Most Anticipated Video Games

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

N64 and DS games still aren't there yet, never mind the third party console I'm waiting to return from the Wii.

Whoever is in charge of the VC needs to pick it up.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

I'd really like to see Thousand-Year Door on Virtual Console so it can be playable on the Wii U. Most of my favorite GameCube games have gotten re-released and can be played on current generation things, but that's still stuck in the GameCube era. And I doubt it'll get get a real port, so Virtual Console seems most likely.

Nel_Annette

Whoever's in charge of the VC should have been fired over a year ago. We should have had so much more on there by now. So much more.

Spark Of Spirit

News on Devil's Third:

Quote"It looks like Devil's Third for Wii U is just about done. It's been two years spent on designs, and four, six years of development. We've really kept all of you fans waiting, but for our first title since going independent, it wouldn't be fun if we released a small game, so [Devil's Third] is the result of making something while going all out.

The single player is made to be like the action games of yesteryear and the online competitive multiplayer mode was designed on a scale that will make you go 'this much already?!' The release date announcement will still take a little longer, but let's play together when it releases. It's loads of fun!!"
Here's hoping the final product is worth that wait.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Apparently it's been improved a lot since the videos released earlier in the year. Those didn't impress me much, but Itagaki and his team can make a damn good game, and I'm sure the finished product will be awesome.

Rynnec

Seeing as how I was already impressed by the Treehouse footage, hearing that it's been improved since then has me more hyped for the game now.

This'll probably be the game that satisfies by thirst for good, violent shooters this gen.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Here's the thing (and I've already said this before), but the crudeness of that E3 showing can basically be attributed to this game being forced to run on the Unreal Engine when it was never originally designed for that. At first Itagaki was doing fine developing it for another engine until that company went bankrupt. Then he switched over to the Darksiders 2 engine, but then THQ went bankrupt, and finally they had to go independent and somewhere along the line decided that UE was one of their only remaining options for one reason or another (and also because it's commonly used for TPS games). Had this game been made the way that Itagaki originally intended without any of these unlucky events interfering with its development, then it would've blown our minds in awesomeness at its first showing alone. As it stands, while I don't doubt that the game will be packed with content and the product of much effort, if it doesn't turn out great, I think that we can all easily see how it wasn't really Itagaki or VGS's fault. It's just the nature of the business, which is why I will feel bad for them if the game doesn't do well.

Here's what I predict: It'll be a very flawed but really fun game past all of the issues. Critics will pan it badly because of bad graphics and stuff that I don'tcare about that much, and the game will undersell, but it will still earn a cult fan-base of core gamers who can appreciate it for what it does well.

Just the concept itself of being able to fight on multi-tiered stages using guns and melee weapons and running from rooftop to rooftop with Itagaki's mastery of great controls makes this more appealing than most TPS games that I've ever played. If Itagaki can just nail that part of it, that'll have been worth the wait alone, IMO.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on December 31, 2014, 07:54:41 AM
Here's the thing (and I've already said this before), but the crudeness of that E3 showing can basically be attributed to this game being forced to run on the Unreal engine when it was never originally designed for that. At first Itagaki was doing fine developing it for another Engine until that company went bankrupt. Then he switched over to the Darksiders 2 engine, but then THQ went bankrupt, and finally they had to go independent and somewhere along the line decided that UE was one of their only remaining options for one reason or another (and also because it's commonly used for TPS games). Had this game been made the way that Itagaki originally intended without any of these unlucky events interfering with its development, then it would've blown our minds in awesomeness at its first showing alone. As it stands, while I don't doubt that the game will be packed with content and the product of much effort, if it doesn't turn out great, I think that we can all easily see how it wasn't really Itagaki or VGS's fault. It's just the nature of the business, which is why I will feel bad for them if the game doesn't do well.
Makes sense. That first trailer from years ago looked so slick. If only Deep Silver had bought Devil's Third/Valhalla like they did with a bunch of THQ's other franchises/studios, then it would have still been able to use the DS2 engine, and it would have probably come out for more than one console. :(

Spark Of Spirit

From Itagaki's recent comments he said that the current build is much better than what was shown at E3. I think the E3 stuff was cobbled together because they needed something to show and creating a demo usually requires a lot of work (and is never the most recent build) so they used the version of the game while it was still being heavily reworked.

That said, it'll still get bad reviews. I'm going to say the complaints will be "Too confusing", "Too hard", and "The levels are too open" or a variant on those.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It'll most likely get knocked for looking like a last-gen game (even with improved graphics from E3, it's still the Unreal Engine, so I can't imagine the game looking very impressive, regardless), being too hard, and not conforming to what every other TPS does in terms of gameplay mechanics, even if the mechanics themselves are precise and solid.

A lot of people knocked NG2 for that and compared it to games like God of War, despite the fact that the mechanics were solid and just happened to take some actual skill to get good at using, and also that it's very fundamental style of gameplay is meant to. Be nothing like God of War or DMC. It's just Ninja Gaiden, and it's unique from any other hack n' slash games out there. I still have yet to see any game in the genre implement anything both cooler AND more fun and intuitive to use as a regular form of attack than Obliteration Techniques, personally.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 31, 2014, 01:27:07 PM
That said, it'll still get bad reviews. I'm going to say the complaints will be "Too confusing", "Too hard", and "The levels are too open" or a variant on those.
So, exactly what happened to The Evil Within, then...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

TEW Wasn't critically panned though. Some critics really berated it, but a majority seemed to find it to be a good game with a bit too many "flaws," with many of the things that they criticized as flaws being completely intentional in design to make the game scarier and more challenging, but of course modern gamers don't get that. Some big sites still gave it really good reviews, though, such as GT, who are among the few sites that aren't inexplicably anti-old-school game design (which is why they almost always give Nintendo games fair reviews).

Peanutbutter

Spark Of Spirit

Codename S.T.E.A.M. is looking right up my alley. I already like Fire Emblem and Valkyria Chronicles, and I really dig Silver Age comic book stylings and classic literature, so this looks like it was tailor made for me.

I'm hoping my friend will lend me his Marth and Ike amiibos for that amiibo feature, because that looks really cool.

talonmalon333

What exactly is the "New Nintendo 3DS"?