Greatest Villain: Nomination Thread

Started by Pharass, January 07, 2011, 06:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Quote from: Pharass on January 09, 2011, 04:11:43 PM
By the way, wasn't Dracula in "Nosferatu" called Orlock for legal reasons?

Just as the Devil was called "Chernabog" in Fantasia. It's still the Devil. ;)

Pharass

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 11, 2011, 11:40:29 AM
Quote from: Pharass on January 09, 2011, 04:11:43 PM
By the way, wasn't Dracula in "Nosferatu" called Orlock for legal reasons?

Just as the Devil was called "Chernabog" in Fantasia. It's still the Devil. ;)

That's true.

By the way, keep nominating everyone. This tournament won't happen without your participation.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I would nominate more, but I've already almost reached my limit of 20 nominations, so I'm thinking carefully about my last 2 since there are a bunch of villains I still want to nominate.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 12, 2011, 05:28:28 PM
Well, I would nominate more, but I've already almost reached my limit of 20 nominations, so I'm thinking carefully about my last 2 since there are a bunch of villains I still want to nominate.

I'm running out of ideas. So if you think of more then two people, feel free to tell me and I'll make them my nominations. ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, alright, but for now one of my last 2 nominations left will be Claudandus from Felidae.

Pharass

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 12, 2011, 08:50:40 PM
Well, alright, but for now one of my last 2 nominations left will be Claudandus from Felidae.

Claudandus: Evil cat or most evil cat?

You know, I've been thinking of giving everyone unlimited nominations in order to get this list finished. How's that sound to you guys? Everyone in favor, say "aye".

Of course, this could mean that I would have to expand the list, but that's what the "modify" button is for.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Pharass on January 13, 2011, 02:58:22 AM
Claudandus: Evil cat or most evil cat?

Well, he was only trying to recreate an extinct species of cat at the cost of wiping out every other species that got in the way....so yeah, I'd go with most evil. ;)

And I'm all for extended nominations. I'll try and at least get some other members of the board to put in their nominations, but I can think of at least another 10-20 more villains that I love for varying reasons, myself.

gunswordfist

Thanks for nominating One Eye and The Killer which I am sure you did, EK. Ah Jong is technically not a villain though. He's a bad guy but he's the hero of the movie. It's kind of the same thing for Scarface too. I am just giving you shit for when you gave me shit about Saito and Scar.  :sly: Speaking of which:

Scar (Fullmetal Alchemist)
Saito (Rurouni Kenshin)

They are villains before the join the side of the hero. More:

Alonzo Harris (Training Day)
Vincent (Collateral)
The Thing (John Carpenter's The Thing)
Two-Face (Batman The Animated Series)
Proto Man (As Break Man in Mega Man 3)
Akuma (Street Fighter)
Hush (Batman)
Vergil (Devil May Cry 3)
Governor (The Walking Dead)

The Thing is the best monster villain ever, for those who don't know.

EDIT: Crap, just saw that EK already nominated Vincent. Stop stealing my nominations!
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on January 13, 2011, 03:22:22 PM
Thanks for nominating One Eye and The Killer which I am sure you did, EK. Ah Jong is technically not a villain though. He's a bad guy but he's the hero of the movie. It's kind of the same thing for Scarface too. I am just giving you shit for when you gave me shit about Saito and Scar.  :sly: Speaking of which:

Actually, as I recall it, I'm the one who told YOU on the last villain thread that Ah Jong was not a real villain, when YOU nominated him on the last villain thread we had. It kind of doesn't work in your favorite when its someone that you nominated before. Nice try, though. :D

QuoteVincent (Collateral)

I already nominated him. I can't believe I forgot about Alonzo, though.

Pharass

EK. Ah Jong is technically not a villain though. He's a bad guy but he's the hero of the movie.

I haven't seen "The Killer", but protagonists can be villains as well (for example; Light Yagami or Shakespeare's Richard III) but perhaps Ah Jong is more of an anti-hero?

Not that it matters. For now, let's just concentrate on nominating our favorite villains and if someone makes a choice anypne else disagrees with, we can always sort that out during the actual tournament.

