Most Anticipated Video Games

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on April 05, 2016, 08:02:45 PM
Alan Wake's gameplay was perfect and awesome and in no way flawed! :anger:

In all seriousness, though, it's one of my top five favorite games from last gen, so I like it more than almost everyone else. I'd actually argue that the gameplay is more refined than Max Payne, but I prefer Max Payne since it's more my preferred style of gameplay.
Ah, I didn't think it was bad! That farm level with the rock concert was my second favorite moment of last gen after Nier's Ending D. I can also see what you mean by it being more refined when I think about it. Very fun game(s), but I still have the most fun with the original Max Payne, which is just perfect. :D

QuoteThat's most Platinum games in a nutshell. :)

I also love Devil May Cry 3 despite being pretty short, as I've replayed it over a dozen times, and while Ninja Gaiden Black falls under the intermediate length of games (longer than 10 hours but under 20 on a first playthrough), it's significantly shorter on replays once you know what to do.
Short to me would be about 1-8 hours and medium would be around 8-20, with long being 20-40 and mind-numbing being 40+. This isn't to say that I don't enjoy any 40+ hour games (just last year I loved MGS5 and The Witcher, after all), but it's practically impossible for anything of that length to have any modicum of good pacing. And still I look forward to Final Fantasy 15...

Platinum games are wonderful because I can play them a million times and never get bored, even on the easier difficulty settings (well, maybe not the Automatic ones :P). I assume Nier Automata will be in the ballpark of 25 hours, which would make it both the longest (character action) Platinum release and the most replayable long game of all time!

Also,

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've always valued replay value over straight-up length, myself.

I've gotten hundreds of hours out of games like NGB, and Super Street Fighter IV has caused me to sink over a hundred hours OFFLINE just learning how to play each character in the Traning and Challenge modes.

Meanwhile, I can't even bother to finish some long games, such as Oblivion, which I had some fun with but ended up quitting long before it was over.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm still playing Super Mario Maker long after I thought the novelty would have worn off. Sometimes games surprise you with how fun they can be.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 05, 2016, 08:24:55 PM
I'm still playing Super Mario Maker long after I thought the novelty would have worn off. Sometimes games surprise you with how fun they can be.
Mario Maker never gets old! I think that falls into the same category as fighting and party games, though, in that it doesn't really have a set length. It's fun forever!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

NIOH is getting a limited-time alpha demo on the PS4 later this month: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz80GeslJSE

The game looks glorious in 60 FPS HD. It sucks that I probably won't get to try the demo, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that people like it. Despite all of the shit that I've given them in past years, I sincerely want Team Ninja to make good games again, and I believe that this could be a return to form.

The only thing in that trailer that irks me a little is the clear attempt to reach out to the Dark Souls market. Well, to be clear, it's not that I'm upset that KoeiTecmo is catering to that audience. That's only obvious. It's that they aren't even trying to differentiate this game with its own identity by using statements like "Ready to die?" That's a clear rip-off of "Prepare to die."

The gameplay looks great, though, and that's what matters the most. I just hope that it plays as well as it looks.

Foggle

Excited for that Ni-Oh demo!

So, a new Fear Effect has been announced. It's a sequel to the cancelled third game.

What a time to be alive.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 07, 2016, 10:30:40 AM
Didn't expect that.
Probably the most unexpected game announcement since the Nier sequel! Square Enix is on fire these days.

Apparently SE is also open to the idea of an outside studio coming in to finish Fear Effect Inferno. That would be so amazing!

gunswordfist

A sequel to a canceled sequel? That sounds legit interesting, no snark. May I ask what's the story behind Fear Effect Inferno?

Also, again, Square Enix has been on fire recently. While apparently they still aren't at Squaresoft's PS1 level (can't speak for Snes since I didn't know who they were back then  :D), they really are trying. They're probably the 2nd best publisher now.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

From what I can piece together, Fear Effect Inferno was about Hana getting captured by demons after the gang tried to pull a heist at some rich dude's mansion/penthouse suite/whatever. She then had to escape from a demonic hospital/portal to Hell while her girlfriend cheated on her with her best friend. Or something like that. Supposedly, the game was about 80% finished when it got cancelled in favor of pumping more money into Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness, bankrupting Kronos Digital Entertainment in the process (thanks Eidos!).

I'm hoping that the Kickstarter will include either a cutscene movie or novelization of Inferno as a stretch goal. And, of course, that we'll get to play a finished (or leaked) version of the actual game someday.

Peanutbutter

FEAR EFFECT IS BACK?!!! WHOOHOO!!!!!

I hope the canceled Inferno is finished and brought out first, but this is awesome! Still mad to this day at Eidos letting Kronos fold like they did. Hana and Rain are among the most sexiest video game characters of all time, and are both freaking amazing characters.

Square Enix have really redeemed themselves.

Foggle

Eidos had some of the greatest IPs of all time, but they were a garbage publisher through and through. Modern Square Enix is a much better home for their games.

Hana and Deke are some of my favorite video game characters, and the lore/mythology driving Fear Effect is absolutely brilliant. I do hope they give Deke a stronger Australian accent like he had in FE1 and the leaked Inferno videos, though - wasn't really a fan of his voice in the second game.

I'm sure we will see Inferno in some form, some day. There's no way this new studio would make a sequel to that game otherwise.

Hoping the next SE Collective announcement is Anachronox 2 by Tom Hall...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The Nioh alpha demo just dropped today. I'll see if I can convince my brother to let me download it on his PS4 and give it a try.

I've watched some YouTube videos of the gameplay. It generally looks pretty good. I've heard mixed things about it from people, though, but keep in mind that there's a lot of animosity from Souls fans who just label it as a cheap rip-off. On the flip side, I've heard people say that the game is a good challenge and that they like the combat much better than in the Souls games. Still, I'll have no idea if this game is any good or not unless I get to play it for myself.

gunswordfist

Lmao. There's nothing wrong with games that are clearly influenced by others. This would be what? The 5th Souls game? Overentitled gamers kill me.

Anyway, I hope it's good as well. Team Ninja being back on track would be great.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Hopefully I'll be able to try the demo within the next few days!

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 27, 2016, 12:20:21 PM
Lmao. There's nothing wrong with games that are clearly influenced by others. This would be what? The 5th Souls game?
6th if you count Bloodborne. 8th if you count Lords of the Fallen and Salt & Sanctuary. 9th if you count Slashy Souls...