Most Anticipated Video Games

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I remember seeing a commercial for pre-ordering it, even.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't AC3 come out JUST a few months ago?

Honestly, their just milking these franchises by shitting new games out for each of them as fast as possible, to the point where AAA seems to have lost all of its meaning. These all used to be game series in which, whether you liked them or hated them, you were at least well aware of when a new one was coming out because everyone else made it out to be a big deal. Maybe its just me, but I hardly hear any commotion about any of these popular franchises anymore, and I didn't even know that most of these even had new games coming out, and for the ones that I did know about, I had no clue that stuff like Gears of War: Judgement and God of War: Ascension were already out or about to come out.

It just shows you how little even these big franchises really mean anymore. Which is to say, even they are being treated like nothing and just being over-exposed to the point where I feel most people are completely burned out on them by now. I know that I'm still pretty burned out of Gears of War, myself.

Spark Of Spirit

I doubt next gen will be different at any rate.

Tomorrow I pick up Lego City Undercover and Monster Hunter (3DS)... should be fun!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on March 18, 2013, 03:47:33 PM
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 18, 2013, 03:41:22 PM
So, the new Gears of War game comes out tomorrow....
Huh. That marks the sixth recent AAA release I was completely unaware of. I actually had no idea that Fire Emblem: Awakening, Crysis 3, Tomb Raider, SimCity, or God of War: Ascension had even come out until I saw them on shelves.
I can't remember if I knew or didn't know if Crysis 3 was out.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

How are you burnt out from Gears Of War? Ascension is the first to come out close to another entry in the series' release date. It shouldn't be lumped in together with Assassin's Creed.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 19, 2013, 12:36:00 PM
How are you burnt out from Gears Of War?

Because I've already played 3 games that did little to differentiate themselves other than tweaking the gameplay a bit with each installment. I'm not all that interested in playing yet another game with the same exact formula and just a few more tweaks, and reviews pretty much indicate that this is all the new game is. More of the same, which was fine enough for the first 3 games, but now I'm burnt out on having experienced the same old thing 3 times in a row.

Foggle

To be fair, the new Gears game is being made by People Can Fly, the extremely talented developers of Painkiller and Bulletstorm. So unless they're just straight-up emulating the style of the first three games (I wouldn't know, I haven't seen any gameplay), it could be pretty damn good.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Based on what I've heard about the game, much like how Halo 4 was made by different developers but tried too hard to be as close as possible to the previous titles, People Can Fly have pretty much gone the same route with Gears of War: Judgement. The problem with this is that it limits the creativity that a new developer can bring to the series, and in the case of Halo 4, sure, it felt like a Halo game, but just an average one at that (nowhere near the level of quality that Reach brought to the table in the campaign mode department, IMO). Similarly, from reviews about this new Gears of War game, it seems that PCF has succeeded in making this new Gears game feel like the older ones with a few refinements thrown into the mix....but that's also the problem. If you're burned out on the formula as it is like I am, than this new game apparently plays it too safe to really change your mind on that matter.

Foggle

Anyone else keeping up with Kojima's Phantom Pain videos? I think creepy ARGs like this are really cool.

Spark Of Spirit

When it comes to Kojima I wait for release before I consider anticipation.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 19, 2013, 07:43:00 PM
When it comes to Kojima I wait for release before I consider anticipation.
Not really anticipating any sort of game over it, just saying these videos are cool as phuk. Though a MGS-style psychological horror game would make me cream.

That said, I ain't never played a Kojima game I didn't like.

talonmalon333

Has Phantom Pain been confirmed to be Ground Zeroes?

gunswordfist

I haven't played a Kojima game I didn't like either....scratch that ZOE2 bores me to tears to his last game that was widely considered a disappointment was MGS2 and that game was still good and MGS4 is EASILY the greatest stealth game of last gen. I don't know what Spark is talking about.

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 19, 2013, 08:42:46 PM
Has Phantom Pain been confirmed to be Ground Zeroes?
No, most people seem to think it's a completely different game (though still MGS-related). Personally, I kind of hope Phantom Pain is just Phantom Pain... a stealth/horror game where you play as a psychologically disturbed amputee trying to escape from a large hospital that's being invaded by a mysterious military group just sounds AWESOME to me.

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 20, 2013, 08:01:43 AM
I haven't played a Kojima game I didn't like either....scratch that ZOE2 bores me to tears to his last game that was widely considered a disappointment was MGS2 and that game was still good and MGS4 is EASILY the greatest stealth game of last gen.

+MGS3 is one of the best games ever made.

Spark Of Spirit

I heard ZOE2 is way above 1. ZOE1 was totally dull.