Most Anticipated Video Games

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Keanu Reeves showing up was the best part.

I really want Cyberpunk, that cute deer game, and the Star Wars thing. The rest, eh.

Mustang

Agreed, Keanu Reeves was definitely the best thing about this conference, but I have no interest in Cyberpunk at all.

For the most part I am curious about that Star Wars game, and I need to see more about Halo Infinite. The only game that got anything out of me was that Dragon Ball game. I'll look more into Phantasy Star Online 2 and that Tales game.

But yeah, honestly, I don't think this E3 will have anything to blow me away this year. I'm worried about that Avengers game being developed by Square and I'm starting to check out on FF7Remake.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Foggle

Cyberpunk for me hinges on what it plays like. If it's CD Projekt's take on Deus Ex, it will probably become one of my all-time favorite games. If it's just a flashy WRPG, I'll probably still like it, but my hype will instantly die.

All I need to be satisfied by this E3 is something new from Arkane, Shinji Mikami, and Yoko Taro. It's unlikely, but I can dream.

Oh yeah, I'm also excited for Outer Worlds. New Vegas in space! That pencil notebook adventure game looks neat too.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on June 09, 2019, 04:41:16 PMKeanu Reeves showing up was the best part.

I really want Cyberpunk, that cute deer game, and the Star Wars thing. The rest, eh.

Oh yeah, Keeanu showing up was neat. That said, I'm a tad skeptical on Cynerpunk 2077 due to being so cinematic in nature. I get that this is something that kind of needs to be done to show off to game journalists at a press conference, but this has kind of been the trend with most high-profile FPS games for the past decade or so, with occasional exceptions like 2016's DOOM.

I know that CD Projekt is a fan favorite developer due to The Witcher games and this is supposedly a more open-world FPS game, but I'll still need to see more gameplay before I can get excited for this project.

Foggle

I have faith in their storytelling capabilities because of the Witcher series, but yeah, I need to know what it plays like.

Rynnec

Tales of Arise and I guess Elden Ring look interesting, even though I'm not really interested in the direction and collaboration respectively.

Phantasy Star Online 2 coming to NA really took me by surprise. I'll try to check it out when it drops, but I really don't know if I'll be able to commit to it.

Quote from: Foggle on June 09, 2019, 04:41:16 PM

Quote from: Mustang on June 09, 2019, 04:53:32 PM
Agreed, Keanu Reeves was definitely the best thing about this conference, but I have no interest in Cyberpunk at all.

For the most part I am curious about that Star Wars game, and I need to see more about Halo Infinite. The only game that got anything out of me was that Dragon Ball game. I'll look more into Phantasy Star Online 2 and that Tales game.

But yeah, honestly, I don't think this E3 will have anything to blow me away this year. I'm worried about that Avengers game being developed by Square and I'm starting to check out on FF7Remake.

I want to be excited for Star Wars, but the combat looks underwhelming and the main character and his design is killing off any hype I had.

Most of the other stuff I'm interested in are games that have already long been announced like Doom Eternal, so unless the next Smash Bros. character blows everyone away, I guess this is the high point as far as announcements go.

Mustang

Quote from: Rynnec on June 09, 2019, 05:56:44 PM

Quote from: Mustang on June 09, 2019, 04:53:32 PM

I want to be excited for Star Wars, but the combat looks underwhelming and the main character and his design is killing off any hype I had.

Most of the other stuff I'm interested in are games that have already long been announced like Doom Eternal, so unless the next Smash Bros. character blows everyone away, I guess this is the high point as far as announcements go.

"Cautiously curious" should've been what I should have said for the exact same reasons you stated. The design of the main character is not good in my eyes, but I'm hoping he'll go through some form of change. Truthfully, I'm only interested because it's a single player action game. I trust nothing EA does and I have no interest in Star Wars, but I just imagine what the right developer can do with a Star Wars action-y game.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, not going to lie, I'm not interested in the Uncharted version of Star Wars. Just not my type of action game, though I'm genuinely happy for everyone else who are excited for a good Star Wars game.

At this point I just want to see if that new Avengers game will shape up to be anything interesting, and hopefully get to see some Bayonetta 3 gameplay from Nintendo. Otherwise, I don't really have much investment in this E3 since most of the games being showcased are just things that I don't care about.

I am interested in Elden Ring if only because I'm not entirely burned out on Souls games since I never played Demon's Souls, never finished Dark Souls (not out of a lack of wanting to, but because circumstances made me take a break from gaming for almost an entire year), never played either of the sequels, and have thus only completed Blooborne and am a little more than halfway through Sekiro. Truth be told, I'm not interested in going back into Dark Souls at this point (though I may at least go back and start the first one from scratch to see it all the way through), but I love Bloodborne which I'd consider to be one of the best games of the generation, and Sekiro, while not quite as masterful as Bloodborne, is easily better than 99% of other high-profile titles that come out these days (I'll certainly take it over Dad of War or another mediocre Spider-Man game/Arkham clone). I'd say that Miyazaki has arguably improved as a head game developer over the years, or at least moved more toward my personal preferences in action RPGs. He's also moved more and more away from the typical Souls formula over time. Like, you guys do know that Sekiro doesn't even have a stamina meter, right? That said, I'd need to see some gameplay of Elden Ring before I'm actually won over.

At this point, though, it looks like I'll need to wait for Itsuno to either announce Devil May Cry 6 or Dragon's Dogma 2 in order for there to be a game that I'm truly hyped about. I don't know if I've just become more jaded these days, or if my tastes have become too narrow, but I just can't muster up any joy or excitement for any major releases that get announced these days other than the occasional fighting game. It just feels like gaming has completely moved in a direction that favors trying to cater a relatively decent product to everyone rather than several very different games that each focus on core niches of the market and excel in those particular areas.

Foggle

Bethesda's conference sucked shit BUT Shinji Mikami showed up to announce Tango's new game, which is directed by his protege Ikumi Nakamura. She did the concept art for The Evil Within, which was absolutely fucking bonkers. Ghostwire: Tokyo! It's gonna be good as hell I bet.

Arkane also showed up and announced Deathloop, which looks like Blaxploitation Dishonored. I can dig it.

Wolfenstein: Youngblood still looks great and Doom Eternal looks like pure sex. Inject that shit into my veins right now.

Mustang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5WYqKGFhok

The game play is nice, but when I actually listened to the Q&A, it bothered me quite a bit. Almost to the point where I'm like forget your game now. Like yo, I've played many rehashed stories of DBZ and you can't answer a question revolving around the story? If it's mainly revolving around Z specifically who is it gonna hurt to give an answer on if you're going past the Frieza saga? It's fine if you're not going to include Super, but to act like we haven't seen the story told so many times by now, are you serious? I might be over reacting but considering E3 has been shit and I haven't gotten a lot of sleep you can forgive me this one time.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So Laura Bailey is voicing Black Widow after voicing Mary Jane in last year's Spider-Man game? Damn, she's come a long way since Keiko Yukimura and Kid Trunks.

Foggle

Damn that Avengers game looks ass...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I mean, it looks about what I expected for a modern big-budget action game title made by a western developer. That's pretty much the same way I felt about Marvel's Spider-Man by Insomniac when it was revealed a couple of E3's ago and tried way too hard to look ultra cinematic.

Foggle

I dunno, Spider-Man games have an expectation of fun traversal with the whole web-swinging aspect and Insomniac is really good at that so I guess I just assumed it would be fun from the get-go. The five seconds of gameplay in the Avengers trailer looked like a licensed game from a decade ago mixed with Uncharted and horrible character redesigns.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on June 10, 2019, 09:31:44 PMI dunno, Spider-Man games have an expectation of fun traversal with the whole web-swinging aspect and Insomniac is really good at that so I guess I just assumed it would be fun from the get-go. The five seconds of gameplay in the Avengers trailer looked like a licensed game from a decade ago mixed with Uncharted and horrible character redesigns.

You mean that QTE-infested Arkham clone showcase from two years ago? Eh, agree to disagree there. That looked boring as fuck and I have no idea why anyone got excited by that footage. The actual game was more entertaining, but honestly got so boring and repetitive well before it was all over. Maybe I'm just a bit too harsh and cynical when it comes to modern western AAA games, but that's just how I honestly feel about it. On that end, the new Avengers game pretty much looks the same in that regard in that it barely actually showcases any actual gameplay other than a brief few seconds of combat for each character. I'm not expecting it to really be any more engaging with a full gameplay reveal, but it's also at this point kind of what I expect these days.