Most Anticipated Video Games

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 11, 2014, 11:17:34 PM
But in that example, you're using two shots from completely different parts of the game. The one you used for the 360 version looks good artistically, but the shot from the PS2 version doesn't, HOWEVER it's also from a much less interesting looking area in the game from what I can tell. I'd need to see screenshots of the exact same location to make a proper comparison.
For what it's worth, while you were making your post, I swapped out the 360 image for one from almost exactly the same area of the game, including the same guard clothes. I couldn't do much better, unfortunately, as it's hard to find pictures of the PS2 version.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 11, 2014, 11:17:34 PM
As for The Evil Within, I'll need to see both versions in motion to make a comparison there as well, but I still think  there's a discrepancy between what counts as graphical finesse and art design that we aren't seeing on the same level. When you take stuff like really specific textures into account, I tend to think more along the lines of graphical power. If we're talking about added details in the design, than perhaps you have a point thee, but then I fail to understand how they couldn't have added those artistic details into the game in the first place.
I think it's an engine thing. Honestly, there's no reason why the PS3/360 version couldn't look like that PS4 screenshot... but this game runs on Id Tech 5, which is notoriously bad at graphical scaling between consoles. When I say the PS3 version looks "muddy," I don't mean the art, I just mean that it's lacking in details and has bad lighting. The art style is great overall, even on the last gen ports; it just comes through a lot better with the intended current gen details.

QuoteFor instance, take Halo: Combat Evolved and it's anniversary edition. The Anniversary edition clearly looks better because of some obvious HD upgrades, but more so because of added artistic details in the environments. However, I can't help but feel that in this case, the original version could've handled those sorts of details, but Bungie had never thought to add them, so when 343 revamped the game, they decided to add in interesting patterns within the structures to make the environments feel less plane. I'm actually surprised that you didn't just use that example, yourself. It fits in better with your point, but also kind of defends mine as well, if that makes any sense at all. :P
Well, I think Halo for Xbox/PC still looks really good, and it also wasn't developed concurrently with the 360 version, so I didn't think it really fit in with the argument I was trying to make. Blood Money definitely looks better on 360/PC than PS2/Xbox, and they were developed at the same time by the same company. Basically, all I'm trying to say is that, since TEW has a good art style, it will age better on current gen consoles, because it gets to show off the staff's full artistic vision. No, the cracked stairs and Sebastian's wet hair won't be that impressive 10 years down the line, but it will show off the little details and atmospheric touches Tango had in mind for the game.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So we're specifically talking about downgrade ports here?

Perhaps in that case you have a point. But then that just goes back to what I said about performance. If the game performs as smoothly on the last gen consoles, then I ultimately won't care about the changes even if the current gen versions look better, and knowing Mikami, he'd prioritize frame rate over graphics.

Foggle

Apparently he did; the game supposedly runs the same across all platforms, though last gen has slightly longer load times and some screen tearing.

I do want the current gen version for dem graphics but they don't mean so much to me that I'm going to wait to play the game or say the last gen version sucks. Besides, most of my favorite games are from the 90's/early-to-mid 00's, so it's not like I'm particularly fussed with graphics. I don't even think TEW PS3 looks bad in general, just in comparison. I probably never would have noticed much difference if I hadn't seen them side by side, honestly.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So in case anyone wondered what a Star Fox game made by Platinum would look like if they were ever to do one, here's a hint:

Spoiler

[close]

Seriously Nintendo, what are you waiting for? Green light this and make it an actual thing.

Foggle

WHAT IS THIS AND HOW DO YOU UNLOCK IT

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

According to GT, who got their hands on the Japanese version of the game earlier this month, you have you have to be wearing the Star Fox costume when you play this level, and the normal design of the ship will turn into that of the Arwing. HOWEVER, it's not just a mere aesthetic change. You'll also get to use the lock-on bombs that are part if the Arwing's weapon arsenal, just like in Star Fox 64!

Foggle

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Oh, and you can do a barrel roll, naturally. ;)

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on September 18, 2014, 01:04:24 AM
Oh my fucking god. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2cYlwPMMRs

There has never been a game that's resonated more with me than this one. Kojima Productions is poised to win this entire generation single-handedly as far as I'm concerned.
21 minutes...I'll have to set a time to watch that later. Sounds like I'm with you before I even watch this, brother. Stealth perfection has been one of the top things I've been dying to see.

Lord Il

Quote from: Foggle on October 11, 2014, 08:52:48 PM
Well, while the last gen version of TEW apparently runs well enough, here's a graphical comparison (stolen from GAF):

PS3/360:

PS4/Xbone/PC:

Damn, it almost looks like a completely different game. Will definitely be double dipping when I eventually get a PS4.
Definitely appreciate those comparison pics, Foggle. My eventual PS3 version may not look quite as pretty, but I still like what I see.

gunswordfist

Foggle

Quote from: Lord Il on October 12, 2014, 06:23:12 PM
Definitely appreciate those comparison pics, Foggle. My eventual PS3 version may not look quite as pretty, but I still like what I see.
Yeah, it still looks decent enough. Getting to play the game is the most important part, after all!

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 12, 2014, 06:18:24 PM
21 minutes...I'll have to set a time to watch that later. Sounds like I'm with you before I even watch this, brother. Stealth perfection has been one of the top things I've been dying to see.
It's definitely worth it. :) The game looks sooooooo goooooood.

gunswordfist

I'll be sure to check that out then. ;D

Foggle

First Evil Within review is out.

Quote from: http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/the_evil_within_review.htmlOne of the the most interesting things about famed Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikimi's latest is how much it feels like Silent Hill. While the influence of past Capcom classics is obvious - it plays like a cross between Resi remake's slow-burn horror and resource management while effortlessly slipping gears into the slasher-terror of Resi 4's action - The Evil Within's paranormal setting gives the director free reign to play with notions of reality in a way that resembles Team Silent's best.

Does the combination work? It does, even if The Evil Within doesn't hit the heights of Mikami's previous work. It's a game that expertly sustains a feeling of dread, and knows when to ratchet up the feeling of being utterly overwhelmed, first slowly then suddenly in a way that induces sheer panic, much like Resi 4 before it. But detective Sebastian Castellanos is no Leon S. Kennedy: there are no suplexes or diving out of windows here. Instead Castellanos is a man who struggles, who limps, who, like the player, has to fight tooth and nail to prevent the next enemy encounter being the last.

There's a satisfaction to combat that feels distinctly Mikami - every encounter is a test, a potential last stand, and it takes true skill to come out alive. Choices have to be made - do you use the various tricks and traps against your enemy, or break them down into ammo for your multi-purpose bow? It's up to you, which makes combat so much fun.

At times it feels like a Mikami megamix: it has the village with the chainsaw-wielding dude, another mansion, etc. But Mikami does this so well it's difficult to get annoyed. It's not unusual for directors in either film or games to recall past glories, and few do it better than Mikami. Even though this isn't his best, The Evil Within has enough magic to make it a worthy investment.