Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That's one thing that ticks me off about the MCU formula. Every villain sans Loki has to die by the end of the film. It's extremely predictable and boring. And, just think about it. In the comics and some of the cartoons, the villains get multiple appearances, and their rivalry with the heroes as arch enemies is allowed to build and develop. That's something that you can't really capture well in a single film. And the case in point is that Loki has had 3 films up to this point, and you really buy the chemistry between him and Thor as both brothers and bitter enemies. On the other hand, every other MCU villain is the least memorable thing about each respective film.

Spark Of Spirit

Would it be controversial to say that I don't think the Red Skull is dead? That final scene is too vague to be a definitive death to me.

But I do agree. The villains need to either get put away or get away somehow. Killing them all off is too predictable and is not always appropriate to the story. (Though I could argue that Pierce isn't really the main bad guy in Winter Soldier, but Zola, he still does technically "die" at the end.)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

it would be fine if the villains were better. i also think red skull could still be alive.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

They've expressed little interest in bringing the Red Skull back, but I did take his ending as ambiguous in the movie. I would like to see him return, since as I said earlier, the Skull worked better as a threat to Cap in present day stories as opposed to his WWII exploits.

Although when you think about it, the MCU hasn't been using too many of the hero's big villains in their movies, which is why they're done for at the end of the flick. Loki is an obvious exception, and I just brought up the Red Skull as well. Whiplash is another one that could have been kept around to make things interesting for the Iron Man franchise, but the end result there was an unfortunate dud. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens with Ultron for AOU.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8mrZ1kGCfo

Also...

"There's just one lesson left, President Ellis. So run away, hide, kiss your children goodbye. Because nothing, not your army, not your red, white and blue attack dog can save you!"

I know he doesn't count, but still.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If we can't get Red Skull back as a villain, I at least want a character named Dell Rusk as a nod to him in the next film.

Actually, as far as villains go, while not that memorable, I found Red Skull to be one of the more fun. MCU villains with how over the top he was in a way that you'd expect a golden age comic book villain to be.

Spark Of Spirit

Some people were actually expecting him to show up in Winter Soldier, actually.

I liked him as a villain. Pure Golden Age evil, but he fit perfectly. I wouldn't mind seeing him show up one last time, but I don't know if that's in the cards. Bringing Hydra back without him feels like a piece is missing.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

green goblin in spider-man 1 is much better.

Avaitor

Speaking of Hydra, I wonder if they're considering Madame Hydra for Cap 3. She was always a good one, and we could use a strong female villain in the MCU. True, there was Nebula, but I mean one who actually does something. :P
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 30, 2014, 04:53:42 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on March 15, 2014, 09:00:13 PM
I don't really see why Captain America is great (just good to me) and I actually like Avengers more. For me it's:

Iron Man
Avengers
Captain America
Thor
The Incredible Hulk (I need to rewatch Hulk hence this ranking)/Thor 2
Iron Man 2

I've yet to see Iron Man 3 and the first Iron Man movie is what I might consider great, idk, it's been awhile with that one too.
I'll just do a live action list for now:

The Dark Knight
Sin City
Batman Begins
Iron Man
Blade (need to rewatch, been awhile)
X-Men 1 and First Class (I have to rewatch both to separate them)
Avengers
Captain America
Thor
Amazing Spider-Man
X-Men The Last Stand
The Dark Knight Rises
Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man 1
V For Vendetta
Wolverine: X-Men Origins
The Incredible Hulk/Thor 2
X2
Spider-Man 3
Iron Man 2
Blade 2
Blade 3

Honestly, I need to rewatch every pre-2012 movie on this list for a proper ranking. I haven't seen the Batman films and Superman films since I was a kid so they won't be listed until I've seen them as an adult. I also have never seen Superman Returns, Man Of Steel, Iron Man 3, Winter Soldier or Days Of The Future Past.

