Most Anticipated Video Games

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Rynnec on April 10, 2012, 04:32:39 PM
I was always under the impression that the N64 version would be the worst incarnation of 2 (for obvious reasons).
Ah, yes, you're right there. I forgot about that one. :P

Rynnec

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 10, 2012, 11:43:19 AM
Here is a short combat walkthrough for DmC.

I'll say that, while I'd still much rather have DMC5 rather than this reboot, the game is shaping up to be better than I initially expected, and while I doubt it'll compare to either DMC1 or 3 in terms of quality, I think this may end up at least being a good action game in its own right. I can already say that its going to be FAR better than Ninja Gaiden 3, if nothing else. At least this game already has at least 3 weapons going for it and in the video it was confirmed that there would be more (which actually puts this game's Dante above DMC4's Dante in terms of his melee weapon count). That said, the actual depth of the weapons and combat system still remains to be seen, but it does at least look competent if nothing else. My only major grip here is that it looks WAY too easy to chain together combos in this game. That is to say, it looks like you can just button-mash your way into performing slick combos rather than having to have at least some level of practice with the general mechanics and timing of the combat systems of previous DMC games to be able to pull off cool combos and chain them for long periods of time. Perhaps this game will have harder difficulties that punish button-mashers, though.

Anyways, I'll keep this game on my radar and see how it turns out. If nothing else it at least looks really good visually, and while I don't really care about graphics I like its environments and broad use of its color-palette (which most games severely lack this gen).

Quote from: FoggleLooks less fun than 1, 3, and 4, but I certainly enjoyed that footage more than anything from DMC 2, NG 3, GoW, etc.

Agreed. If it weren't for the fact that this was supposed to be Devil May Cry, and that guy wasn't meant to be Dante, then I'd actually think it something of a decent game.

Donte's still a douche however. No Tam Tam, throwing some random dude's food off his hand for no reason doesn't make someone "cool", it just makes them a prick.

Spark Of Spirit

Though I posted a chunk of this in another thread, here's some info on the Wii-U version of Aliens: Colonial Marines.

QuoteWe learned two very interesting things about Aliens: Colonial Marines at this weekend?s PAX East.

One, the Sega-published shooter has been inducted into the ?official canon? of the Alien universe by 20th Century Fox. Chris Faylor, the Community Manager for developer Gearbox Software, told us that all previous expanded universe material (including the novels, the comics, and all the Alien vs Predator stuff) has been thrown out. The only productions currently considered canon are the first four films (yes, even Alien 3), Aliens: Colonial Marines, and maybe Ridley Scott?s Prometheus (since there?s still the possibility it?s not a prequel).

We also chatted with Matt Powers, a Senior Producer on the game for Sega, about the Wii U version of the game. Powers initially referred to the game as ?the Wii U port? and Faylor rushed back over to scold him, telling us: ?I hate that word. The Wii U version is not a port. Remove it from your vocabulary.?

After that rather tense exchange, we tried to get Powers to talk more about how the Wii U controller would come into play. With the Community Manager standing over his shoulder, he would only say that ?there are interesting things you can do with the Wii U controller? and ?for an Aliens game, you can probably guess what some of those things are.?

For the non-diehards in the audience, Powers was (wink, wink) likely referring to the famous radar display Sigourney Weaver, Michael Biehn, and the rest of the Colonial Marines used to track the xenomorphs in the film.
Looks like it's being built ground up for the system. I'm surprised it's not just an up-port.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I don't think Gearbox does ports anymore. They seem to give every platform the attention it deserves these days.

Spark Of Spirit

Rumor of the Wii-U's final power level:

QuoteSPEAKING OF WHICH THIS IS INFORMED SPECULATION BASED ON WHAT I HAVE HEARD DEVELOPERS TALKING ABOUT LATELY

DO NOT TAKE THIS AS FACT AND DO NOT START CHICKEN LITTLEING BECAUSE OF THIS POST. EVEN IF EVERYTHING I HAVE HEARD IS 100% ACCURATE, THERE COULD BE REASONS IT WILL NOT HOLD TRUE FOREVER.

I'll say that you should not expect the moon with the Wii U.

Everything I have been told is "best of the current generation by a country mile but not significantly beyond that."

It is the XBox to the PS2. The Gamegear to the Gameboy. The Mad Men Alison Brie to Community's Alison Brie. It'll look better, but generational transition probably won't apply to it.

