Most Anticipated Video Games

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

YES THEY NEED TO MAKE THEIR OWN IP

I've wanted to see Retro do that for a decade. They're so talented, and as much as I love their Metroid and Donkey Kong games, I believe they have the stuff necessary to make a killer original product. :)

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 28, 2015, 05:38:15 PM
Update on Retro:

QuoteThe following info comes from Liam Robertson (Tamaki) from Unseen64...

- Retro Studios typically gets three chances to pitch a project to Nintendo

- if the concept isn't greenlit after the third attempt, they'll be assigned a project that NCL deems more likely to sell well

"I don't actually know what the project is, exactly, but I know that it is something that Retro themselves pitched. ... They came off of Tropical Freeze in very late 2013, I think it was, and they continued throughout 2014 pitching new projects. ... And then they eventually pitched a project that went through, and NCL greenlit, and I assume that's what they're doing now—by all accounts, it is.

I don't think Retro wants to do [Metroid Prime 4]. ... I'd be surprised if Retro themselves pitched [that]. I think they've had their fill of Metroid. ... And if it is Metroid, then it will be something different—like maybe a 2D one, or something—different from Prime.

I think they have the potential to work on multiple projects, but I feel like the money isn't there. People don't realize it, but Retro is one of the priciest studios for [Nintendo] to maintain, and I can't see them letting them do two projects at once. As far as I know, they have one NCL producer with them right now, and I couldn't see this person overseeing both of them; I think this person would be doing one.

... And you were saying, 'could it be an original property?' I think, actually, the time is now for Retro to do an original property. They've done two established Nintendo franchises, they've done Metroid and Donkey Kong, and I think now is the time to let them take hold of the reins a bit more for themselves and do that. And I think if it is something that they pitched themselves, then that does make it more likely that they pitched something original."
All that sounds like good news to me.

You didn't bold this part:

QuoteAnd if it is Metroid, then it will be something different—like maybe a 2D one, or something—different from Prime.

Seeing them do a 2D Metroid could be great.

gunswordfist

You would think Retro would be like WayForward and have their own IPs by now..
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Even WayForward has had a lot of problems making games with original IPs recently. They had to make a kickstarter just to get the new Shantae game, for instance.

Retro, on the other hand, has had a lot of turnover over the years. Almost no one there now was around when Metroid Prime first came out, for instance (which none of these obnoxious Prime fans seem aware of no matter how often it is brought up), and they had to scramble to understand 2D platformers with DKCR. They're not magicians, it takes time to create a game, never mind come up with a new IP.

As for what they're making, as long as it isn't Metroid Prime, I will be interested in it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I could watch these gifs all day.

Rynnec

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 28, 2015, 05:38:15 PM
Update on Retro:

QuoteThe following info comes from Liam Robertson (Tamaki) from Unseen64...

- Retro Studios typically gets three chances to pitch a project to Nintendo

- if the concept isn't greenlit after the third attempt, they'll be assigned a project that NCL deems more likely to sell well

"I don't actually know what the project is, exactly, but I know that it is something that Retro themselves pitched. ... They came off of Tropical Freeze in very late 2013, I think it was, and they continued throughout 2014 pitching new projects. ... And then they eventually pitched a project that went through, and NCL greenlit, and I assume that's what they're doing now—by all accounts, it is.

I don't think Retro wants to do [Metroid Prime 4]. ... I'd be surprised if Retro themselves pitched [that]. I think they've had their fill of Metroid. ... And if it is Metroid, then it will be something different—like maybe a 2D one, or something—different from Prime.

I think they have the potential to work on multiple projects, but I feel like the money isn't there. People don't realize it, but Retro is one of the priciest studios for [Nintendo] to maintain, and I can't see them letting them do two projects at once. As far as I know, they have one NCL producer with them right now, and I couldn't see this person overseeing both of them; I think this person would be doing one.

... And you were saying, 'could it be an original property?' I think, actually, the time is now for Retro to do an original property. They've done two established Nintendo franchises, they've done Metroid and Donkey Kong, and I think now is the time to let them take hold of the reins a bit more for themselves and do that. And I think if it is something that they pitched themselves, then that does make it more likely that they pitched something original."
All that sounds like good news to me.

The return of Raven Blade?

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on October 30, 2015, 02:28:14 AM
Spoiler

[close]

I could watch these gifs all day.
Oh, Based Platinum  :swoon: Also, I hear Transformers Devastation is great. Has anyone here played it?

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 30, 2015, 02:19:57 PM
Oh, Based Platinum  :swoon: Also, I hear Transformers Devastation is great. Has anyone here played it?
I've played a tiny bit of it. It's surprisingly excellent! I need to get into it soon. :)

gunswordfist

Seriously, PG is a godsend. I hope more and more developers are taking notice.

gunswordfist

Foggle

gunswordfist

Foggle

gunswordfist

Yes, I was impressed by the music as well.

Foggle

Quote from: http://www.classification.gov.au/Pages/View.aspx?sid=rq3o1%2bvToJ10DsvQBTdCEw%253d%253d&ncdctx=045pcNnoBtjCCTAFQiaXZg%252fBxNGMItwAbF2%252f166G4mlqawLmVA0tWHsHBG9lWpXUTEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: MUTANTS IN MANHATTAN(Multi Platform)
Classification    M         
Consumer Advice    Violence, online interactivity
Category    Computer Games
Version    ORIGINAL
Duration    0 Variable
Date of Classification    30 November 2015
Author    PLATINUMGAMES
Publisher    ACTIVISION PUBLISHING

WHAT :zonk: