Started by Lord Dalek, July 29, 2011, 06:31:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

First Contact. Last Stand.

Release Date: 7/29/11
Studio: Universal/Dreamworks/Imagine
Director: John Favreau
Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1 (Panavision)
Starring: Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford, Olivia Wilde, Sam Rockwell, Adam Beach, Paul Dano, Noah Ringer

Plot Summary: Blockbuster filmmaker Jon Favreau directs Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford in an event film for summer 2011 that crosses the classic Western with the alien-invasion movie in a blazingly original way: "Cowboys & Aliens." Joined by an arsenal of top moviemakers—Steven Spielberg, Ron Howard, Brian Grazer, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci—he brings an all-new action thriller that will take audiences into the Old West, where a lone cowboy leads an uprising against a terror from beyond our world.

COMMENTS?

LD Talkback #147

Avaitor

I have to admit, I wasn't very interested at first. I liked the idea of Indy and 007 appearing together on screen again, but nothing else really grabbed me. Seeing Jon Favreau's interview on G4's Comic Con show got me a lot more pumped, however, and now I want to check this out.

I still want to see Harry Potter, Winnie the Pooh, and Horrible Bosses, but I might see it soon regardless.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm somewhat interested in checking this movie out. I want to see Captain America first, though, and seeing as how I may not even get to see that movie for at least a few weeks, I may not end up seeing this film, but I'll keep it mind to see after I manage to catch Captain America.

Kiddington

It looks decent, I'll say. I probably won't make it down there to see it this weekend, but I am interested; maybe next week sometime, if I'm up to it.

Spark Of Spirit

I wasn't interested until I saw who was involved. I hope it's good because it does look unique.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

I really cannot believe Smurfs is actually giving this a run for its money at the box office.  :wth:

I mean, what the fuck America? I know kids are kids, and this movie does look a little gimmicky, but come on; it's got Harrison Ford and present-day James Bond in it for Christ's sake. What more do you need? And need I remind everyone, again, that this is the live-action Smurfs we're talking about for competition sake. smh

...and with all that said, I believe this image is more than appropriate.

Lord Dalek

Well the film is a massive box office turkey no matter what happens so losing to Smurfs only adds to the sadness.

chdr

Shame about the box office numbers, I thought it was a fun, enjoyable movie  :-[

Daxdiv

mfw when C&A and Smurfs have the same totals as of Sunday:

C'mon C&A, pull through for me!

Spark Of Spirit

I thought it would have made a lot less, I'm actually surprised Smurfs seems to be under-preforming compared to a niche film like Cowboys & Aliens making the same amount in the same weekend.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

The thing with Smurfs, though, is that the original projections only had it around the 15-20 mil. range, perhaps topping out at about 25 mil. at the most.

...that, and the movie looks fucking grotesque, yet people are still going to it. I know it's a kids movie and all, but not every kids movie historically has done well at the box office. The fact that this piece of garbage is making money, while notably good animated movies throughout the ages have tanked, just makes it that much harder to swallow.

Back to Cowboys & Aliens; Dalek, I wanted to ask you; what did you honestly think of the movie? Judging by your Twitter comments, you didn't seem to think it was very good. Worth seeing, or not?

Spark Of Spirit

People thought the Smurfs wasn't going to do well? Based on what? Every one of these shitty CG monstrosities makes tons of cash and always seem to top the box office. I honestly would like to know what made them think this was going to not do what the others did.

In contrast, expecting this to do above 20 million seemed like a pipe dream. It's a movie called Cowboys & Aliens, ffs. In what universe would something like this ever be a hit?

Kiddington

I dunno, I'm just reporting what I've read. Lot of entertainment writers that I've seen didn't seem to think Smurfs would hold its own, while Cowboys & Aliens would win the weekend easily (I put a lot of the projections about C&A on Jon Favreau's involvement, though; perhaps many were under the assumption that his work on Iron Man would draw more potential interest).

Spark Of Spirit

That strikes me as... well, odd. Expecting a kids movie in a proven franchise to be outgrossed by an obscure sci-fi movie with western elements simply because of who the director is? I mean, a niche movie is a niche movie.

That would have been like guessing Scott Pilgrim was going to outgross The Expendables at the time, despite it having absolutely no mainstream appeal.

Lord Dalek

Its not very good. The film has great actors and direction and everything but the script is just so lifeless and boring that it can't really sustain your attention for much of anything. For me a film has failed if I shift positions in my chair at least 5 or more times during the course of its run time. Guess what happened here.