Most Anticipated Video Games

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Final Fantasy XI is one of Square's most profitable games, though. Doing it with Dragon Quest only makes sense, even if I don't really have any interest in it.

Also, these things can change. DQIX was an action RPG before it was heavily retooled to what it currently is.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

October 12th

Finally, a date. Been wanting to play this for 15 years, and I'll finally have my chance next month.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Renegade Ops is looking particularly great.

Imagine Just Cause 2 meets Jackal meets the Strike series and you've got a good idea of what this game is. It also has both split screen AND online co-op which it seems even most retail games no longer support.

The commander is also Cortez from Timesplitters. So yeah, there's that too.

Foggle

Hard Reset demo just came out. I'll report back with my thoughts once I get a chance to play it.

Quote from: Desensitized on September 06, 2011, 05:08:12 PM
Renegade Ops is looking particularly great.

Imagine Just Cause 2 meets Jackal meets the Strike series and you've got a good idea of what this game is. It also has both split screen AND online co-op which it seems even most retail games no longer support.

The commander is also Cortez from Timesplitters. So yeah, there's that too.
Looks pretty cool; not really my kind of game, though. Hopefully they'll release a demo so I can see for myself if I find it fun, otherwise I'll just wait for a Steam sale.

Foggle

Hard Reset is officially FPS of the year. It's sooooo gooood and deliciously old-school. ;D

Foggle

Max Payne 3 trailer coming next week, box art out today. Earlier it was reported that the game would be out by March.

I don't know, man. I'm really excited for this game. After seeing that last batch of screenshots (the ones where Max had hair and his old clothes as well as the ones that were actually dark and gritty looking) and hearing that they changed their mind and decided to bring James McCaffrey back, I think it could be a great Max Payne game. If you can ignore the cover system entirely while playing and can quick save, that is. Oh, and if it still features painkillers (instead of regenerating health). Hopefully the PC version won't be a clusterfuck of a port (like Bully and GTA 4) or delayed/cancelled. :whuh:

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on September 09, 2011, 11:42:11 AM
Max Payne 3 trailer coming next week, box art out today. Earlier it was reported that the game would be out by March.

I don't know, man. I'm really excited for this game. After seeing that last batch of screenshots (the ones where Max had hair and his old clothes as well as the ones that were actually dark and gritty looking) and hearing that they changed their mind and decided to bring James McCaffrey back, I think it could be a great Max Payne game. If you can ignore the cover system entirely while playing and can quick save, that is. Oh, and if it still features painkillers (instead of regenerating health). Hopefully the PC version won't be a clusterfuck of a port (like Bully and GTA 4) or delayed/cancelled. :whuh:
What the hell at the boxart? And I'll try to ignore the cover system. So fucking stupid.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This reminds me that I really need to replay Max Payne 2 since I forgot most of the stuff pertaining to the story in that game.

It seems like this game has been in development for so long because Rockstar realized that they were initially going in the wrong direction with this series (story-wise, at least) with how they portrayed Max Payne before, and going by those screenshots it seems like they have managed to remedy (no pun intended) their past mistakes. In other words: now this actually looks like a Max Payne game.

I'm not thrilled about the cover system (there's nothing wrong with them, but I don't see how they belong in a Max Payne game, but who knows, maybe they'll be implemented with an interesting mechanic instead of purely just ripping off Gears of War's formula), but other than that I feel that this game has done a complete 180 from where it was originally headed, and I mean that in a sincerely good way. Now I'm actually pretty excited for this game, and I hope that the trailer next week reveals both a lot of good gameplay and story elements about the game. If Rockstar can nail the gun-play formula from the first 2 games down, while also adding in enough innovative changes to keep the game feeling fresh, and also wrap it up with a great story with clever writing and top-notch voice acting, than this may just become my most anticipated game of 2012.

Foggle

I actually like the box art. It's pretty cool, IMO. It'd be perfect if they removed the non-Max characters in the background, though.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 09, 2011, 09:37:18 PM
This reminds me that I really need to replay Max Payne 2 since I forgot most of the stuff pertaining to the story in that game.
You must! MP 1 gameplay > MP 2 gameplay, but MP 2 story > MP 1 story as far as I'm concerned. :)

QuoteI'm not thrilled about the cover system (there's nothing wrong with them, but I don't see how they belong in a Max Payne game, but who knows, maybe they'll be implemented with an interesting mechanic instead of purely just ripping off Gears of War's formula),
I read earlier today that painkillers are still in. Meaning that, unlike F.E.A.R. 3, the cover system probably won't be forced on the player. Unless they removed the ability to quick save (and they BETTER not have), I bet you'll be able to play the entire game like the first two. Those games were balls-to-the-wall hard on Normal difficulty, so this one should be doable on that mode at least even if the style's been changed to be cover-oriented.