By the way, I've decided to give everyone unlimited nominations, I will also extend the list, should it be necessary to do so.

Also, I'm adding the following ones:

Askeladd (Vinland Saga)
Lord Gro (The Worm Ouroboros)
Satan (Paradise Lost)

Yes, I'm aware that there are those who consider Satan the hero of the poem (note;protagonist doesn't always equal hero) and sure he possesses admirable and heroic traits. In the end though, he's still a self-serving bastard who's willing to basically damn humanity in order to spite God. Sure, I sort of rooted for him during the whole thing, but that had more to do with him being the story's most complex and interesting character than anything else.

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Avaitor

I know that I should have some more people to nominate, but I can't think of anything right now.

I'll try to come back later.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 13, 2011, 03:49:42 PM
Thanks for nominating One Eye and The Killer which I am sure you did, EK. Ah Jong is technically not a villain though. He's a bad guy but he's the hero of the movie. It's kind of the same thing for Scarface too. I am just giving you shit for when you gave me shit about Saito and Scar.  :sly: Speaking of which:

Actually, as I recall it, I'm the one who told YOU on the last villain thread that Ah Jong was not a real villain, when YOU nominated him on the last villain thread we had. It kind of doesn't work in your favorite when its someone that you nominated before. Nice try, though. :D

QuoteVincent (Collateral)

I already nominated him. I can't believe I forgot about Alonzo, though.
Yeah, you did say that about Ah Jong. And I already talked about Vincent in the edit. Anyway, who do you like more, Vincent or Alonzo Harris? I think I'd give Alonzo the edge.
Quote from: Pharass on January 13, 2011, 03:54:24 PM
EK. Ah Jong is technically not a villain though. He's a bad guy but he's the hero of the movie.

I haven't seen "The Killer", but protagonists can be villains as well (for example; Light Yagami or Shakespeare's Richard III) but perhaps Ah Jong is more of an anti-hero?

Not that it matters. For now, let's just concentrate on nominating our favorite villains and if someone makes a choice anypne else disagrees with, we can always sort that out during the actual tournament.

By the way, I've decided to give everyone unlimited nominations, I will also extend the list, should it be necessary to do so.

Also, I'm adding the following ones:

Askeladd (Vinland Saga)
Lord Gro (The Worm Ouroboros)
Satan (Paradise Lost)

Yes, I'm aware that there are those who consider Satan the hero of the poem (note;protagonist doesn't always equal hero) and sure he possesses admirable and heroic traits. In the end though, he's still a self-serving bastard who's willing to basically damn humanity in order to spite God. Sure, I sort of rooted for him during the whole thing, but that had more to do with him being the story's most complex and interesting character than anything else.

Ah Jong is FAR from an anti-hero. He is the complete opposite of someone who is reluctant to be the hero, at least for the cause he fought for in the hero. Oh and one other scene EK would have blurted out loud.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Alonzo is definitely the better villain of the 2, and I would attribute that in big part to him having a better portrayal than Vincent, since Denzel Washington is clearly a far better actor than Tom Cruise. Still, I think Vincent is a great and really memorable villain in his own right, and even though I normally do not like Tome Cruise's acting, this role is one of the only 2 or 3 exceptions for me among his entire career as an actor.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Another nomination of mine:

Gordon Gekko (Wall Street)

In the case of this list lets just completely ignore Money Never Sleeps.

Also:

Max Cady (Cape Fear)
Freddy Krueger (A Nightmare on Elm Street)
Michael Meyers (Halloween)
Biff Tannen and all of his iterations (Back to the Future trilogy)
Michael Corleone (The Godfather Part II)- Keep in mind that I do think this film is overrated, but I'll give good ol' Mikey his dues
Freeza (Dragon Ball Z/Kai/manga)
Ben Wade (3:10 to Yuma 2007 film)- BTW, This is hands down one of the few and only remakes that is better than the original, IMO
Charlie Prince (3:10 to Yuma 2007 film)

Avaitor

Magneto (X-Men)
Angelus (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
Spike (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
Willow (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
Hans Gruber (Die Hard)
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/