Most Anticipated Video Games

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rynnec

Foggle

Excellent, thank you. That was much better than the GameSpot footage.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The first-person aiming is the only thing that I'm really not keen on. It kind of defeats the ideas of being a third person action game, and kind of seems disorienting.

As for the rough look, like I said, the game ended up going through severe production problems when the company that made the original engine that they were using went out of business, and VGS had to switch on a moment's notice. Unfortunately stuff like that happens, and it looks like Itagaki and company decided to still go forward with the project, even if the graphics look like they belong on the PS2 (which doesn't bother me that much considering that I play and love a ton of games from that era).

As for needing to be played to be appreciated, it's worth noting that former THQ producer and Vice President Danny Bilson said the same thing. And keep in mind that this was well after THQ went out of business, so he's supporting this game of his own accord, not because he's being paid to. And having just replayed a few hours of NG2, I'm super confident in Itagaki's ability to make a game with super responsive and intuitive controls.

As for clunky looking combat, visually, yes, mechanically, remains to be seen when the game is actually playable, though Itagaki did comment that they had cleaned up a lot of the visual animations.

I admit that I was underwhelmed when this was first revealed as well, but after coming to terms with the reality of the situation, I  still have faith that this could be a fun game, especially on the multiplayer side of things, which looks much more interesting than you standard COD clone.

I can see this becoming an underground cult game along the lines of Deadly Premonition, which was never going to be a AAA hit either critically or financially, but had an undeniably solid game design that made it a fun experience for people who tried it.

Rynnec

One thing you should keep in mind in regards to the combat looking clunky is that it could just be the effects of the stream. It's very likely the game looks much smoother in person.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I was REALLY hoping for a DMC5 announcement at TGS this year, but it doesn't look like we're going to get one at this point. There's still hope for next year, but if it doesn't come by that time, then I doubt that it ever will. From what I can tell Capcom isn't doing all that well financially as of late (not that there shoddy business practices over the past few years coming back to bite them in the ass would have anything to so with it), so it seems like more than ever they want their major releases to be top sellers. The DMC franchise probably doesn't seem like it'll be as popular as it once was in this day and age, so they may opt not to go forward with any more games in the series.

It just sucks that every franchise that I absolutely love has to end up getting the shaft or turning to absolute shit in terms of quality. In that regard, it's probably a good thing that I haven't gotten into some more stuff that you guys love like Ratchet & Clank and Yakuza, among other things. I'd probably bring them bad luck. :sweat:

I just want to experience that excitement of eagerly anticipating a new game in a series that I absolutely love on almost every level. The last time I ever felt that excited for any game was back when NG2 was coming out, which was 6 whole years ago. :(

And yes, I'm excited for Devil's Third and Bayonetta 2, but I don't own a Wii-U, and at any rate, DT is a brand new IP, whereas I really do like Bayonetta, but not quite on the same level as NG and DMC.

Foggle

Apparently MGS5 has actually been in steady development since about a year after MGS4 was finished. It also represents Kojima's original design concepts for the series as a whole; it's the game he always wanted the original Metal Gear to be back in 1987. No wonder it looks so good. :joy:

Foggle

According to Game Informer, what they played of The Evil Within combined pretty much every genre of horror you can think of into a soup, and in the process it became very much its own thing. To describe it, they name-dropped classic Resident Evil, Dead Space, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, Amnesia, Saw, and various slasher films. TEW also looks to contain stealth elements like in the Siren series. Apparently it's legitimately scary, does new things with the genre never before seen in video games, and has a genuinely engaging story.

My hype. :shit: :shit:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

And this comes out just in time for my birthday. Thanks for the gift, Shinji Mikami! :joy:

Speaking of scary games, I played that new Silent Hill teaser demo with my friend on his PS4 the other day. Granted, I know that it was just a teaser and the actual game probably won't be in first person like that, and the puzzles won't be so cryptic like they were here (where we HAD to use a walkthrough to get through it), which is probably for the better. I don't care what anyone else says, I found it to be legitimately scary and unsettling based on atmosphere alone, without the need for jump scares. Play it blind WITHOUT looking at any YouTube videos like other cheaters, and you may feel the same way. Either that, or I'm just a wuss, but I honestly don't find that many games or movies scary these days, so I don't think that's the case.

