Most Anticipated Video Games

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on September 25, 2023, 06:05:35 PMFunny thing is, I downloaded the classic RE trilogy on my PS3 a few years back but when I tried to boot any of them up it just said it was installing, and after installation was complete and I selected the game, it said....it was still installing. I've tried everything, but can't seem to get any of them to activate, and I wonder if it's just that the PS3 slim model I have might not be compatible with those PS1 games. I'm honestly not sure, but I'll just play it on a PSX emulator at some point. I've seen some of my favorite gaming YouTubers say that this is still the better overall version of the game, and I actually really enjoyed the remake for what it was, so I'd love to experience the original.
That's really too bad about the PS3 install problem. That console sadly has a lot of issues with emulation in general, so I assume it might be related to that. I've played RE2 and 3 on a PS3 but I was using my discs instead of downloading them so I sadly can't help there.

There are things I love about the original RE1, particularly the incredibly goofy characterization - everyone always points to Jill and Barry's interactions as the best, and they're definitely hilarious, but I think Chris, Rebecca, and Wesker might be even funnier in his scenario - but in general I do think the remake of 1 is a straight upgrade unlike 2-4. It's worth playing for sure, especially because you can beat it in around 5 hours, but it often feels like it's missing something if you've played the remake.

QuoteI still need to beat classic Quake, but if I could be a bit blasphemous I find it to be ever so slightly improved from it's spiritual predecessor in the classic DOOM and Wolfenstein games. Something about the pacing of combat and the somewhat more nuanced and specific weapon types really make it feel like the perect blend of all things that make a great classic-style FPS game.
I totally agree. I think Quake 1 is my favorite classic id game, and the remaster with its additional content just cements that. I highly recommend checking out the remaster of Doom 64 as well if you haven't! Really underrated game, and with the improved modern controls it truly lives up to its series' high quality bar.

Another classic FPS that's definitely worth a look is Blood. It's Monolith's first game, somehow every bit as good as F.E.A.R., and easily my favorite shooter with the "2D sprites in 3D" style. The Fresh Supply remaster makes it pretty easy to pick up and play - sadly, it's only on PC, but it's a game from 1997 so I don't think it should cause any problems. Just be prepared to save often because it's brutally hard. :il_hahaha:

QuoteI actually have a Series X! That's where I played stuff like Hi-Fi Rush (for free with my Game Pass subscription, actually), and the Halo Master Chief Collection, as well as Panzer Dragoon Orta, NGB, and various other titles. And yes, the classic NG titles run so well here.

I actually didn't even realize that classic F.E.A.R. is available on the Series X! I'll have to check that out.
Awesome! The backwards compatibility on Series X is truly unparalleled. I don't even own any actual Series X games, but with my whole OG Xbox and 360 back catalog it still feels worthwhile. Unfortunately, due to rights issues or something, F.E.A.R. and Files aren't downloadable - you have to own the discs. I recently found 360 copies of both at Half Price Books for super cheap and snatched them up. If you still own your copies definitely try 'em out!

QuoteThat and The Wonderful 101 are the Platinum games I most want sequels to, but that we'll probably never get.
Apparently Kamiya just left Platinum. Him and Mikami being in limbo at the moment feels pretty rough. I hope they each quit their respective studios because they want to start another new one together. :kabapu:

QuoteI definitely recommend Hi-Fi Rush if you can get around to it. I'm not even a fan of rhythm games but combining that with a classic style hack n' slash works incredibly well and it feels super satisfying to time and pull off successful combos that sync with the beat. It does this without actually constraining your creativity in combat, and the fact that it had some key staff members and Tango who go all the way back to the original DMC working on it really shows in this game's DNA.
It's on my list for sure! (I bought it day one lol, gotta support my faves.) I'm really glad games like Hi-Fi Rush can still get made occasionally, and its extremely positive reception following its surprise release gives me hope for the future of gaming.

Mustang

I've tried posting a couple of times and backed down due to my thoughts being jumbled and sick. I'm about 80% recovered now so let's get it.

