Most Anticipated Video Games

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 06, 2012, 10:08:42 PM
The rumored target PS4 specs are not that much higher to the Wii-U.
Sounds like Sony is learning.

Also sounds like I won't have to upgrade my PC again for another five years.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Its very possible that Microsoft may be the last one of the big 3 console market competitors to release a new next-gen console. They seem to want to wait and see what Nintendo and Sony do first, which is a risky strategy since they could also be risking coming into the market too late if that's the case. Though, then again, that's only a major problem if they release a console close to the end of the next-gen's life-span, which I don't believe will happen (that's pretty much what happened with the Dreamcast, and I think it had to do with it falling short after the PS2 was released).

Spark Of Spirit

Microsoft is definitely being really careful here. Nintendo already has a year (at the very least) head start over the other two. Sony needs to keep it down in order to survive (so they might be secretly thankful Nintendo did what they did) and be in line with the competition.

Microsoft needs to be in the ballpark as the other two and it needs to come out around the same time as Sony's does. Nintendo will already have a year head start, if they remember the 360 (and if they're a competent company-they will) they know how much a head start benefits you. They can't let Sony or Nintendo get too much over them, and they can't have a PS3-type situation and lose the Kinect audience.

I do think Microsoft is going to be really cocky like Nintendo with the N64 and Sony with the PS3. I totally see them making certain decisions that will lose a large chunk of their audience by focusing on the wrong aspects of what people liked about them.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I most liked Microsoft toward the end of the XBOX's life cycle and the beginning of the XBOX360's, since during that period I got the sense that they were REALLY putting forth a lot of genuine effort to try and market really good game for either XBOX, and for the most part their entire focus was on the games, not on multimedia or peripherals (that's the mistake that Sony made with the PS3). However, after 2008 Microsoft seemed to be heading that route, themselves, and that's when they started to go downhill for me. By 2010's E3 press conference, they had already become exactly what I hate about modern gaming in general. Its more about EVERYTHING....except for the games.

Rynnec

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 06, 2012, 10:37:32 PM
Microsoft is definitely being really careful here. Nintendo already has a year (at the very least) head start over the other two. Sony needs to keep it down in order to survive (so they might be secretly thankful Nintendo did what they did) and be in line with the competition.

Microsoft needs to be in the ballpark as the other two and it needs to come out around the same time as Sony's does. Nintendo will already have a year head start, if they remember the 360 (and if they're a competent company-they will) they know how much a head start benefits you. They can't let Sony or Nintendo get too much over them, and they can't have a PS3-type situation and lose the Kinect audience.

I do think Microsoft is going to be really cocky like Nintendo with the N64 and Sony with the PS3. I totally see them making certain decisions that will lose a large chunk of their audience by focusing on the wrong aspects of what people liked about them.

It really does seem like a companies worst performing system is the one that gets released whenever said company is getting particularly cocky. Not only did it happen with the N64 and PS3, like you said, but it also happened with the Sega Saturn (and the other various add-ons to the Genesis).

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on May 06, 2012, 11:33:13 PM

It really does seem like a companies worst performing system is the one that gets released whenever said company is getting particularly cocky. Not only did it happen with the N64 and PS3, like you said, but it also happened with the Sega Saturn (and the other various add-ons to the Genesis).
Which is a real shame. These companies waste so much time over patting themselves on the back that they often forget exactly what made them great in the first place. And they all did it! All the way back to Atari, and no one seemed to have learned from it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

The N64 and PS3 both turned out okay in the end, at least. Not great by any means, but decent enough.

Spark Of Spirit

Oh, before I forget... Did I post here that there's a rumor that Retro is working on a Star Fox game for Wii-U? I can't remember.

Because I hope that's true. The series needs it.

Rynnec

It was me who posted the link to that rumour, and yeah, I hope it's true too (though like I said when I first posted that rumour, I also wouldn't mind if it turns out to be a new IP, either would be very welcomed).

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on May 07, 2012, 12:09:28 AM
It was me who posted the link to that rumour, and yeah, I hope it's true too (though like I said when I first posted that rumour, I also wouldn't mind if it turns out to be a new IP, either would be very welcomed).
Apparently I need to get some sleep.  :sweat:

But yeah, I'm curious to see what they're doing as well. E3 should be fun!

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on May 06, 2012, 11:43:43 PM
The N64 and PS3 both turned out okay in the end, at least. Not great by any means, but decent enough.

What's wrong with the N64 and PS3?

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 07, 2012, 12:39:55 AM
Quote from: Foggle on May 06, 2012, 11:43:43 PM
What's wrong with the N64 and PS3?
Quote from: Rynnec on May 06, 2012, 11:33:13 PM

gunswordfist

Yo, EK, there can only be one.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Foggle