The Boondocks

Started by Avaitor, December 30, 2010, 03:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSJ Jake

Quote from: Foggle on December 30, 2010, 10:29:09 PM
I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything. :-\

And neither am I. To each his own.

Anyway yeah Boondocks has brilliant writing and great commentary, but the two year delay between seasons is a turn off for me.

YOU AM NO REAL SUPER SAND

Avaitor

I do have to agree that the long gap between seasons is a killer. I know it's partly because they like to get the animation done as perfectly as possible, so they take a while to get everything done.

I also know that Aaron McGruder doesn't really like the animation process all that much, which can probably also relate to the delays, and why another season is up in the air. I was very satisfied with the season 3 finale though, so I don't mind if they end it now.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I always tend to look at things in the more positive light, in that I feel that its better to have fewer high-quality seasons that take a long time of waiting to come out, rather than having the seasons churned out at a faster pace, only to have them drop in quality and not be as good as they really could. I'm content with the first 3 seasons right now, because they are really well-done.

Commode

Okay, let me look to the season 14 episode list on Wikipedia:
Sexual Healing:  Oh boy, an episode parodying Tiger Woods' scandal.  I don't give a shit about Tiger or his personal life, so why should I give a shit about this episode?
The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs: Eh, it was all right, kind of taking on Catcher in the Rye.  Not a fan of Butters, and some of the material was rather juvenile, but I won't say it was unwatchable.
Medicinal Fried Chicken: Don't remember much about it, although the oversized scrotums seemed to take the spotlight of the episode.  No real criticism on this episode.
You Have 0 Friends: I actually enjoyed this episode, although the aspect of making fun of Facebook is bound to be dated in a few years.
200/201:  Liked them, haven't seen them since last spring.  I do think some of the controversy surrounding these was way over-blown, but that really shouldn't affect my judgement on the actual episodes, so no further criticisms.
Crippled Summer: Didn't see this one, but I heard some of the Looney Tunes references were funny.
Poor and Stupid:  Oh joy, a parody of Nascar, something I don't care whatsoever about?  Like the Tiger episode, why should I watch?
It's a Jersey Thing:  Same as the Tiger and Nascar ones, except with some shitty MTV show that I could care less about.
Insheepsion: This one seemed promising, until news broke out that this was just a rip-off of some viral video, instead of Matt and Trey actually going to see the movie they were ripping on.  I mean, it's not like this wasn't the biggest movie of 2010 or anything.  Pass.
The Coon trilogy:  Seems promising, but like the rest of the latter half of the season, I didn't watch any of the episodes.  From what I've read on TZ's talkbacks, there are a few surprises revealed, so it may be worth a watch.
Creme Fraiche:  I like Food Network and I watch it from time to time, but again, why?  Why do we need an entire episode making fun of The Food Network, along with jokes about the Shake-Weight?

All in all, there's a few episodes that were or seemed good, but why watch an entire episode making fun of things I have absolutely no interest in?  At least when Family Guy feels the need to make fun of Christina Aguilara or Britney Spears it's some stupid joke that lasts 30 seconds and doesn't affect the overall episode.  I don't give a shit about Tiger Woods and his marriage/affair,  I don't give a shit about Nascar, I don't give a shit about Jersey Shore.  And that's what I mean by calling the show kind of a cartoon version of TMZ.

And I know that your first comment wasn't directed at me, but the air of the post was humorous to me.  It seemed like you were putting South Park on some sort of pedestal, like no show could equal or better it, like you almost took offense to DLA saying The Boondocks was better than it(and I've seen posts like that from you in the past, but that's something else).  I personally am not a fan of Boondocks, mainly because I haven't yet been able to get into it, but I'd be willing to take some one's word that it might be better than present day South Park, because it really hasn't done good these last few years.

And I'm pretty much done with this if you are, but I couldn't let a chance to re-butt and even explain myself further pass me by.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Good for you, Chalmers, but I'm not interested in derailing this topic.

I will say this much: If you think I'm putting South Park up on some divine pedestal and you think you have seen me do this before, I think that you're overreacting. I don't praise South Park anymore than you praise The Simpsons or Tiny Toons.

