What Are You Currently Playing? 6.65: Neighbor of the Beast

Started by Foggle, February 28, 2014, 02:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Still slowly making my way through FFVIII.

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 17, 2015, 01:41:32 AM
Are you sure he has no legs? that's a serious accussssation?

What, is he gonna be in trouble if he's wrong?

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I made it to world 5 in Maximo. I've officially never made it this far.

And yes, the game is still really hard.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Wait, you never beat the game? Why the fuck did you say it was one of your favorite PS2 games?! :srs:

Spark Of Spirit

Uh, why do I have to have beaten a game to say it was one of my favorites?  ???

I believe I even said I never beat it in either that post or the one after it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

You said something like it was your favorite Capcom and/or action/adventure PS2 game.

Spark Of Spirit

It's one of my favorite 3D platformers. Playing further into the game hasn't changed that.

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

I actually beat Maximo. Man was that tough.

And yes, it still ranks on my list of 3D platformers. My opinion only improved as the game got harder. It was classic arcade game difficulty in 3D only without the extra dose of cheese and the level design never dipped (only got better) up to the very end of the game.

Excellent game, one of the best on the PS2. Shame it's so unknown.

Kiddington

MK8 DLC drops tomorrow. 200cc, Animal Crossing stuff.....jfc, the hype.

I still haven't gotten all the cups in 150cc yet though, so it looks I've got some homework tonight.  >_<

Spark Of Spirit

They're also adding bots into online thankfully. It was annoying playing a game with friends and having so many empty spaces.

gunswordfist

Foggle

So I picked up the Resistance Collection for cheap since I never played any of them and I heard R3 was fantastic. Also, Insomniac. Gotta' play all their games eventually.

Almost done with the first one. This game has the worst checkpoint placement I've ever seen. It's a fairly challenging game even on Normal; not preposterously so, but hard enough to kill you once every 10-20 minutes. The problem is, the checkpoints are spread so thin that sometimes you'll play for 10 minutes, reach the final set of generic mooks, and then get killed by them because you have no health left. This means you have to again slog through the same 10 minutes of fairly difficult content you've already beaten. In one level, you have to fight three challenging bosses in a row, the last of which can easily one/two shot you even behind cover. You're also constantly swarmed by normal enemies. If you die on the third boss, you're back to square one. This took me an entire hour to beat. Not fun.

The regular enemies are rather spongey, but they're also extremely accurate and can kill you in just a few hits. The health system is unique/interesting, but not exactly good, and would have largely benefited from being less "innovative." The last few levels (which I'm currently on) LOVE spamming this one enemy type that can shoot you through walls. These units also have the most health of all the non-boss enemies. Now, yes, you can also use the shoot-through-walls gun yourself, but they are far more efficient with it than you could ever hope to be.

That said, it's an alright game, especially for a launch title. The first 1/4 of it is boring and kind of generic, but the next 1/2 is excellent, filled with some of the most intense giant battles I've ever experienced in an FPS, as well as some great levels that evoke Halo 1 and Half-Life 2. Unfortunately, the last 1/4 of the game is simply too frustrating to be fun. If there were more checkpoints or a quick save system, I'd like this game a lot more. Of if, you know, they removed the fucking enemies that can shoot you through fucking walls.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, my dad played through that game and I helped him a bit. Standard gen shooter only since this was before the corridor/Modern Warfare aping it had a bit more ambition than most. And yes, the checkpoints were pretty bad.

I don't remember 2 being very good, but it's been a while.

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 22, 2015, 10:47:56 PM
Wait, MKX was botless? :srs:
Only in online with friends which has THANKFULLY been fixed.

gunswordfist

:frown: I was half joking about saying MKX. Jeez, what the fuck were they thinking?