I forgot some movies:

1. Lone Wolf And Cub
2. The Dark Knight
3. Sin City
4. Batman Begins
5. 300
6. Iron Man
7. Blade (need to rewatch, been awhile)
8. The Crow (REALLY need to rewatch this.)
9. X-Men 1 and First Class (I have to rewatch both to separate them)
10. Avengers
11. Captain America
12. Thor
13. Lady Snowblood
14. Punisher Warzone
15. Amazing Spider-Man
16. X-Men The Last Stand
17. The Dark Knight Rises
18. Spider-Man 2
19. Spider-Man 1
20. V For Vendetta
21. Wolverine: X-Men Origins
22. The Incredible Hulk/Thor 2
23. The Losers
24. X2
25. Punisher (Theatrical Release)
26. Spider-Man 3
27. Iron Man 2
28. Blade 2
29. Blade 3

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/robert-downey-jr-to-join-captain-america-3-exclusive-1201312229/

And....I'm scared.

As you all know, Captain America is my favorite superhero movie series so far. He's my favorite Avenger, and I just find the character really appealing compared to many other heroes, what with his more straightforward and optimistic attitude. When I first heard that Robert Downy Jr. would have a significant role to play in Captain America 3, I was already a bit nervous because I do believe that, aside from brief cameos, these "solo" MCU films should really just be kept SOLO. I feel that if you give someone like RDJ a big role in a CA movie, he'll just end up stealing screen time from Chris Evans. That said, I could still see the great possibilities from this mashup if I didn't strictly consider it to just be a CS movie. But then I found out that it's going to adapt the Civil War storyline from the comics....and then my excitement dropped even more, and my skepticism rose.

I have never read the Civil War storyline, and have barely read the comics, at that. But I'm well aware of it's very mixed (at best) reputation among fans, and based on what I've heard about it, I probably wouldn't enjoy that kind of story the way that it was written. Maybe the movies can adapt it better, but I'm really not keen on seeing the film's take on one of the most controversial (for the wrong reasons) story lines in the Marvel Universe. I still want to hold out hope that this movie will be great since we still have 2 years until it comes out, and as far as I know, nothing's been finalized yet. That said, I'm just praying that this doesn't turn into an absolute mess like Iron Man 2 did, with so much complication potentially going into its plot.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm nervous now. This sounds nothing like the other two movies.

Anything involving Civil War makes be doubly nervous.

Putting in Tony Stark to take the spotlight away from Cap makes me triply nervous.

I was hoping Captain America 3 would be focusing on taking out the newly reformed Hydra while dealing with the loose ends from the first two movies and wrapping all three up. It feels like they're trying to Iron Man 2-it up by making it a platform for the movie universe instead.

I'm now going to have to wait for a trailer.

QuoteOriginally, Marvel wanted to hire Downey for a small role, which would have required just three weeks of work. But Downey wanted Stark to have a more substantial role in the film's plot, which would give him more screen time and naturally a bigger payday. This angered Marvel Entertainment chief Ike Perlmutter, who ordered the screenwriters to write Iron Man out of the script entirely, sources said.
NO, STOP IT! RDJ should be having no say on the CA movies!

Ugh. This is not looking good. At all.

gunswordfist

I just skimmed the last two posts due to me not seeing Cap 2 yet and I want nothing from it spoiled so all I say is Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 and I believe a bit of Cable and Deadpool are the only Civil Wr related anythings that are good.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I'm really not happy about this. Someone else said it perfectly, but it feels more like they are trying to make Avengers 2.5 with this movie rather than Captain America 3, and even then, if they are adapting Civil War, there's very little chance of it even being a good pseudo-Avengers movie. This just has "bad idea" written all over it, IMO.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 14, 2014, 11:48:48 PM
Yeah, I'm really not happy about this. Someone else said it perfectly, but it feels more like they are trying to make Avengers 2.5 with this movie rather than Captain America 3, and even then, if they are adapting Civil War, there's very little chance of it even being a good pseudo-Avengers movie. This just has "bad idea" written all over it, IMO.
I don't get why they're doing this, if they go through with it. Winter Soldier was one of their most successful films, why mess with what people want?

I mean, I liked Tony and Steve's banter in The Avengers as much as the next guy, but I don't want it to take away from Steve's films. He has his own arc going on outside of The Avengers, and this Civil War garbage is not something anyone wants and has nothing to do with him as a character.

Of course, then we won't have masterful scenes like a pundit saying Captain America can have no say on important issues because he doesn't post on the newest useless social networking site. Because that's what I want when I watch superhero movies-- undercooked rhetoric. This really needs to not happen.