Johnny Bravo---The Top 5 episodes

Started by hobbyfan, January 18, 2013, 11:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobbyfan

To think that a bunch of years ago, someone wanted to make a live-action movie based on Johnny Bravo, only to have the hare-brained idea of casting Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson in the title role. Now, while the People's Movie Star might be capable of doing a minor Elvis mimic, this wasn't meant to be, and it never got past the talking stage (thank GOD!).

Anyway, since there wasn't a thread to be had on Johnny, I thought I'd start one, and give you the five best episodes in the series, pilots included.

5. 'Twas the Night. Parody of "A Visit From St. Nicholas", in which Johnny must fill in for Santa (guest star Tom Bosley) after Mr. Claus injures himself on the roof of the Bravo house. Adam West narrates. It's also the better of the Christmas eps.

4. A Date With An Antelope. Johnny tries to find a perfect date, and gets a talking antelope?!?  Oh, did series creator Van Partible miss the boat, or what? Like, I know of a certain one-woman menagerie, who, along with her brother, could've been used in this spot.

3. Johnny Bravo & The Amazon Women. An early pilot that set the tone. We know Johnny's self-centered and about as smart as a dead lightbulb, but he was way in over his head......

2. Bravo Dooby Doo. Johnny meets Scooby-Doo and friends. Enough said.

1. Cookie Crisis. Johnny & Suzie in a send-up of Dr. Seuss' Green Eggs & Ham. A personal favorite.

What are your favorites?

The Shadow Gentleman

Bravo Dooby Doo is the second only to Big Picture Show as the greatest single thing Cartoon Network has ever made.

Avaitor

Hmm, all season 1 episodes. There's some good stuff in here, but my list would be pretty different if I thought about it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

hobbyfan

Season 1 was the best season, of course. The addition of that moron Carl was the Jump The Shark moment for the show, by a wide margin.

It's too bad they never came up with the idea of having Johnny take an IQ test to prove he's actually smarter than something----like a bag of hammers.

Avaitor

Eh, I can't agree with that myself. I quite like Carl and Pops myself, and I appreciate how the show dropped the "Johnny meets this talking animal and does that" storylines from the first season as it went along.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on January 21, 2013, 06:49:53 PM
Eh, I can't agree with that myself. I quite like Carl and Pops myself, and I appreciate how the show dropped the "Johnny meets this talking animal and does that" storylines from the first season as it went along.

This.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 21, 2013, 06:52:04 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on January 21, 2013, 06:49:53 PM

This.
This.

Spark Of Spirit

It's so weird how divisive people are over this series. Some people love the first season and last and hate the rest and vice-versa. Personally I just find that the first and last season have more bland moments, they're not as consistent.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Goldstar

I'm going to 4th this. I didn't mind season 2 of Johnny Bravo myself. While it's true that Johnny went from being merely a clueless egomaniac to a complete moron, I could stand the characters of Carl and Pops. Those characters added some variety to the story lines. The season 1 JB episodes typically fell into 3 distinct types:

1. Johnny gets involved with some pop culture parody.

2. Johnny meets a real life celebrity.

3. Johnny has a run in with some weird animal or person who messes with him throughout the short.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Avaitor

Yeah, JB has by far the most divise run of any CN series. EEnE isn't too far behind, but most fans tend to agree that it's pretty consistent throughout.

New blog!

Foggle

Pops was actually my favorite character, and I was always sad whenever I watched an episode without him. :??:

Silverstar

Quote from: Foggle on January 21, 2013, 07:00:42 PM
Pops was actually my favorite character, and I was always sad whenever I watched an episode without him. :??:

Seconded. The episodes with Pops were always my favorite JBs.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Silverstar on January 21, 2013, 07:24:07 PM
Quote from: Foggle on January 21, 2013, 07:00:42 PM

Seconded. The episodes with Pops were always my favorite JBs.

Thirded. He added a sort of dry-witted humor to the show that I actually enjoyed.

As for me, count me as the person who loved the "in-between" seasons, found the first season to be pretty hit or miss, and downright disliked the last season.

Avaitor

I remember an episode of the last season that completely recycled "Date With an Antelope".

There was no attempt to hide it at all. It was the same damn episode all over again.

New blog!

hobbyfan

Quote from: Avaitor on January 21, 2013, 07:39:54 PM
I remember an episode of the last season that completely recycled "Date With an Antelope".

There was no attempt to hide it at all. It was the same damn episode all over again.

Oh, really? Since Van Partible returned for the final season, what did he use this time? I haven't seen this particular ep.