Most Anticipated Video Games

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Bayonetta 2 will change that, though. :>

Spark Of Spirit

Ninja Gaiden 4 will, you mean.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 28, 2014, 03:54:10 PM
Ninja Gaiden 4 will, you mean.

You mean Ninja Gaiden 3, I believe. How can we have an NG4 when we never even got a third game, yet? :humhumhum:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Oh man, that whole video was awesome. It had a lot of play-testers who knew what they were talking about mentioning both returning skills (including more advanced ones like dodge offset) and new ones that look really cool (including Umbran Climax, which is basically Devil Trigger, but I'm not complaining). Also, that trailer at the end got me pumped, and while I never cared about it that much to begin with, the story in this game actually looks genuinely interesting. I really wish I could afford a Wii-U right now.

gunswordfist

Since we won't be getting a new Jet Set Radio any time soon, this'll do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k8zYmeXFkQ
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Wayforward is making a metroidvania TMNT game for 360, PS3 and DS. *starts crying*

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

i have to get a real computer to see it but that sounds right up my alley. thanks.

Foggle

Oh my fucking god. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2cYlwPMMRs

There has never been a game that's resonated more with me than this one. Kojima Productions is poised to win this entire generation single-handedly as far as I'm concerned.

Spark Of Spirit

Itagaki interview about Devil's Third

QuoteQ3. There?s a remark in the latest trailer, saying ?COMES A NEW BREED OF ACTION.? Can you tell me what makes it ?NEW BREED??

TI: I?m extremely vocal and picky when it comes to the touch-and-feel of the controls ? once you get your hands on it and try for yourself I think you?ll understand. I took a long, hard look at both the action and shooter genres and figured out what they were lacking, and brought them both to a new level.
Game Design 101. More games should do this instead of ripping of COD's or GOW's feel for the five hundredth time.

Here's hoping he can add a new garnish on HEADSHOT EVERYTHING.

EDIT: The best quote:

QuoteQ11. I think some of fans may worry about how violence representation will be because this is a game for Nintendo hardware. Can you tell me how you treated it?

TI: Nintendo has never forced us to follow their routines. ?What is a game? What is it to ?play??? ? Those are the fundamental topics we?ve been discussing the past few years and we?ve always tried to nail down what that ?it? is that gamers are looking for.
That ?it? is what Wii U users are looking for, what our fans are looking for, and also what people are expecting from Japanese developers. It has brought us constant challenges and will continue to bring more in the future. The same thing goes for violence. It?s not something that should be displayed or decided according to a fixed formula. The only thing we?re focused on now is how to make you guys say ?whoa, didn?t see that coming!? when you look back at the game.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I saw that interview featured on Valhalla's own website earlier today.

Say what you will about how dated the game looks and sounds (2 engine changes will do that no matter how good of a developer you are) but in terms of core gameplay, I have yet to see Itagaki fail to make a fun product, mostly because all that he ever does focus on is gameplay. To him, it's much more important to have responsive controls and play something that doesn't feel quite like every other game in the genre that you have played.

Case in point:

-With the DOA games he innovated the genre with interactive environments, whereas every other fighting game had sterile environments that were inconsequential; sure, it may not be for everyone, but at least it was something new and not seen before.

-With NGB he took elements of DMC's gameplay design, mixed it with a but of influence from the Zelda series, and then made everything else his own; he basically took the light and heavy attack combat system and fine-tuned it so well that it has since become a staple of the genre; it pisses me off when people thing that God of War started this trend when it was so clearly Ninja Gaiden that refined and perfected it an entire year before GOW even came out.

-With NGDS, he wanted to use the DS's unique hardware functions as is his policy with any platform that he works in (which is why he never develops multi platform games, unless he ports something later on), and thus he created an action game that relied on the stylus rather than mashing at buttons, and made it just as responsive and fluid as you'd expect from an NG game.

-With NG2 he didn't want to just make NGB again, so he implemented the OT system which drastically changed the way that the combat worked, and on top of adding in over 20 new enemy types (and that's NOT even including all of the new bosses) and not reusing any enemy types from the previous games, he also almost completely overhauled the weapons so that there were plenty of new ones, and the familiar ones worked very differently than they did in NGB (for comparison, even Platinum is playing it safe with Bayonetta 2 in that regard, as much of the combat works just the way that it did in the first game, which isn't a bad thing, but also isn't anywhere near as bold of a leap as NGB to NG2 was).

Devil's Third may have bad graphics and not over-indulge itself in cinematic set-pieces, but I still find it interesting because like all other Itagaki games, it's a game about gameplay that is NOT about what everything else is doing, but rather is doing what everything else is NOT doing. It may not be perfect, but I have faith in VGS to craft a fun game regardless, and furthermore I'm willing to bet that on a level of pure content, it will put most games to shame. Most of Itagaki's games contain more content in the retail package than most modern games have even after all of their paid DLC expansions. The guy just likes to make fun and super replayable video games. I couldn't ask for more.

It's a shame that this game is probably going to bomb, though. Most people, don't care about the stuff that I mentioned, as far as the modern age of gaming goes. Let's just hope that VGS can still stay in business even after this game inevitably flops.

Spark Of Spirit

He's had four years to work on this one game, I'm pretty sure if there's one thing he's had the most time to tweak it was the gameplay. I don't think anyone should worry about that.

Unfortunately, games like this just don't sell that much anymore. I guarantee if Nintendo didn't pick this up, no one else would. Which is good for people like VGS and Platinum, because Nintendo is far more interested in building a library and portfolio than having every game be a million seller. I only wonder if Nintendo approached them with the same approach they did for Platinum.

That being, rescuing a game that would never be made otherwise (Bayonetta 2/Devil's Third), and then creating a new IP on top of it (Wonderful 101/???) thereby getting a two for one for everyone involved.

Now that would be great.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It seems like something that Nintendo would do. Either way, I'm grateful that they are agreeing to publish this game at all. I think that it builds up a good trust between these developers and Nintendo. If any of these smaller developers making exclusive Nintendo games ever hit it big in the future and can create a big money-making IP for any console, I think that they would remember who supported their vision in the past while Microsoft was too busy milking out Halo and GOW games whereas Sony was doing the same for whatever "hip" franchise was most popular at the time.

Foggle

Devil's Third looks fun, but the one gameplay video I saw of it made the melee combat appear extremely clunky, and the switching-to-first-person-to-aim-guns thing seems disorienting for such a fast paced game. Of course, this could have just been due to the previewer being ass at the game, but I was kind of underwhelmed after all these years of cautious hype. Itagaki's comment about needing to actually play DT to understand the feel of the game gives me hope, though. In the meantime, does anyone know some good footage for me to watch?