one of Midroiya's strongest supporting friends. That's why I was sure that he'd do the same with Bakugo, but I still couldn't be sure. Now that this chapter has come out, I can see that Horikoshi really does have a firm grasp on his characters, and while Bakugo may still be really antagonistic towards Midoriya as his main rival, I feel as though he is still every bit as entertaining of a character to follow in his own right. People like Kishimoto could really stand to take notes on how to write good battle shonen characters from series like this.

Spark Of Spirit

It's funny, because after watching the first episode of the anime and then seeing this chapter (since Bakugo flashes back to when he was a kid) I didn't put two and two together right away. The guy is angry a lot (actually, mostly just loud at this point) but I never understood his smile. If you paid attention, he didn't always smile when he was winning in a fight or when things were going well for him. He actually smiles when he's overwhelmed or in front of who he thinks of as an enemy, just like All Might does. When he said that in the most recent chapter, it all made more sense.

Bakugo's not the most obvious character to figure out, but there's definitely more to him than a guy who likes fighting. He actually likes it because he wants to be a hero that always stops the bad guys no matter what. That's why he was always upset with Midoriya since he kept getting saved by him when Bakugo was the one who was supposed to be the hero. It wasn't really because Midoriya helped him: it wasn't Midoriya he was mad at.

He's actually changed quite a bit from that jerk who thought he was amazing for having a good quirk way back at the beginning of the manga. Horikoshi is just smart enough to not hammer you over the head with it. Which is quite a trick to do with a 'loud" character.

The Festival arc developed Todoroki really well, the Stain arc developed Ida really well, and this arc looks to be doing the same for Bakugo. Definitely can't wait to see where it goes next.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

VLordGTZ

I just caught up with MHA today.  I feel that's its a great series overall, and I'm interested to see how the current arc progresses since it seems like it's going to be focusing more on Bakugo. 

I'm probably going to focus on catching up with Food Wars and World Trigger now.

LumRanmaYasha

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #19 (April 11th 2016):

Straighten Up! Welcome to Shika High's Competitive Dance Club (Cover & Lead Color Page)
1 - My Hero Academia
One Piece (Not ranked, was absent in Issue #12)
Straighten Up! (Extra Chapter)
Black Clover (Color Page)
Assassination Classroom: Side Story
2 - Haikyuu!!
Yu-Gi-Oh! - Transcend Game (Special Chapter, Part I)
3 - Yuna of Yuragi Manor
4 - Hinomaru Zumo
5 - Gintama
Samon the Summoner (Color Page)
6 - Mononofu
7 - Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma
8 - World Trigger
9 - Kochikame
10 - Kimetsu no Yaiba
11 - Nisekoi
12 - Bleach
13 - PSI Kusuo Saiki
14 - Toriko
Isobe Isobee Monogatari

Huh, Yuna is doing surprisingly well. I really hope that Kimetsu no Yaiba can break out of the bottom five so it won't be in danger of cancellation when it's time for new series to come in. Even though Nisekoi is clearly going to end soon, I'm worried that won't be enough of a buffer to prevent it from getting cut.

Spark Of Spirit

But didn't AC just end? I would have thought that would be a space buffer until the next series ends. Nothing has taken its spot yet.

LumRanmaYasha

Well, they only ended Buddy Strike to make room for both Kimetsu and Yuna when they debuted, so AC ended up balancing that out when it finished. Whether or not Kimetsu gets cut is probably going to come down to how many new series are debuting at the same time, and whether or not Nisekoi is ready to end in time to make room for them.

Spark Of Spirit

Well, here's hoping there's only a single series next time. With so many series nearing their end, it would be nice for some of the new ones to have room to breathe like Mononofu and Samon had.

LumRanmaYasha

LumRanmaYasha

Spark Of Spirit

LumRanmaYasha

All of those series are currently being simul-published on Crunchyroll, and many of which have been for almost three years by this point. They're just now going to be available on ComiXology and Amazon as well.

Spark Of Spirit

Oh, cool. I didn't know since I don't read any of them.

Still would like Sunday to try something like that.