Tokyo Game Show was garbage. Might be the worst showcase this year so far. I do look at these showcases but I try not to let my expectations get the better of me. Majority of the time my expectations are in check. The only time they aren't is when I decide to tune into a prediction stream (against my better judgment).

Anyway, the only game that actually caught my eye was the Trails game (terrible new name, but whatever). Other than that I think Persona 3 Remake was shown (I don't recall, but my love for P5, yeah) and I recently said my piece about FF7Rebirth.

Ok, now to the good stuff. I see a lot has been said and I agree with the bulk of it. I see you firing some shots Ensatsu-ken. I got my eye on you and Spider-man  :sly: It's all good though.

I will say this though. I hear both of you when it comes to time and gaming. I have a lot of time these days because gaming at the moment is my only hobby. I don't really watch tv, anime, movies these days. Sure, I'll binge to get caught up on something once in a blue moon (be it WWE, One Piece, etc), but most of my time; work (6am-2:30pm), workout (20-45 mins), gaming. If I wanted to I could divide my time up to fit in some tv time, but there's literally nothing I'm interested in. Y'all some good ones for sure. I've probably played Ninja Gaiden 1&2 about 7-8 times each back in the day. Today, I probably wouldn't be able to finish it because I've exhausted just about all the fun I can get outta them (you'd probably call it blasphemy if I were to tell you how I really feel about DMC these days lol). The only games I'd replay these days are RPG's (I don't need to mention fighters do I?) because there's always some kind of build I can test out, if able to (which is why I harp on customizing and freedom).

And I have a lot of RPG's under my belt. Imo, if you've played 1, you've them all. If you've played FF16, you've play Tails of Arise, etc. Just a matter of picking your flavor (so I have em all and I'm gonna try them all) Hell, tempted to add Witcher 3, Nier (I kinda owe these games a redo) and Baldur's Gate 3 to the mix. Hell, I'm even tempted to add the Divinities to the mix as well just because. I don't know if I'll ever get Souls, but I may get Elden Ring too. And this is me opening up to "some" games you'd never catch me playing.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on September 26, 2023, 01:11:50 PMThat's really too bad about the PS3 install problem. That console sadly has a lot of issues with emulation in general, so I assume it might be related to that. I've played RE2 and 3 on a PS3 but I was using my discs instead of downloading them so I sadly can't help there.

I was considering doing that, but nowadays people charge outrageous prices for old CD's of questionable condition thanks to the used games market being fucked up by people trying to make a profit. The Gamecube version is even worse going for hundreds of dollars in some cases (and that's actually considered to be the best version of that game, from what I've heard).

QuoteThere are things I love about the original RE1, particularly the incredibly goofy characterization - everyone always points to Jill and Barry's interactions as the best, and they're definitely hilarious, but I think Chris, Rebecca, and Wesker might be even funnier in his scenario - but in general I do think the remake of 1 is a straight upgrade unlike 2-4. It's worth playing for sure, especially because you can beat it in around 5 hours, but it often feels like it's missing something if you've played the remake.

"Chris....stop it!...." will always be my personal favorite just for the delivery alone. To be fair, even the remake has its gems, like: "Jill and Barry, together....in Hell!"

QuoteI totally agree. I think Quake 1 is my favorite classic id game, and the remaster with its additional content just cements that. I highly recommend checking out the remaster of Doom 64 as well if you haven't! Really underrated game, and with the improved modern controls it truly lives up to its series' high quality bar.

Another classic FPS that's definitely worth a look is Blood. It's Monolith's first game, somehow every bit as good as F.E.A.R., and easily my favorite shooter with the "2D sprites in 3D" style. The Fresh Supply remaster makes it pretty easy to pick up and play - sadly, it's only on PC, but it's a game from 1997 so I don't think it should cause any problems. Just be prepared to save often because it's brutally hard. :il_hahaha:

I actually have all of the classic DOOM games on my Switch, including 64, but just haven't gotten around to that one yet. I do want to try and finish Quake first, which does get very difficult but that's kind of mitigated by being able to save anywhere. It's more of a case of my limited time and attention getting dragged to other places, but I will get back to it. But yeah, there's something about that classic gameplay style that really sets it apart from any modern shooters. I actually have also really been wanting to play Dusk which I hear is a genuinely brilliant throwback to classic FPS games for that reason.