On the plus side, there will probably be nothing hardware-wise stopping downgraded ports from what people think the new XBox will offer. We're talking, like, Witcher 2 on high settings vs. Witcher 2 on low settings. Same game, same basic idea, different graphics.

But games that do take advantage of the Wii U's hardware are going to blow this current gen out of the water.
I am not sure we'll see that at E3 (seriously, think back to nearly every console's launch, most of those titles don't stand up today), but I'm sure we'll see it eventually.
That's pretty much exactly what I was hoping for.

Edit: He also added:

QuoteDreamcast to N64 might be a better comparison?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

I don't know what people expect from Nintendo, really. They live by the sword, and they die by the sword. Their business plan hasn't changed a whole lot since the N64 days, and I don't know why people are so pent on that to differ with each new generation.

I believe this old quote from Miyamoto (in discussion to the Wii's lack of power compared to its competition) sums it up best:

QuoteToo many powerful consoles can't coexist. It's like having only ferocious dinosaurs. They might fight and hasten their own extinction.

Personally, I don't care. As long as the games are good, technical specifications, quote unquote "power" and all the other bells and whistles really don't mean a damn to me.

Foggle

Sounds good to me. Wii-U for console-only games and PC for the rest seems like a perfect fit for next gen (Platinum and Grasshopper, PLEASE put your games on one of those!). ;) Seriously done with Microsoft and Sony, and it would take a fucking Ratchet & Clank/Yakuza crossover to convince me otherwise.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Foggle on April 11, 2012, 01:12:24 AM
Sounds good to me. Wii-U for console-only games and PC for the rest seems like a perfect fit for next gen (Platinum and Grasshopper, PLEASE put your games on it!). ;) Seriously done with Microsoft and Sony, and it would take a fucking Ratchet & Clank/Yakuza crossover to convince me otherwise.

I feel the same way. Screw Sony and Microsoft, none of their original titles have been interesting me for the last few years.

Spark Of Spirit

All I wanted for the Wii-U was the possibility that the next Xbox and Playstation third party games will make the console, since I already knew I wanted the Nintendo games.

Because I'm pretty set with Microsoft first party games (I'm pretty good with stopping at Reach with Halo), and the PS3 gave me enough of Sony's first party exclusives that I'm not really looking for more. Besides, they'll probably drop them all for next gen anyway... And with Insomniac going third party, the next Ratchet game will probably be done be one of Sony's B-teams.

Graphics mean very little to me anymore. As I've said 100 times, the PS2 was already good enough for me graphic-wise. Heck, so was the Dreamcast.

Foggle

I love me some beautiful graphics, but they aren't really important. Art style is far more important than technical proficiency. Seriously, Deus Ex 3 was beautiful and it had early PS3-level graphics.

But I definitely don't mind dem polygons when they're a part of great games. Witcher 2 and Colonial Marines? Devil May Cry 4 on PC? Boner-tastic.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Add me to the list of people who pretty much no longer cares for either Sony or Microsoft. Nintendo will at least deliver on great first-party single-player experiences, and that's all I really want, to be honest (some good third-party support couldn't hurt though, of course). With Sony, I've never been that interesting in most of their games, and what is appealing to me on there isn't really enough to get me to fork over hundreds of dollars for a PS3. On the other hand, the last Microsoft exclusive game that I played and thought was great was Halo: Reach. After reading about how Halo 4 is basically set to become yet another Call of Duty clone (except in space), which is pretty much what I was expecting, I can safely say that I'm done with the series, and Microsoft has nothing else to offer me that's of any interest. Perhaps the next Alan Wake will be good, but having only 1 good first-party game to look forward to is hardly enough reason for me to get their next console.

So, yeah, Nintendo seems to be the only gaming company that still remembers the fundamentals of what gamers really want. I have no idea what the WiiU is getting so much heat from game journalists, but I've realized that 90% of game journalists and editors are full of shit and support the exact types of changes in gaming that I can't stand, so I take anything they say with a grain of salt.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 11, 2012, 01:24:09 AM
Perhaps the next Alan Wake will be good, but having only 1 good first-party game to look forward to is hardly enough reason for me to get their next console.
If you become part of the Wii-U/PC master race, you'll still get to play the Alan Wake sequels... eventually. ;)

Spark Of Spirit

Foggle

Quoteannual loss of $6.4bn
Holy fuck. :zonk:

Kiddington