What Are You Currently Playing? 6.65: Neighbor of the Beast

Started by Foggle, February 28, 2014, 02:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on May 27, 2015, 07:45:08 PM
When you get back to Rising make sure to play it on Revengeance mode. :sly:
I had to replace the hard drive in my PS3 last year, so I can't. :'( But it's a short game, so I could replay it right away on Revengeance difficulty once I finish it again.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Actually, you can unlock it right away if you use the classic Konami code on the start-up screen, so there are no excuses. :humhumhum:

Spark Of Spirit

He can stream the whole thing for EK to critique!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Nah, I can't critique shit. I only beat the game on Revengeance, which doesn't even count for an achievement. In order for it to count, you have to S-rank every mission in the game (which means getting an S-rank on every single fight in the game including the optional ones) on Revengeance difficulty, which I just never really felt like trying since that means mostly doing a no-damage run to get the health bonuses. I may try it someday, but it requires a lot of retries, and hence a lot of patience.

Though, as for streaming, I would eventually like to make gameplay videos of my own if I could ever get the right video capture equipment and actually learn how to edit videos.

talonmalon333

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 28, 2015, 12:04:30 PM
Are you going to watch MGS4 next, Foggle?
Yup!

Also, I tried to play Snake's Revenge again last night, and god, what a load of badly-designed shit. Just not fun or entertaining at all.

gunswordfist

"Well, that was fun - in a fuckin' terrible, sick, not-at-all-fun way."
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I ended up playing two hours of Splatoon. How did that happen?  :SHOCK:

I'm up to level 5, got a Splattershot with a decent special, and a boost in ink capacity and recovery from some decent clothes. I'm good to go.

Oh, I also beat the first world of the single player. Cool stuff. A lot of inspiration from Galaxy in there, which I certainly will not complain about.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

So, who is the most useless partner in Paper Mario? Is it Parakarry or Watt?

talonmalon333

I'd say Watt has to be the most useful after Goombario. That ability to bypass enemy's defenses and charge Mario's power is great, especially in the second half of the game.

Kooper is probably the most useless. His attack power is pretty low, and he doesn't have any special abilities beyond just doing damage if I remember correctly,

Spark Of Spirit

Kooper is pretty bad, true. Koops in TTYD is probably the best partner in that game, but Kooper in PM64 is only good early on when you have a line of foes and no quake hammer or items that can hit multiple foes. I don't even remember the last time I used him.

Good call on Watt, I forgot about that. Still not a fan of Parakarry, though.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 29, 2015, 11:10:17 PM
Kooper is pretty bad, true. Koops in TTYD is probably the best partner in that game, but Kooper in PM64 is only good early on when you have a line of foes and no quake hammer or items that can hit multiple foes. I don't even remember the last time I used him.

Good call on Watt, I forgot about that. Still not a fan of Parakarry, though.

If I remember correctly, he does have some use in the Shiver region because of his fire attack. But he's really not that good. As for Parakarry, his main attack is basically the same as Bombette's in terms of FP and damage. In other words, he's strong but not incredibly necessary because Bombette does what he does and she joins the team first. I think my favorites were always Goombario, Bombette, and Watt. Sushie can also be pretty useful.

Koops is great, both in terms of combat and just as a character. However, I'd call Goombella the best in that game. She gets Multi Bonk and Tattle. Plus, she gets that ability that allows her to sacrifice a turn to give Mario a second turn, which I love because Mario is better than any of the team members. I could do what I did for the first game, and list my favorites from the sequel, but then I realized I would end up naming almost every partner in the game. But if I were to pick an overall favorite, I guess my favorite in both games is the goomba you start with. I think a part of it is that I love Tattle.

Spark Of Spirit

How would you rank the partners in both games in terms of usefulness? I find myself always sticking with a certain pocket of partners in both games and only using others when called for it on the map.

talonmalon333

I'd probably go...

1. Goombario
2. Watt
3. Bombette
4. Sushie
5. Bow
6. Lackilester
7. Parakarry
8. Kooper

1. Goombella
2. Yoshi
3. Koops
4. Vivian
5. Admiral Bomberry
6. Ms. Meowz
7. Flurrie

TTYD was really tough to rank. I used those top five a lot. Meowz was a fun character but I didn't use her quite as much in battle. Never cared for Flurrie as a character or as a fighter. TTYD had vastly superior partners overall but I think she was my least favorite across both games.