Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on May 11, 2014, 02:55:16 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 11, 2014, 02:07:49 PM
Are any of them on Steam?
No.

Then that's what I want from them.

Quote from: Foggle on May 11, 2014, 02:55:16 PMNot only do they not remove the fog, the graphics themselves actually look better than the ones in the HD collection.

I should definitely look into that. Hopefully the controls are good.

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 11, 2014, 02:45:34 PM
Wait, they had CGI scenes on N64? How the hell did they do that?

The CGI looks terrible. But as for how they managed to get even that, I really don't know. The N64 port of that game seems like it shouldn't even have been able to exist.

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 12, 2014, 02:25:27 PM
I should definitely look into that. Hopefully the controls are good.
They play horribly with the keyboard, but you can easily plug in a controller.

gunswordfist

The CGI looks terrible. But as for how they managed to get even that, I really don't know. The N64 port of that game seems like it shouldn't even have been able to exist.
Sounds like they used witchcraft.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on May 12, 2014, 02:40:06 PMyou can easily plug in a controller.

Shame PC RE4 couldn't be bothered to add that.

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 12, 2014, 05:12:34 PM
Sounds like they used witchcraft.

I just remembered that it does require use of the N64 Expansion Pack, but it still seems like an impossible port. So yeah, probably witchcraft.

They also cut out the ending theme, which was fairly heavy rock and probably wouldn't have worked on a cartridge. Even the text used in the credits looks cheaper, if I remember correctly. It seems like they cut as many tiny corners as humanly possible just to barely squeeze the completion of this port into plausibility.

Spark Of Spirit

About difficulty on the new Yoshi game from NintendoWorldReport:

Quote?With Yoshi?s Woolly World, we don?t intend it to be for younger players?we were going to make it a Yoshi game. The courses beyond what we have on the show floor will get more challenging. And if you try to get all the collectibles, you?ll find it pretty challenging. It?ll push back.?

The game is more challenging because you can die from a lack of Baby Mario and falling in pits, making it easy to increase the difficulty and making it kind of like a Mario game.
My one quibble with Kirby's Epic Yarn has been addressed.

Looks like this'll be leaning closer to Yoshi's Island difficulty and less on Yoshi Story/Epic Yarn cakewalk style.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

30 minutes of gameplay footage from Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l5iBjGvt9w

I can honestly say, without exaggeration, that this looks like it might be the greatest game of all time (for me, at least). If the whole product lives up to what's shown and discussed in this video, I will worship the ground Kojima stands on.

gunswordfist

MGS IV is still my favorite game of all time so I might be too far behind you. :D

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Meanwhile, Metal Gear Rising will be the closest that I ever come to caring about anything Metal Gear related because stealth is for pussies. :humhumhum:

Rynnec

What Doctor Professor E-K said.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on June 20, 2014, 12:05:27 AM
Meanwhile, Metal Gear Rising will be the closest that I ever come to caring about anything Metal Gear related because stealth is for pussies. :humhumhum:
But stealth is super duper fun, and this game adds lots of new innovations to it! :shit: I'm pretty sure you can shoot your way through the entirety of TPP if you want, though.

Of course, Rising is an amazing game as well. I'm actually replaying it right now. I think it's tied for my favorite entry in the series along with MGS3 and MG2, though MGS4 and Peace Walker are not far behind. Such a great franchise.

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 20, 2014, 12:02:20 AM
MGS IV is still my favorite game of all time so I might be too far behind you. :D
Yessss. The story may take over the game a bit too often, but I still don't understand why everyone pretends it's a movie. To this day, the stealth gameplay is still close to unrivaled, and there's actually quite a bit of content even if you skip the cutscenes.

gunswordfist

It has made me a sucker for open world stealth ever since. Haven't played anything like it since though. :'(

Spark Of Spirit

Out of curiosity, how amazing was Ground Zeroes?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 20, 2014, 11:57:48 AM
Out of curiosity, how amazing was Ground Zeroes?
In terms of core gameplay? Among the best stealth/open-ended games of all time. In terms of value for money? Complete garbage.

It was just a glorified demo for this one, though; a product of Konami's greed. Phantom Pain is the real deal.

gunswordfist

I hear they made that game just to give PS4 something early which actually doesn't sound too bad to me...unless they charged full price.

Spark Of Spirit

Itagaki on working with Nintendo for Devil's Third:

Quote"There are also cultural differences between the way that I've worked and the way Nintendo works, which is when it comes down to the basic grammar of games, the method of game creation and so we certainly fought some, but I think that I saw the value in a lot of the ways that they do things and learned a great amount.

Now this is close to a trade secret so I can't say too much, but I feel like I learned the most fundamental meaning of what it means to push a button. When you tell someone, 'Push the A button,' there's a wealth of information there. And I feel like all of us who have worked on this project, as a result, have grown a bit.

Personally, I feel like the future is going to be made by the gamers themselves. I think a lot of people might have been surprised that such a violent game was going to be released on a Nintendo platform, but I think that you can say, from a certain perspective, things are getting interesting for Nintendo as well, making these kinds of choices.

(90% of the game has stayed the same, but) that other 10 percent I think really has been flavored by this cooperation with Nintendo. Now, as I'm sure you're aware, Japan is a small country in terms of landmass, but it still has an amazing concentration of lots of different cultures within it, and I think that Nintendo culture is one of those, and I had this opportunity to learn about Nintendo culture through the years working with them."
Here's hoping he gets to make it a trilogy as planned.