QuoteAwesome! The backwards compatibility on Series X is truly unparalleled. I don't even own any actual Series X games, but with my whole OG Xbox and 360 back catalog it still feels worthwhile. Unfortunately, due to rights issues or something, F.E.A.R. and Files aren't downloadable - you have to own the discs. I recently found 360 copies of both at Half Price Books for super cheap and snatched them up. If you still own your copies definitely try 'em out!

I actually didn't know that the disc version was backwards compatible. I do own the disc version of the original game, but it's in a CD binder of all of my old 360 games that I gave to my brother several years ago back in New Jersey. I'll have to grab that one and try it out on my Series X when I go to visit next month.

But, yes, I can unironically say that the Series X is saved as a console in my eyes for it's excellent catalogue of classic games and backwards compatability that neither the PS5 or Switch even come close to. The current gen games are a joke for the most part (except for certain smaller titles like Hi-Fi Rush and some others), but the back catalogue is one of the best that I've seen on any console ever.

QuoteIt's on my list for sure! (I bought it day one lol, gotta support my faves.) I'm really glad games like Hi-Fi Rush can still get made occasionally, and its extremely positive reception following its surprise release gives me hope for the future of gaming.

I kind of wish more developers and studios would take a gamble on more unique, but smaller-budget titles. It'd be a lot more interesting than trying to stake everything on safe, formulaic big budget games that don't do much new, IMO.

Mustang

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on September 28, 2023, 05:36:05 PMI kind of wish more developers and studios would take a gamble on more unique, but smaller-budget titles. It'd be a lot more interesting than trying to stake everything on safe, formulaic big budget games that don't do much new, IMO.

PREACH!!!!

I think that's would be my big hiccup on modern gaming. Everyone across the board is playing it too safe IMO. I almost want to crown Nintendo and Capcom as kings because they take risks. I understand that, right now, a lot of small time companies can't really afford to fail or they're going under and that's unfortunate. But I can definitely use some variety from these companies though.

I don't know if any of you tune into Alanah Pearce at all, but she shed some light from the inside a few weeks ago (given that she works at Sony Santa Monica). She said something along the lines of Dev's wanting to put out new games, but it's not up to them. Apparently, it's the Publishers who're giving them orders on what game to put out and whatnot. If I find the video, I'll post it.

I am an idiot
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Mustang on September 28, 2023, 03:38:20 PMI've tried posting a couple of times and backed down due to my thoughts being jumbled and sick. I'm about 80% recovered now so let's get it.

Sorry to hear about that though, glad you're feeling better now.

QuoteOk, now to the good stuff. I see a lot has been said and I agree with the bulk of it. I see you firing some shots Ensatsu-ken. I got my eye on you and Spider-man  :sly: It's all good though.

Just being honest about my opinions, lol. I have no issue with other people enjoying these games so much. I'll still probably play it as well, just because I'm a Spider-Man fan at heart, but I'd be lying if I said it was something I truly anticipate as a video game. ;)

QuoteI will say this though. I hear both of you when it comes to time and gaming. I have a lot of time these days because gaming at the moment is my only hobby. I don't really watch tv, anime, movies these days. Sure, I'll binge to get caught up on something once in a blue moon (be it WWE, One Piece, etc), but most of my time; work (6am-2:30pm), workout (20-45 mins), gaming. If I wanted to I could divide my time up to fit in some tv time, but there's literally nothing I'm interested in. Y'all some good ones for sure. I've probably played Ninja Gaiden 1&2 about 7-8 times each back in the day. Today, I probably wouldn't be able to finish it because I've exhausted just about all the fun I can get outta them (you'd probably call it blasphemy if I were to tell you how I really feel about DMC these days lol). The only games I'd replay these days are RPG's (I don't need to mention fighters do I?) because there's always some kind of build I can test out, if able to (which is why I harp on customizing and freedom).

