Most Anticipated Video Games

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

I would normally agree with you, but I think Prey 2 looks a lot better than the first one. Prey was pretty mediocre IMO.

Spark Of Spirit

It's not even like Fighting Force was a particularly great game or anything... but it was miles above FF2. I don't even know what they were trying to pull with that one. Turning a decent beat em up into a terrible shooter? Yeah, because we sure haven't gotten enough shooters in the last 3 gens.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on February 23, 2012, 07:53:02 PM
I would normally agree with you, but I think Prey 2 looks a lot better than the first one. Prey was pretty mediocre IMO.
I had the game and it was and Prey 2 does look much better but they could have just made a new IP. I still think they should make a Prey game that uses the full potential of having a shooter with wall walking and portals.
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 23, 2012, 07:56:25 PM
It's not even like Fighting Force was a particularly great game or anything... but it was miles above FF2. I don't even know what they were trying to pull with that one. Turning a decent beat em up into a terrible shooter? Yeah, because we sure haven't gotten enough shooters in the last 3 gens.
Actually the PS1 didn't have that many shooters. Still much less the amount of good 3D beat em ups they had. And I enjoyed Fighting Force 2.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Heh, Fighting Force, that brings back memories. Its an extremely derivative beat-em-up game but it was still kind of fun and my brother and I played through the entire game on co-op in one sitting which was pretty fun. Well, I do recall it getting REALLY cheap towards the end (the last 3rd of the game had some really BS enemies, from what I remember), so we used cheats to beat the last couple of levels. Still, it was a decent game for its time. I doubt it has aged well at all, though.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 23, 2012, 10:16:50 PM
Heh, Fighting Force, that brings back memories. Its an extremely derivative beat-em-up game but it was still kind of fun and my brother and I played through the entire game on co-op in one sitting which was pretty fun. Well, I do recall it getting REALLY cheap towards the end (the last 3rd of the game had some really BS enemies, from what I remember), so we used cheats to beat the last couple of levels. Still, it was a decent game for its time. I doubt it has aged well at all, though.
I agree. I mostly like it because it was one of the few beat em ups that gen and it had "cool 3D!" and whatnot. I'm sure it isn't that great now, but it was a surprise at the time, especially considering how well it sold despite all the reviews hating it.

The sequel being a shooter was just a kick in the balls.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

PC version yay!

...Damn, I never realized how much Killer7 and No More Heroes 1 look like Dreamcast games! Dem graphics.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on February 28, 2012, 10:03:15 AM
PC version yay!

...Damn, I never realized how much Killer7 and No More Heroes 1 look like Dreamcast games! Dem graphics.
Dreamcast graphics > all last gen graphics.

Seriously, every Dreamcast game is so stylized and great looking even now and most run at stable framerates with no technical issues. And most DC to PS2 ports tend to run WAY worse for whatever reason. But I think the best part is the PS1/N64 ports that are easily the best versions of the games. I'd love to see how the Soul Reaver port fares, for instance.

Heck, Sonic Adventure looks better on the Dreamcast than it does on the Gamecube.

Spark Of Spirit

The 999 sequel has been announced for 3DS/Vita release here and is called "Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward", it will also have dual language. This game also apparently has 23 different endings and tons of branching paths, building on the prequel.

It reminds me a lot of Higurashi story-wise, but I think 999 might have the stronger narrative. And so far, it doesn't seem like Zero Escape is an Umineko type sequel, so I can only hope it stays that way when I play it.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 28, 2012, 09:03:13 PM
It reminds me a lot of Higurashi story-wise, but I think 999 might have the stronger narrative.
If we're talking purely about quality of writing here, 999 wins and I've never even read it. Ryukishi's prose is trash. Better than Nasu's, but that isn't really saying much.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on February 28, 2012, 09:15:34 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 28, 2012, 09:03:13 PM
It reminds me a lot of Higurashi story-wise, but I think 999 might have the stronger narrative.
If we're talking purely about quality of writing here, 999 wins and I've never even read it. Ryukishi's prose is trash. Better than Nasu's, but that isn't really saying much.
Its hard to tell through translation, but there's a lot of subtlety in character interaction and dialogue, and its really engaging to play through. If you have a DS and like a Higurashi-type story, you should totally play it. The mystery is very well done and the true ending is really worth it all.

Spark Of Spirit

Perfect Dark 2 is rumored again.

If it turns out to be fake again I'm going to find everyone in Rare and fry them alive.  :bleh:

Foggle

I'd rather that rumor be untrue, actually. "Rare" is now Rareware in name only and has been for years. A Perfect Dark 2 would likely end up being just as bad as Perfect Dark Zero and Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts And Bolts, if not worse.

Spark Of Spirit

Well, I'm just hoping that if its true Rare will have gotten their heads together this time as they KNOW what people hated in PD0.

Also, Nuts n Bolts may not be a platformer, but it is a good game for what it is. If they focus on what made PD64 so good in the first place instead of "fixing it" like they tried with PD0 we could get a good game out of it.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 02, 2012, 07:16:17 PM
Also, Nuts n Bolts may not be a platformer, but it is a good game for what it is.
I know, but it still hurts my soul a little bit every time I think about that game. :cry:

Foggle