Quotebut other than that I feel that this game has done a complete 180 from where it was originally headed, and I mean that in a sincerely good way. Now I'm actually pretty excited for this game, and I hope that the trailer next week reveals both a lot of good gameplay and story elements about the game. If Rockstar can nail the gun-play formula from the first 2 games down, while also adding in enough innovative changes to keep the game feeling fresh, and also wrap it up with a great story with clever writing and top-notch voice acting, than this may just become my most anticipated game of 2012.
Rockstar's writers are some of the best in the business. Nearly all of their games since Vice City have had excellent dialogue and voice acting. If anyone can make this work, it's them.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on September 10, 2011, 01:17:30 AM
You must! MP 1 gameplay > MP 2 gameplay, but MP 2 story > MP 1 story as far as I'm concerned. :)

Hmmmm....Well, I can't comment on it now since I don't remember the story well enough, but I actually felt the opposite. I felt that MP2's gameplay was slightly improved from the first game (that is to say that its basically the same exact formula except that its a bit more refined), but I felt that the story wasn't quite as good or impressive as the first game (it was still interesting, but it didn't really have as strong of an impact on me, personally). I may feel differently about it after replaying it, though.

QuoteI read earlier today that painkillers are still in. Meaning that, unlike F.E.A.R. 3, the cover system probably won't be forced on the player. Unless they removed the ability to quick save (and they BETTER not have), I bet you'll be able to play the entire game like the first two. Those games were balls-to-the-wall hard on Normal difficulty, so this one should be doable on that mode at least even if the style's been changed to be cover-oriented.

While I liked the convenience of the quick-save system, I do felt that it could potentially make the first 2 game's kind of easy if someone were to be cheap and spam quick-saves like they were save states. I suppose its fine to just leave it up to the player like the first 2 games, but I don't think I'd actually mind too much if the game just had checkpoints (that is unless they decided to really go all-out as developers and make the game non-linear, in which case it would need a quick-save feature to accompany it).

Rockstar's writers are some of the best in the business. Nearly all of their games since Vice City have had excellent dialogue and voice acting. If anyone can make this work, it's them.

Well, with Rockstar I can safely expect good voice-acting to come with any of their products. As for writing, I've always had mixed opinions with Rockstar. Some of their games have undeniably brilliant writing, even if I'm not necessarily a fan of all of their games (Vice City, Read Dead Redemption, GTA IV are good examples of this), whereas others are good but honestly kind of got boring for me (like San Andreas, among a few others). That said I think that now they seem to understand what fans want to see in a Max Payne game, so I'm sure that their writers will really deliver a worthy tale for the character that fits the dark and gritty nature of the MP crime drama type of story.

Spark Of Spirit

Would you say their writers are "Oscar worthy", Foggle?  ;)

... Man, I wish I could play Guardian Heroes.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Personally I think that the Oscars are crap to begin with, so I wouldn't actually view anything being called "Oscar-worthy" as a complement, even though its probably meant to be. That said, I laughed when IGN said that GTA IV's script was Oscar-worthy, on the basis that they were praising it like it was on the level of cinematic classics. While the writing for GTA IV I certainly very good by a video game's standards, its a far shot away from the level of high class films, IMO (not necessarily Oscar bait films, but just genuinely great films on their own merits). IGN has a tendency of overrating video game stories that just have nice presentation about them, even if they don't have the actual substance that should accompany a great story.

talonmalon333

Apparently One Piece is worthy of an Oscar. So they HAVE to be something good.

:sly:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

All that makes me think is what dumb-ass said OP is worthy of an Oscar? Depending on the context in which they said it in, that's either praising the series too much or being way too insulting to it (in a way its kind of doing both at the same time).

Spark Of Spirit

Sweet, there's a rumor that Sakurai is making Smash 3DS a "sequel" to Smash 64, a sort of "Super Smash Bros. 2" sort of deal.

I would not turn that down one bit. That would be perfect for a portable.