Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It's not in my canon, and that's the only one that actually matters. :>

talonmalon333

What's considered canon anyway?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Didn't we go over all of this literally like a month or two ago?

talonmalon333

I'm referring to just games. As far as movies go I know that 3 and Resurrection don't count.

Foggle

Only Isolation and Colonial Marines are canon as far as I know. Though I can easily see them retconning CM out of the timeline in the future (and Isolation too if it somehow ends up being disappointing), and there really isn't any reason why the FPS Aliens vs. Predator games or Infestation can't also be canon.

talonmalon333

Are any of the games so far good, or is this upcoming supposedly going to be the first good one? When I hear talk of these games I don't hear a lot of positive things, which surprises me because I always felt Alien could make for a really good video game. After all, Metroid was inspired by it and those games are very good, but Alien is Alien, meaning it's way better than Metroid. 8-)

Foggle

Monolith's Aliens vs. Predator 2 for PC is fantastic (but avoid Primal Hunt at all costs), and those old AVP beat 'em ups are pretty fun for what they are. I didn't enjoy the Rebellion games, Alien Trilogy, Extinction, or Infestation at all. Never played the Resurrection game, the AVP Requiem game, or any others.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I only ever tried one AVP game, which was whatever that FPS one was that was released back in 2000, and I thought it was pretty awful (I played the PC version, for the record).

I haven't tried any other games in the franchise, though, but I've heard that there were some good ones back in the 90's.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 02, 2014, 08:37:34 PM
I only ever tried one AVP game, which was whatever that FPS one was that was released back in 2000, and I thought it was pretty awful (I played the PC version, for the record).
Ah yes, Rebellion's Aliens vs Predator from 1999... Many seem to contend that it's a classic, but I played it back in 2003, and it was just as putrid then as it is today. Terrible game.

Rynnec

Is the AVP released back in 2010 any good?

Foggle

Quote from: Rynnec on October 02, 2014, 08:47:16 PM
Parts of it were good, but it wasn't that great overall.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on October 02, 2014, 08:24:02 PM
Are any of the games so far good, or is this upcoming supposedly going to be the first good one? When I hear talk of these games I don't hear a lot of positive things, which surprises me because I always felt Alien could make for a really good video game. After all, Metroid was inspired by it and those games are very good, but Alien is Alien, meaning it's way better than Metroid. 8-)

Still the best Alien game.

Quote from: Foggle on October 02, 2014, 08:49:16 PM
Quote from: Rynnec on October 02, 2014, 08:47:16 PM
Parts of it were good, but it wasn't that great overall.
^What he said.

It's such an obvious idea for a FPS game, but no one has really nailed it yet from what I've played.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

So I've been researching this game and am considering getting Alien: Isolation as a birthday gift for my brother. We only just watched the whole series a few months ago, and when we did we were talking about how Alien needs a good, atmospheric video game and how much it lends itself to that. I'll probably wait until it comes out to make sure that it's generally accepted before ordering it (if it comes out and everyone pans it, I'm not taking a chance on that). But first, do you guys know how technologically advanced the game is, and how strong a PC has to be to play it? Ours can easily play games from the past few years, and this game is also being released on the PS3 meaning it shouldn't be too advanced, so it shouldn't be an issue. I just want to be on the same side.

Foggle

It's being developed on a new in-house engine, so there's no way of knowing until it comes out.