See, if I still had a consistent work schedule it would serve to my benefit like that. I'm not even a morning person by 7 Am - 3PM is my favorite hours because I can get up at 4 AM to go to the gym, and then be done with my entire day by 3 so even though I get tired early that way, it feels like I can do whatever I want for the rest of the day. But then some days I'm mid-shift or closing, and it cycles in 3-week intervals so I can never have a truly consistent schedule with my current job which is one of the many reasons I have started applying elsewhere. That said, even if I did get my ideal hours, truth be told I want to go out and socialize with friends more, as I'm living away from most of my family and feel pretty isolated most of the time just keeping to myself because of my odd hours, so even though I doubt that I'd have much more time for gaming.

Quote from: Mustang on September 28, 2023, 06:11:14 PMPREACH!!!!

I think that's would be my big hiccup on modern gaming. Everyone across the board is playing it too safe IMO. I almost want to crown Nintendo and Capcom as kings because they take risks. I understand that, right now, a lot of small time companies can't really afford to fail or they're going under and that's unfortunate. But I can definitely use some variety from these companies though.

I don't know if any of you tune into Alanah Pearce at all, but she shed some light from the inside a few weeks ago (given that she works at Sony Santa Monica). She said something along the lines of Dev's wanting to put out new games, but it's not up to them. Apparently, it's the Publishers who're giving them orders on what game to put out and whatnot. If I find the video, I'll post it.

I am an idiot

Oh, for sure, I should have worded that part of my post better, but the developers are not at fault here, at least most of the time. What I should have said was that more publishers should allow their dev teams to work on smaller, lower-budget titles but that are more experimental. If they are successful they can expand them into larger projects through sequels or spirituals successors. That seems like the most realistic middle-ground for more game variety in the current landscape of the industry, IMO.

Mustang

Spring, Summer, Fall my sinuses sucks.

My thing for Spider-man 2, sure I'm into the story. Anytime Venom/Symbiote Spidey is involved, I need to see how it's being handled. Other than that, and don't judge me, but I'm all about them spidey suits  :sweat: . Everything else is whatever lol. I think it was Miles that really hooked me onto the suits. Oh, and I love gadgets.

Technically, we're supposed to be on 7-3:30, but damn that. I hate traffic and I hate mornings (I prefer midnight to be honest), but dealing with construction, rush hour, and ignorant people on the road at 3:00, I'm good. As for your schedule, sheesh, I don't miss those days. Back when I first started this job (2011) I had a weird schedule. Fri-Sat mornings, Sun-Mon nights 12 hr shifts. Ever since that time, production line can miss me. I know and feel your pain with them weird ass schedules. Now going out and socializing, because I play fighting games, Saturday's, if my niece and nephew aren't here, I go to my locals, but in terms of my inner circle, we're scattered across the map which allow us to set up some Jackbox/Among Us, and them other weird socializing games for some fun nights. If I had a proper setup, I think I can become a decent streamer. I got a lot of ideas.

As far as these studios working on lower budget titles, I'm all for it. I see no reason why games like Tunic, Cult of the Lamb, Shovel Knight, Sea of Stars, etc as successful as they are, how are Microsoft and Sony not jumping on that bandwagon. Hell, they want to buy up everything. Fork over some of that money to those small indie dev's or even smaller teams in your own company for crying out loud, and spread some of that AAA talent to other teams.

With Jim Ryan retiring, we'll see where gaming is heading in 2024 and beyond I guess.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Mustang

Did anyone else catch the Game Awards? The trailers weren't bad, and for the most part I can probably tell you that I'm eating good, but I was definitely expecting more than what was shown. Just a tad bit anyway. If people are/were disappointed, I totally get it. If anything, I think people (myself included) need to chill for a bit because we're all anticipating what's next when there's 3 month's worth of stuff starting next month that we still have to get to. If you have nothing coming, cool, anticipate and wonder on. I'm not trying to sound derogatory or anything.

I said something earlier this year (I think it was this year) about playing games at my own pace. I'll get to said new game when I'm ready. I still mean it, but I found myself getting caught up with the crowd and anticipating the next set of announcements when I still have other games I need to get caught up on or prepare for. Big deal, Wolverine was not there. What was there was some other games with release dates. That being said,

Rise of the Ronin
I don't want to get my hopes up, but am I seeing Ghost and Nioh together? What I mean by that is, Nioh's combat plus the exploration/openness of Ghost. That's dreamlike stuff coming true for me, if that's what this is. And the fact that this is coming in March, wow.

Black Myth Wukong
I'm on and off with this one. The latest trailer got me questioning quite a few things now. I was sold back when it was first announced. There are some things I haven't seen since the first reveal. Maybe they're holding onto it for spoilers and that's cool, but I don't know. And then a lot of these creature designs don't really hit for me.

I skipped watching both FF7R and P3R. I don't need to see anything else about them.

Metaphor
Persona creators are kind of going crazy with this one. I thought I saw it was suppose to be on PS5, but if it's exclusive to Xbox then I gotta get me an Xbox then.

Visions of Mana
I have Trials of Mana and don't really care for it. This one here, the character shown I don't particularly care for but, assuming these 2 games are of the same elk, I'm hoping this one can draw me in. And I'm just at that point where you can't go wrong with getting me into JRPG's. Getting me to stick with them is a bigger hurdle though.

Zenless Zone Zero
Not really sure how I feel about Gacha games. I was interested in Genshin Impact, but never fully committed because it seemed like there was no end. Like, all these characters are introduced, ok. Cool, but why? Raids or story? If raids then I can jump on board and just go for story. If story then I'm good, because I need an ending otherwise, yeah, I'm not playing forever.

Sega stuff
HOLY HELL. Nuff said.

First Berserker: Khazan
This is all thanks to DNF Duel obviously, and for the most part any action game I have to at least give more attention just because of the genre itself. Again, getting me to stick with it is the bigger hurdle.

Arknights Endfield
Matchless Kungfu
Both of these only has my attention at the moment. I'm very iffy with the Kungfu game, especially seeing online stuff. Arknights might have a huge hurdle right out the gate. Graphics is pretty. If this is one of those "waifu" games, I'm out.

That's pretty much it for me. Like I said, I'm eating pretty good. Good enough to have a drought for a few months. I got fighting games, Rpg's and action. If I want racing I can do that too. I got games for the niece and nephew. I'm sitting pretty good for sure, and I think others are as well, if they just stop and touch grass for a moment instead of rushing to play the next big game. Enjoy what you have.

Edit:
Watching this with a group of people from the FGC is a no no. Toxic enough on our own. Get together with a bunch of people waiting for something fighting game related is just some of the most hatin ass shit you're gonna hear. That's just me keeping it honest. I tell everyone that's not a part of the FGC that Evo is our E3/award or whatever, watching this with them proved that. Elphelt from Guilty Gear Strive was the only thing fighting game related at the event. And she wasn't revealed until the 3rd hour mark I believe. So waiting all that time, oh man, when I tell you all I heard was "when's Elphelt" or "where's Elphelt" or "don't care where's Elphelt". A sad scene but we want our time to shine. All I can do is shake my head. I'm old, I get that, but why watch if you gotta troll? Don't like what you see, cool, go do something until we're done or something.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Mustang

Here we are again, with Xbox thingy happening last week (I think) and Sony's state of play just happened. From what I can recall, presentation was excellent, but what was shown was not for me at all.

Sony on the other hand, was relatively solid, but at the same time, outside of Ronin, not what I was looking for.

HOWEVER

Stellar Blade
I was never drawn to it. Initial announcement back then I thought "an action game for the pervs". This state of play, "Still an action game for pervs", but reinforced with changing costumes now, lovely. Graphics are great. Everything else just did nothing for me. I even tried to look specifically at the combat alone. Nothing.

Dragon's Dogma 2
I bailed on the 1st one hard. All the trailers that was shown before this one I was out. This trailer that was shown here, got me. I don't care for this setting at all. BUT if you present it this way you'll have my undivided attention. Still not sold on that world at all. Griffons, Minotaurs, etc, just not for me. Combat looks great though. Will check it out.

Death Stranding 2
I skipped the 1st one. Me and weird, no. But HOT DAMN that was an amazing trailer, and it sold me.

Then to find out Kojima is gonna go back to making a tactical action espionage game after DS2, TAKE MY MONEY NOW.

Edit:

Oh, I forgot to speak about Ronin. To be honest I'm disappointed in what I saw. From a game play perspective, yeah, combat looks buggy and I expect that to be fixed by release. I was really hoping this was going to be like Ghosts of Tsushima, and for the most part it is until they brought in that demon/zombie thing. With Nioh 1, 2, Wo Long, I'm at that tired phase where I'm like "alright TN. I acknowledge you are still king in combat, but can we move away from the demons/zombies this one game". Other than that I'm still looking forward to this game, but it did go down a bit on my list and my hype for it has been quelled a bit.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Concerning Rise of the Ronin, I'm also disappointed a bit but for different reasons than you. I'm really just sick of open worlds or long drawn-out campaigns at this point. The fact that it has supernatural elements in it is probably one of the few thongs that's a bit enticing to me because as usual Team Ninja likes to throw in lots of nutty nonsensical stuff just because it looks cool but that actually gives their games a unique charm to them at least.

I'd rather they just ditch RPGs all together at this point and just make a straight up action game because that's clearly what they're good at.

I recall you and Foggle not being into DMC5 because that style of game just wasn't your thing anymore. And that's absolutely fine. You want to know what I find so refreshing about it, though? It's that the game was made without giving a shit about catering to current norms or wanting to appeal to modern tastes. It was made as a game that an action game fan would enjoy first and foremost, and left it up to individual players whether they liked it or not. It didn't try to be for everyone, so in exchange for making a game that specialized in just being a great DMC game, it may have lost the interest of some people, but absolutely excelled at being an excellent action game for players like myself. It comits to what it is. In the same way, Ghosts of Tsushima honestly bored the shit out of me after just a few hours and realizing how razor thin the mechanics were, but the fact that it comits to what it is and you and so many others enjoy it so much is also great. Sucker punch set out to make a more cinematic Samurai game and comitted to that and it excelled for people who like those kinds of games. It's the reason Dragon's Dogma II looks so refreshing to me because it doesn't seem to care as much about catering to modern RPG trends but instead is doubling down on it's own unique sensiblities.

With Team Ninja, though, while I loved the two Nioh games, I got diminishing returns with FFSOP and Wo-Long, which were worse versions of Nioh with more streamlined combat to try and please more players, but it juse came off as that, a worse version of Nioh. I feel like even if Ronin will have better combat than average open world games, the other aspects will feel half-baked because it's not Team Ninja's specialty, and instead of an awesome game that focuses on core mechanics, it'll spread itself thin into a passable or slightly above average RPG with above average combat.

I have a similar problem with FF16 which I'm currently playing, which tries to marry DMC-style combat with RPG mechanics, but streamlines the combat too much that it can't support a 40+ hour game, but has RPG mechanics so thin that they might as well not exist.

That's why my favorite games from the past few years have been the smaller titles that are just focused on being what the smaller dev teams wanted to make, like Signalis, Tunic, and Hi-Fi Rush, among others.

Mustang

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on January 31, 2024, 08:37:29 PMI recall you and Foggle not being into DMC5 because that style of game just wasn't your thing anymore. And that's absolutely fine. You want to know what I find so refreshing about it, though? It's that the game was made without giving a shit about catering to current norms or wanting to appeal to modern tastes. It was made as a game that an action game fan would enjoy first and foremost, and left it up to individual players whether they liked it or not. It didn't try to be for everyone, so in exchange for making a game that specialized in just being a great DMC game, it may have lost the interest of some people, but absolutely excelled at being an excellent action game for players like myself. It comits to what it is. In the same way, Ghosts of Tsushima honestly bored the shit out of me after just a few hours and realizing how razor thin the mechanics were, but the fact that it comits to what it is and you and so many others enjoy it so much is also great. Sucker punch set out to make a more cinematic Samurai game and comitted to that and it excelled for people who like those kinds of games. It's the reason Dragon's Dogma II looks so refreshing to me because it doesn't seem to care as much about catering to modern RPG trends but instead is doubling down on it's own unique sensiblities.

I'm gonna home in this bit before anything else. All that could be true. Bigger picture though, because you're talking about a time when Capcom was rebounding towards CapGod status. The very first sentence of the bold part, I would certainly hope they weren't trying to appease to the modern crowd. DmC: Devil May Cry is the result of trying to cater to the "modern" crowd, so to me they had to win back the DMC crowd itself, and they did that with flying colors with DMC5, I'll say. I'm the anomaly here. Yes I like my combat. Yes I like open world. Yes I like change. Yes I like something new in my games (This year I've started appreciating the smaller games, especially with all the layoffs). But I also want the total package as well. If I can't get the total package am I gonna knock it? That depends on whats missing and what I'm getting in return. It's not that I don't like or can't get into the DMC games anymore (I kinda recall saying I can't, but I can't remember), but where my headspace is at now, it's more along the lines of DMC5's combat alone is just not enough to win me over.

I can't knock Square for trying something new with FF16, but I do want them to try again to see if they can nail it. I don't mind another Ghost of Tsushima (even though I don't need a sequel). My problem is when you start getting to that 3rd installment and beyond. If we make it to a 3rd Ghost or whatever and it's still doing the same thing the previous 2 games did I have a problem. DMC is 5 installments in. 2 of which is not acknowledged, and 5 is regaining trust. You lost me, but as I said, I'm the anomaly. If we get to a DMC6, fans will turn on it if it's the same as 5 because Capcom fans are very fickle (but this is the street fighter side of me talking now lol).

All that being said, I hear you loud and clear. I'll touch on the Dragon's Dogma stuff when I get home from work.

Edit: Back from work.

We talked about this at work as well. The bit I put in bold about the fans from me, I take that back. I don't know how modern fans are with replaying games (I know souls/borne is replayed a lot, but at the same time people are in a rush for the next thing as well, so yeah, I don't know), so I can't speak on that. That was definitely the street fighter side talking lol.

Dragon's Dogma 2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIgaL92F6QE

Hold up, re-watching it now, is this sum-bitch switching on the fly or is this just trailer tricks? Because at first I was just about to highlight the mage using ice and then running up that ice to attack. Little bits like that is what sells me, but if this character is switching classes (?) on the fly, WOOOOOOO!!!!

I know it's been done in DMC, Bayonetta, but when you don't expect it in certain kind of games. That speaks to me. That being said, I don't have any intent to go back and play the first one, and to reiterate, all the previous trailers shown for DD2, I was definitely out. The world itself I'm still not sold on, but considering I've given The Witcher 3 multiple tries (still failed, still might give it another try), it's only right that I give this a shot.

Edit:

Having re-watched Rise of the Ronin trailer again. Apparently it's not a demon/zombie. Just a very tall guy that moves awkwardly. Still disappointed with it looking like it should be on the PS4 though.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Mustang

So Rise of the Ronin impressions have been popping up, and most of the critiques I've been hearing is fair and warranted. The 1 and major problem I have with these impressions is that people were expecting some bombshell of a story. Blessing (Kinda Funny) said something along the lines of it being a Sony "exclusive" so they have Sony's backings and he was expecting more. Errr.... Okay. Andy Cortez (same, Kinda Funny) said because it was an exclusive he was expecting something along the lines of Ghost of Tsushima's story. He also admitted that his expectations were higher than they should've been, but still "Slow the hell down".

This is still Team Ninja/Koei Tecmo here. We're talking Ninja Gaiden/Dynasty Warriors. This is the reason why I cannot stand these Souls fans that think they're suddenly "GUD" (media-fans in general).

