Venture Bros.

Started by Spark Of Spirit, March 23, 2011, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, I don't get the negative reception toward the show's continuity here either. I watched the premiere last week, and the continuity in no way locked me out of the humor.

Avaitor

Really, I just despise Sgt. Hatred.

But I'm planning a rewatch of the whole show before I come up to 5,
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Silverstar

Venture Brothers is an OK show; I still get some laughs out of it, though I will admit that I miss the earlier format of stand-alone episodes and wish we could still get some more of those instead of the nonstop interlocking continuity. I'll admit, however, that my gripe is more a reflection of myself than the show's writing, which is actually pretty good; I have a short attention span and I'm incredibly lazy (as a TV viewer, just as I am as an artist/writer, I'm an avid believer in the rule of KISS--Keep It Simple, Stupid), so I don't like to have to keep track of a bunch of ongoing story arcs and events, and now every major character has to appear in every episode; some characters like The Monarch, Dr. Girlfiriend (or Dr. Mrs. The Monarch), #21, Dermott, Sgt. Hatred et al I could like more if I got a break from them once in a while and didn't have to see them every single week.

Oh, and I love the song "Jacket".
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Daxdiv

Venture Bros is probably my favorite of the Adult Swim shows. I saw the season 5 premiere, and I think it probably is the strongest of the season openers. I kind of hope we see more of Augustus St. Cloud, he probably was one of my favorite parts of the episode. EAT THE PENNIES! I kind of imagine that shitting pennies and whatever reaction eating said pennies would cause would be a very unpleasant experience. That and Gary doing more shit after the OSI members left SPHINX, can't wait to see what else he does this season. Such a shame that this season is going to be short compared to the others. At least we got that that Shallow Gravy and the Halloween special out of it.

Also I do kind of like how they handle pop culture references in this show. It isn't as in your face and if you know your shit, you appreciate the joke a little more, while if you don't, it's not like it ruins your experience.

As for the TF2 ad that aired after the season premiere, I enjoyed it, but then again I am one of the few people who likes Team Fortress 2. I just found it interesting that they added 3 different hats based from that episode into the game. Kind of makes me wonder if Adult Swim and Valve are going to team up again and add more hats based on the next episode.

Foggle

Quote from: Daxdiv on June 08, 2013, 06:58:43 PM
As for the TF2 ad that aired after the season premiere, I enjoyed it, but then again I am one of the few people who likes Team Fortress 2.
I figure you mean on this forum, because that game is extremely popular elsewhere. And for the record, I love it as well. ;)

LumRanmaYasha

I love The Venture Bros.. I started the show with the last episode of season 3 and got hooked on it instantly, and immediately watched season 4 afterwards, and my lack of knowledge of the continuity didn't in anyway hinder my enjoyment of it at all. After seeing the whole show, the weakest part of it is the middle parts of season 3, but even that stuff is still quite enjoyable. In anycase, the season 5 premiere was quite fantastic. After three years it doesn't feel like the show ever left at all, which is a good thing. I'm hoping the rest of the season will have the same level of quality.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Foggle on June 08, 2013, 07:05:42 PM
Quote from: Daxdiv on June 08, 2013, 06:58:43 PM
As for the TF2 ad that aired after the season premiere, I enjoyed it, but then again I am one of the few people who likes Team Fortress 2.
I figure you mean on this forum, because that game is extremely popular elsewhere. And for the record, I love it as well. ;)

Yeah, I kind of meant on AR. I know it's popular as shit everywhere else, just not here. It's the 2nd most played game on Steam on any given day, Dota 2 manages to beat that out.

Nel_Annette

Is anyone else loving this season as much as I am? I mean, we could use more Brock Sampson, and way less Sgt. Hatred and his man-titties, and Doctor Venture seems a bit... more naive about the things going on around him? But still, the plots have been pretty funny and the twists in the plot are still pretty cool.

Goldstar

So now Dermott knows that Dr. Venture is his father, which technically makes Dermott the 3rd Venture Brother (actually a half brother). I wonder if he also knows that his "older sister" is actually his mother and that his "mother" is actually his grandmother?
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Spark Of Spirit

Are they really still pushing Sgt. Hatred?

Why?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Silverstar

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 08, 2013, 04:18:56 PM
Are they really still pushing Sgt. Hatred?

Why?

Someone at Astrobase GO! really likes him, I guess. Plus, Doc needs a bodyguard now that Brock's back with OSI.

I just wish somebody would get rid of his man-boobs already.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Daikun

Daikun

An hour-long episode premieres tonight at midnight.

Nel_Annette

That whole thing was fantastic. A lot to process. Looks like the status quo is getting heavily changed again.

And Stephen Colbert came back!  :D

Daikun

After you're done watching the episode, also check out the five-minute epilogue on Adult Swim's website.