Most Anticipated Video Games

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grave

So far there's Metal Gear Solid 5, Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed 4, and now Batman: Arkham Origins. Despite me not caring for Arkham Asylum at all, and disappointed in Arkham City (still had fun with the game), the latest trailer to Origins won me over. For the most part I was not going to get Origins at all, but then I saw Deathstroke, Deadshot and Black Mask all in the same game, and the rest is history.

I would add Deadpool to the list, but I haven't seen anything to really interest me, and it looks uninspired.

Foggle

Quote from: Grave on June 01, 2013, 01:24:18 AM
Despite me not caring for Arkham Asylum at all, and disappointed in Arkham City (still had fun with the game), the latest trailer to Origins won me over. For the most part I was not going to get Origins at all, but then I saw Deathstroke, Deadshot and Black Mask all in the same game, and the rest is history.
It'd probably be better to just watch the cutscenes on YouTube, in that case.

Also, what exactly is Black Mask's character? I've recently read a bunch of comics with him, and while he does look pretty cool, it seems that his entire personality just boils down to getting off on torturing people. (I haven't seen anything with the new Black Mask, but I think Origins is using the first one, so...)

Grave

I also don't know much about Black Mask other than him being a crime lord that hates Bruce. The only thing I saw him in, though, was Under the Red Hood. I'm just glad that him along with Deathstroke are being used in a Batman game though. I forgot Deadshot was in AC (I'm not a completionist so I didn't see him).

Foggle

Quote from: Grave on June 01, 2013, 02:06:36 AM
I also don't know much about Black Mask other than him being a crime lord that hates Bruce. The only thing I saw him in, though, was Under the Red Hood. I'm just glad that him along with Deathstroke are being used in a Batman game though. I forgot Deadshot was in AC (I'm not a completionist so I didn't see him).
Black Mask seems like he could be really cool if he had more depth. Hopefully, since Origins will probably receive a T rating (meaning no torture scenes), he'll get an actual chance to shine as a character here.

Deadshot was "in" AC, but like you, I didn't really bother doing his side missions, since they were extremely boring. Glad he's actually being utilized properly in this game!

Anyway, I'm not expecting AO to reinvent the wheel, so I would recommend erring on the side of caution since you didn't like the first two games much. Personally, I preferred Asylum to City by a wide margin, so I'm a bit skeptical about this game myself.

Grave

Quote from: Foggle on June 01, 2013, 02:11:10 AM
Quote from: Grave on June 01, 2013, 02:06:36 AM
Black Mask seems like he could be really cool if he had more depth. Hopefully, since Origins will probably receive a T rating (meaning no torture scenes), he'll get an actual chance to shine as a character here.

Deadshot was "in" AC, but like you, I didn't really bother doing his side missions, since they were extremely boring. Glad he's actually being utilized properly in this game!

Anyway, I'm not expecting AO to reinvent the wheel, so I would recommend erring on the side of caution since you didn't like the first two games much. Personally, I preferred Asylum to City by a wide margin, so I'm a bit skeptical about this game myself.

While I don't hate Arkham City. I just had high expectations going into the game, but I was disappointed, and ultimately ended up getting fatigue after Ra's. Despite all of that I still had fun with what I was given. Even though Origins trailer won me over, I'm still going in fairly skeptical considering I don't know much about WB Montreal.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That Deadshot side-mission was such a fucking waste of time. It was boring and lame to just investigate dead bodies randomly located across the city, and the fucking boss fight at the end was terrible (if you could even call it that). There was literally no pay-off to completing the side-mission, but really the same could be said for EVERY side-mission in Arkham City. People were going gaga over the game saying it had so much content and so much stuff to do, but it seems that gamers these days like to marvel and just having a lot of "stuff" in the game, rather than if any of that stuff is actually any good. As for Arkham City, its side-missions were a joke and clearly had no effort put into them. The main story itself could easily be completed in just 5 hours or less, and it certainly didn't offer anything beyond what Arkham Asylum already gave us, so I just found the game to be overrated on the whole.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 01, 2013, 01:36:17 PM
The main story itself could easily be completed in just 5 hours or less, and it certainly didn't offer anything that Arkham Asylum already gave us, so I just found the game to be overrated on the whole.
Agreed. I liked the game, but it was way too short and offered little of value outside the main story. I still think Arkham Asylum is bloody fantastic, though - mostly due to the writing and voice acting. Joker is so good in that game.

Peanutbutter

I just heard Tales of Symphonia as well as TOS: Dawn of the New World are getting rereleased on PS3 for HD.  :swoon: I loved Tales of Symphonia but never bought it. I might get this right when it comes out.

Nel_Annette

Buy it. Just... just buy it.

I'd love it if they updated the battle system to include the 3D movement from Abyss on up, though.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Personally, I think it's just Kojima making fun of how the voice actors for Sam Fisher, Garrett, and 47 (originally) were replaced. So with MGS5, KojiPro is having a laugh about how Metal Gear will be "continuing the trend" of dropping the iconic voice of a stealth game's protagonist. I won't be surprised at all if David Hayter is announced to be Big Boss at E3 or whatever.

Grave

I actually don't mind Sutherland taking the role of Big Boss. In fact it makes me even more excited that they actually got him considering he'd be the last person I thought would do V/a in games. Then again, I'm a big 24 fan, and then I remember him in Phone Booth where he was practically a V/a. I'm definitely hoping it'll work.

Hayter will surely be missed though.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on June 07, 2013, 01:00:13 PM
Personally, I think it's just Kojima making fun of how the voice actors for Sam Fisher, Garrett, and 47 (originally) were replaced. So with MGS5, KojiPro is having a laugh about how Metal Gear will be "continuing the trend" of dropping the iconic voice of a stealth game's protagonist. I won't be surprised at all if David Hayter is announced to be Big Boss at E3 or whatever.
So I'm guessing you know there's a new Thief being made?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 07, 2013, 05:09:40 PM
Quote from: Foggle on June 07, 2013, 01:00:13 PM
So I'm guessing you know there's a new Thief being made?
Yep. And while I have full confidence in Eidos Montreal after Human Revolution, I must say that I'm disappointed by what I've heard about Thief 4 so far. Apparently it's been in development hell for years due to conflicting visions within the studio, and they're replacing the amazing Stephen Russell as the voice of Garrett. It still sounds like a fun game from what I've heard... but I've also heard that after five years they've only finished one level, and it doesn't have even properly functioning AI. So, yeah. Bit bummed about it.

Foggle