Damn Dynasty Warriors (you know I heart you Musou games, but move the fuck aside. A little riled up here). So now Team Ninja games that we've known and praised for its COMBAT for how many years now? 20+ years? Nioh 1, Nioh 2, Final Fantasy: Stranger of Paradise, Wo-Long, that's all within the last 5-7 years? WHEN THE HELL DID ANYBODY PRAISE THESE GAMES FOR THE STORY?! It blows my mind that people are expecting a bombastic story coming from this company because of it being a "SONY exclusive". Get that bullshit outta here.

Everything else I'm cool with. Skill Up (I just recently got into this youtube channel) had the better take out of the ones I've heard so far.

Despite the noise though, I'm still going to buy it regardless because I live in that AA/B-tier bubble. When I said I want to see how Team Ninja would handle open world, that's just what I meant. Am I expecting "greatness"? No, but I wanted to see them take a shot. If it don't workout, cool. Back to the drawing board.

It also blows my mind that these same media outlets that are expecting greatness at all times from AA-third party games, these very same people are the ones asking "what can be done about the AAA games costing too much to make/layoffs". Go figure.

Rise of the Ronin and Dragon's Dogma 2, I don't think either would be considered AAA, but you'd think these outlets would back these kinda games more. Neither are getting shafted, but weird talk about both is starting to trickle down the pipe.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

As far as Rise goes, I tend to trust FightinCowboy's impressions on these types of games, and after hearing his any enthusiasm I had for this game has died down considerably. The fact that the combat is a step back from Nioh yet again really kills my hype as that's the main thing that Team Ninja games have going fir them. I don't really get why, but it feels like SOP, WLFD, and now this game gave all been an attempt from Team Ninja to streamline their combat for wider appeal but to me that's totally going against their strengths. They don't have good enough stories and level design to entice less hard-core players to get into their games, so in this regard they are only serving to turn away some of their core player-base. I'll still probably try tgis game at some point, but Dragon's Dogma 2 is now much higher on my priority list.

Mustang

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 17, 2024, 09:10:58 AMI don't really get why, but it feels like SOP, WLFD, and now this game gave all been an attempt from Team Ninja to streamline their combat for wider appeal but to me that's totally going against their strengths. They don't have good enough stories and level design to entice less hard-core players to get into their games, so in this regard they are only serving to turn away some of their core player-base.

Yeah, this right here, I have no idea why Team Ninja is doing this. From a fighting game perspective, Capcom did great with Street Fighter 6 and Bandai did great with Tekken 8 but it make sense from a FG respective, but overall I don't like the idea of dumbing down combat in games. I will never like it. I'm all for trying to bring in more people but not at the cost of losing or cutting something from the core that made you, you in the first place.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think what makes it even more frustrating is that this is what Team Ninja already learned from making Ninja Gaiden 3, which I believe heavily influenced how they approached Nioh's development and leaned into their ability to craft excellent combat. It feels like they are repeating the same mistake again, albeit not nearly as bad as how the vanilla version of NG3 turned out, but still it's the same logic of streamlining things too much to the point of appealing to almost nobody instead of bringing in new fans.

Rynnec

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 17, 2024, 09:10:58 AMAs far as Rise goes, I tend to trust FightinCowboy's impressions on these types of games, and after hearing his any enthusiasm I had for this game has died down considerably. The fact that the combat is a step back from Nioh yet again really kills my hype as that's the main thing that Team Ninja games have going fir them. I don't really get why, but it feels like SOP, WLFD, and now this game gave all been an attempt from Team Ninja to streamline their combat for wider appeal but to me that's totally going against their strengths. They don't have good enough stories and level design to entice less hard-core players to get into their games, so in this regard they are only serving to turn away some of their core player-base. I'll still probably try tgis game at some point, but Dragon's Dogma 2 is now much higher on my priority list.

SOP's combat would be completely fine, great even...if it weren't for the stamina meter, at least going by the demo. I felt that really killed what depth it could've had by keeping in that Souls-style mechanic, that along with the loot system is why I've been hesitant to start the game proper. Haven't played Wo Long yet, but it is a shame to hear TN's recent output has been sub par as far as combat is concerned, since I really enjoyed the combat in Nioh 2.