I like the show for what it is. You broke down an entire season based on how you view it, and claimed that it doesn't interest "you" at all, or that its stupid to "you" (hmmmm....do I spot a pattern, here?). I myself could do the same for a season of a show that I didn't like, but in the end it'd just be my opinion. You see, you expressed your opinion here and I'm completely fine with that. What I'm not fine with is being treated with absoluely zero respect and being talked down to just because I stated my opinion. And in the case of Family Guy, you may only have to deal with a new topic of humor for only 30 seconds or less at a time, but forgive me if I actually don't find about 29 of the 30 or so different jokes it covers for a single episode to be funny to begin with. That's just me.

Also, just a quick question: If you don't even like The Boondocks as you say, then what was the point of going out of your way to go to this thread to type of a 2-paragraph long reply to one thing I mentioned about 2 shows that you don't even like? I myself find that kind of humorous of you. Ever heard of just letting something go?

Anyways, back to The Boondocks:

Does anyone have any particular favorite characters for this show?

Dr. Insomniac

So is that it? No more of this "SP vs FG" bullshit?

Good.

Personally, both shows are showing signs of decay to the point of being unwatchable, IMO. But that's just me.

And yeah, the wait for the Boondocks seasons was awful. I know great things aren't done in haste, but is it really too much to expect more than a season every two years?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't know. As much as I enjoy this show, I feel like I'm the only one who actually doesn't mind waiting that long for a new season. I mean, I suppose you could say that each new season is just enough episodes for me to be satisfied before I get burned out, and then when the new one finally rolls around, I'm all psyched to see some new episodes. To me that's actually the perfect balance, but I know I'm really the only one who feels that way.

Avaitor

I wouldn't mind the wait as much if we got more than 15 episodes per season. Even a few more, like if they jumped the seasons up to 20 episodes, would make the wait feel a little better.

But whatever. I get a lot of plays out of the episodes anyway.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, yeah, about my characters question: does anyone have any favorites?

To be honest, I myself am not too sure. I need to think about it a little more before replying with my actual favorite.

Avaitor

Ruckus is always worth a laugh, but Ed and Rummy are close as well. Ed Wuncler Sr. as well, if only because Ed Asner is the fucking man.

New blog!

Daxdiv

My favorite characters in this show always range from different characters, though consistent favorites are always Robert "Grandpa" Freeman, Uncle Ruckus, Otis "Thugnificent" Jenkins, and both of the Wunclers. They're always funny to me, and I like how much of an interaction they have with one another.

gunswordfist

Family Guy sucks, but its my favorite show because I have nothing better to do with my life than to watch lame pop-culture references back-to-back. I am trying to get Season 2 from my library...again.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Avaitor on December 30, 2010, 10:23:34 PM
Quote from: Foggle on December 30, 2010, 10:10:36 PM
I've only seen a couple episodes of The Boondocks. It's pretty funny. The comic strip it's based off of is fucking rancid, though. Anyone got any episode recommendations for me?
I feel bad for bringing up South Park and Family Guy in the same sentence again so I'm going to avoid talking about the two for now, but I'll reply to you.

Some key episodes from season 1 include

"Guess Hoe's Coming to Dinner"- A Pimp Named Slickback. Say no more.
"A Date With a Health Inspector"- Classic Tom, plus the introduction of Gin Rummy, played by none other than Sam Jackson. There's even some epic Pulp Fiction references in there."Return of the King"- How many other shows can get MLK to come out and say that BET is the worst thing he's ever seen?
"Let's Nab Oprah"- More Ed and Rummy comedy gold, plus some great Enter the Dragon callbacks.
"The Passion of Ruckus"- I went into great detail on the old board about this one, but let me just say that it's class.

I'll come back to seasons 2 and 3 later.
Greatest episode of the entire series and funny enough, the very first episode I've seen of the show. I laughed so freaking hard and you gotta love Gin Rummy. Oh and I recommend The Red Ball and whatever the Tyler Perry episode from season 3 was called. Oh and the first episode of season 2

gunswordfist

Hey EK, why don't you go burn in hell for loving South Park so much?

My favorite characters are Riley Ed the Third, Gin Rummy, Grandpa and Uncle Ruckus.

Avaitor

Way to triple post, man.

New blog!