Most Anticipated Video Games

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: Peanutbutter on December 07, 2015, 09:19:49 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 07, 2015, 07:05:29 AM
The FFVII remake actually looks really good. Pair it with XV and it might be the first time I've been interested in Final Fantasy for a loooonnng time.

Yeah, gameplay looks great. I have a feeling it will be good, unfortunately on another board I go to everyone's all cynical just because they announced it was going to be in multiple parts. I'm pretty sure all that means is they'll be in an episodic format like Life is Strange and TellTale's stuff, not to mention as gargantuan as FF 7's content was for its time it wasn't going to be possible for it to have a normal release.
That's not necessarily a good thing.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

The FFVII remake actually looks really good. Pair it with XV and it might be the first time I've been interested in Final Fantasy for a loooonnng time.

Yeah, gameplay looks great. I have a feeling it will be good, unfortunately on another board I go to everyone's all cynical just because they announced it was going to be in multiple parts. I'm pretty sure all that means is they'll be in an episodic format like Life is Strange and TellTale's stuff, not to mention as gargantuan as FF 7's content was for its time it wasn't going to be possible for it to have a normal release.
I was watching the trailer and the whole time watching that crazy amount of shine and polish while remembering the sheer scale of FFVII. If they want this out before 2020, they probably have to break it up this way.

Unless, of course they cut out the scale and scope and basically make it another Corridor Fantasy. Which no one who is a fan of the Pre-X games and don't care for the modern games (like me) wants. I want EVERYTHING. Wutai, Fort Condor, the special weapons, the Highwind... Without it you lose a lot of what made Square's RPGs so good. It's like imagining Chrono Trigger or FFVI without all the extras: they just add so much to the package.

I mean, look at XV. That's been in development for almost a decade. Even if VII is using that engine, does anyone really want to wait that long to get another game? No, this announcement makes total sense. If it's a choice between a $60 boxed game missing all the frills of FFVII or a set of $15-$20 episodes that includes everything and new content, then it's a no-brainer to me.

I'm just impressed at SE's returning ambition with FF with this and XV. It really feels like they're trying their best here and the FF series hasn't felt like that in a long time.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I want to wait. I'll be getting this after they hopefully have all of it on one disc. And I seriously doubt it'll be 20 bucks or less. lmfao at that price prediction.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on December 07, 2015, 09:45:03 PM
And I seriously doubt it'll be 20 bucks or less. lmfao at that price prediction.
For each episode.  :P

The original game wasn't on one disc either.  ;)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I know. I'm sure Square is going to charge 30 bucks or more for each episode.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: gunswordfist on December 07, 2015, 09:26:16 PM

But if all the parts have the gameplay we saw in that trailer, how is it a bad thing?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on December 07, 2015, 09:51:50 PM
I know. I'm sure Square is going to charge 30 bucks or more for each episode.
Now, that, is certainly possible.

We'll have to see just how much they're willing to push it for this game.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Peanutbutter on December 07, 2015, 09:52:44 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on December 07, 2015, 09:26:16 PM

But if all the parts have the gameplay we saw in that trailer, how is it a bad thing?
Gameplay is one thing, how they dissect the game is another.

Foggle

The entire reason it took Square this long to do an FF7 remake in the first place is because it would have cost too much. Making a game of that scale with the expected quality provided by today's AAA budgets is unprecedented and would likely bankrupt them if attempted in one go. It's almost certainly being released in episodes out of necessity rather than any sort of greed.

When it was released, FF7 was the most expensive game ever made, and it's still up there. This remake could easily cost five times that much to produce. The company responsible for Spirits Within is not going to stupidly dump all their money into a single project and hope it performs up to expectations ever again.

gunswordfist

Yeah, I now know that they can't make the game in one sitting but I'm still concerned about how well they'll do these episodes.

gunswordfist

Garou possibly coming to Steam? System Shock 3?! Damn, all these morning announcements..

Peanutbutter

Final Fantasy 7 Remake's episodes are apparently going to be.....the. LENGTH. OF. AN. ENITRE. GAME. EACH!!!!! :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G7bJynOMvk

Foggle

I'm not sure how much this will interest or matter to anyone else here, but I just recently (re)discovered the most amazing Source mod ever. I present to you: G String (don't laugh)!

After nearly 10 years of development - the majority of it by a single person - this free Half-Life 2 total conversion is almost ready to be released. It features more than 50 maps, 15 hours of gameplay, nothing but entirely new art assets (as far as I'm aware), great original music, non-terrible voice acting, space battles, and VR support. Yes, space battles and VR support on a game engine from 12 years ago - and one that has never attempted either function before, at that. Also, as far as I know, you don't actually need to own any Valve products to play it.

The game itself is reminiscent of what would happen if David Lynch directed Blade Runner. This doesn't come across so well in the screenshots and videos, but the beta from five years ago - while not particularly enjoyable, as it plays like a version of Half-Life 2 made by sadists - is one of the most intriguing art games I've ever seen. It's got a lot of problems, but most of them actually seem intentional, and it's generally just fucking bizarre in a cool way. I don't really recommend playing this iteration, though, as the finished version seems like it will feature the same brand of surrealism while also being genuinely fun.

This is probably one of the most impressive feats of game dev ever, no exaggeration. For a team consisting of one person and a few outside contributors to complete a project of this scope and ambition is practically unheard of. Even if it turns out to be disappointing, the dedication and originality behind this game are seriously inspiring, and that alone has made it one of my most anticipated titles of the year.

Quote from: gunswordfist on December 08, 2015, 11:52:59 AM
System Shock 3?!
Very exciting! They're also remaking System Shock, which is perhaps the best game that's basically unplayable by today's standards.

Spark Of Spirit

Nel_Annette

God, I hope so.

I've been hearing that as far as Paper Mario goes, Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam only makes references to Sticker Star, and ignores the first three games.  :bleh: