Most Anticipated Video Games

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I wouldn't mind seeing him in the game. I just doubt we'd see him in before those 4.

Actually, do we have a Smash thread? If not we should make one.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 28, 2012, 08:19:40 PM
Actually, I also want more simple stages like 64 had, as well. A good chunk of Melee's were terrible, and about a third of Brawl's are infuriating gimmick levels (though at least they brought the best Melee levels over), and some are just too big. I don't know about you guys but New Pork City and The Temple are not very fun levels.

Just curious, but which stages in Melee did you think were terrible?

I liked most of them myself, but I do have my opinions on a couple I could do without (Brinstar Depths, ahem ahem).

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Kiddington on April 28, 2012, 08:43:05 PM
Actually, I also want more simple stages like 64 had, as well. A good chunk of Melee's were terrible, and about a third of Brawl's are infuriating gimmick levels (though at least they brought the best Melee levels over), and some are just too big. I don't know about you guys but New Pork City and The Temple are not very fun levels.

I liked most of them myself, but I do have my opinions on a couple I could do without (Brinstar Depths, ahem ahem).
You mentioned one of them.

But I haven't played the game in years, so I have to go off memory. The Yoshi stage was pretty boring with a bad art style (Yoshi Story has terrible art), the Majora's Mask stage was dull, the DK levels were the worst in the game, Pokefloats is so lazy, Icicle Mountain..., Peach's Castle is nowhere near as good as the one in SB64, Venom is terrible, Temple is too big, Corneria is a rehash of sector Y, and the rest are more or less okay.

The only Melee stages I really liked (that were not in SB64) were Big Blue (Mach Rider theme!), Onett, Yoshi's Island, Rainbow Cruise, Green Greens, Fourside, and the Mushroom Kingdom levels. Ironically, every level competitive Smash players detest. (But I main Ness and Kirby, so I have legitimate gripes with Melee)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 28, 2012, 08:53:46 PM

But I haven't played the game in years, so I have to go off memory. The Yoshi stage was pretty boring with a bad art style (Yoshi Story has terrible art), the Majora's Mask stage was dull, the DK levels were the worst in the game, Pokefloats is so lazy, Icicle Mountain..., Peach's Castle is nowhere near as good as the one in SB64, Venom is terrible, Temple is too big, Corneria is a rehash of sector Y, and the rest are more or less okay.

The only Melee stages I really liked (that were not in SB64) were Big Blue (Mach Rider theme!), Onett, Yoshi's Island, Rainbow Cruise, Green Greens, Fourside, and the Mushroom Kingdom levels. Ironically, every level competitive Smash players detest. (But I main Ness and Kirby, so I have legitimate gripes with Melee)

Well, the Yoshi's Story stage was a transfer from SB64, so that's not entirely on Melee.  :sly:

I do agree with some of those, though. Poke Floats was awful, the DK levels were really bland and hard to work with (way too many pitfalls in Jungle Japes)... yeah, you see what I mean. Although I still think you underrate Melee a little too much, I'll admit that it does have its faults. And, you know how it goes; different strokes for different folks, and such.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Kiddington on April 28, 2012, 09:01:17 PM

Well, the Yoshi's Story stage was a transfer from SB64, so that's not entirely on Melee.  :sly:

I do agree with some of those, though. Poke Floats was awful, the DK levels were really bland and hard to work with (way too many pitfalls in Jungle Japes)... yeah, you see what I mean. Although I still think you underrate Melee a little too much, I'll admit that it does have its faults. And, you know how it goes; different strokes for different folks, and such.
No, the Melee Yoshi Story is a different stage from the 64 one. They both have horrible, horrible art, though.

Yeah, I do underrate the game. Because the characters I play as suffer too much. I have to work too hard to win in Melee, as my characters are not on an equal playing field with others. It's not worth the hassle to learn when I play the game casually.

Pikachu, Ness, and Kirby were destroyed in Melee.

Kiddington

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 28, 2012, 09:04:34 PM

No, the Melee Yoshi Story is a different stage from the 64 one. They both have horrible, horrible art, though.

Wait, how is the Melee Yoshi's Story any different from 64? We're talking about the stage with the orange-sky background, right?

Honestly, it's been ages since I've played 64, so maybe I'm not remembering this right.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Kiddington on April 28, 2012, 09:06:43 PM

Wait, how is any it different? We're talking about the one with the orange-sky background, right?

Honestly, it's been ages since I've played 64, so maybe I'm not remembering this right.
SSB64:

Melee:

It doesn't even have the cool cloud platforms.

Rynnec

I don't mind Brinstar Depths and can tolerate Jungle Japes, and Pokefloats is just plain fun to me. I agree with the Yoshi's Story stage (the Super Mario World stage is also pretty "meh", but it did lead to that one infamous video).

Yeah, I do underrate the game. Because the characters I play as suffer too much. I have to work too hard to win in Melee, as my characters are not on an equal playing field with others. It's not worth the hassle to learn when I play the game casually.

I miss mah Mewtwo. :'(

Spark Of Spirit

I like the Yoshi Island level (the Super Mario World one) just because of how chaoitc ground fights get. Also, the music is awesome.

Quote from: Rynnec on April 28, 2012, 09:09:54 PM
I don't mind Brinstar Depths and can tolerate Jungle Japes, and Pokefloats is just plain fun to me. I agree with the Yoshi's Story stage (the Super Mario World stage is also pretty "meh", but it did lead to that one infamous video).

I miss mah Mewtwo. :'(
He'll be back.  :) He was going to be in Brawl but didn't make it in with a few other characters, IIRC.

Kiddington

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 28, 2012, 09:09:02 PM
Quote from: Kiddington on April 28, 2012, 09:06:43 PM

Wait, how is any it different? We're talking about the one with the orange-sky background, right?

SSB64:

Melee:

It doesn't even have the cool cloud platforms.

Oh wow, I completely forgot about that second Yoshi stage. Guess it shows I haven't played Melee in ages, either.  :humhumhum:

...yeah, I didn't care for that one either.

Spark Of Spirit

All that Yoshi Story garbage in the first two games prevented me from seeing some actual Yoshi's Island material. Thankfully Brawl gave us a great level based on it and this to play on it...

I don't main Yoshi or anything, but he got some great material in Brawl.

Spark Of Spirit

In other news, this comment on that Ubisoft Wii-U launch game "Killer Freaks From Outer Space" is interesting:

QuoteI'm rooting for Killer Freaks to be great. I love how in a time when every shooter is following Call of Duty, it's looking to Duke Nukem 3D. It has all the essential ingredients: one-liner spouting protagonist taking back his city from aliens, destructible environments and hidden passageways, hip shooting only with no iron sights, a jetpack, and a gun that looks and appears to function very much like Duke 3D's RPG. Hopefully it will be closer to what everyone was hoping for from DNF.
The RTS vs FPS local multiplayer is also very cool.
I hope the Red Steel 2 team is behind it. (Thankfully the RS1 team has long since been disbanded) This has potential.

Foggle

Sounds like Serious Sam 3.

This can only end well. Hopefully they release a PC version too.

Spark Of Spirit

Some potentially bad Sega-related news. Sorry, Foggle.

It would definitely be a result of Sega's restructuring if true.

Foggle

Expected to see no English translation for Yakuza 5. Got something much worse.

I actually let out a Darth Vader "NOOOOOOO!" after I read that. Very sad now.