It's more like the demo did a good job of honestly not really doing anything that outright scary (unless you fail to solve the puzzle and lose, in which case you get a jump scare), but used its atmosphere and insanely creepy sound effects alone to get you unsettled, always expecting something bad to happen. It also felt suitably cryptic and symbolic in a way that I can't possibly comprehend as someone who's never played any other SH games other than what I've seen some people play of them. Yup, this definitely has Hideo Kojima's influence painted all over it.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on September 23, 2014, 07:26:19 PM
According to Game Informer, what they played of The Evil Within combined pretty much every genre of horror you can think of into a soup, and in the process it became very much its own thing. To describe it, they name-dropped classic Resident Evil, Dead Space, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, Amnesia, Saw, and various slasher films. TEW also looks to contain stealth elements like in the Siren series. Apparently it's legitimately scary, does new things with the genre never before seen in video games, and has a genuinely engaging story.

How do you think the makers of RE6 will react to this game? :P

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on September 23, 2014, 07:34:56 PMthe puzzles won't be so cryptic like they were here (where we HAD to use a walkthrough to get through it)

I can't say anything about the new Silent Hill as I don't really know anything about it. But in general, I think the puzzles in Silent Hill games tend to be more devious than, say, Resident Evil. They tend to be really cryptic, but in a good way. You really have to put a lot of thought into them.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 23, 2014, 07:50:25 PM
Quote from: Foggle on September 23, 2014, 07:26:19 PM

"What are Silent Hill, Dead Space, and Fatal Frame? Are they popular series in America?"
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

P.T. looks awesome; heard nothing but good things about it since it launched. I've already added it to my PSN download queue for when I eventually get a PS4. :)

I love Kojima's deranged puzzle design from Metal Gear 2. That one with the snake eating the owl egg was batshit insane in the best possible way. I just hope he doesn't go all the way to Silent-Hill-3-on-Hard-mode style puzzles in his SH game...

Capcom are definitely shitting themselves. The Steam re-release of RE4, the announcement of Revelations 2 ("a real horror game this time guys!!"), REmake suddenly coming to every single home system not named the Wii-U... it's all been timed like this for a reason. They're scared of Shinji Mikami's return to the horror genre while simultaneously trying to profit off of it. Also, while they're probably dubious, I've heard rumors that Capcom actually paid games journalists to speak badly of The Evil Within during early previews. Remember how it was getting nothing but negative press earlier in the year, and now it's suddenly being touted as one of 2014's most exciting releases? It is kind of fishy...

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 23, 2014, 07:55:25 PM
"What are Silent Hill, Dead Space, and Fatal Frame? Are they popular series in America?"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

To be fair, Dead Space pulled an RE6 with its 3rd game, so it's also in shit creak with its fans right now.

Spark Of Spirit

Capcom has been doing a lot of shady stuff recently including suing Tecmo-Koei for a very shallow reason. They're hurting for money and in a well deserved bad situation.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on September 23, 2014, 08:01:37 PM
To be fair, Dead Space pulled an RE6 with its 3rd game, so it's also in shit creak with its fans right now.
You become a fan of an EA franchise, you take your risks.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on September 23, 2014, 08:01:20 PMI just hope he doesn't go all the way to Silent-Hill-3-on-Hard-mode style puzzles in his SH game...

Oh yeah. I forgot about that... Wasn't there a puzzle that required extensive Shakespeare knowledge or something?

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 23, 2014, 08:07:07 PM
Oh yeah. I forgot about that... Wasn't there a puzzle that required extensive Shakespeare knowledge or something?
Yes... :whuh: