Most Anticipated Video Games

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on April 01, 2015, 08:46:46 PM
N64 games on Wii U VC is also great news.

At least it would have been 2-3 years ago. Now it's just "What took them so long?". :P

Nel_Annette

I just pre-ordered the silver Batman PS4. I... couldn't help myself. I want it. And Arkham Knight comes with it.

Spark Of Spirit

QuoteWell as a Fire Emblem fan, it makes me want to jump off a bridge. This was my most wanted game behind Zelda U and it looks nothing like FE.
QuoteThe anime cutscenes (I'm assuming they're cutscenes) looked fine. I like the anime style, so that's not the issue I have.

It was (what I'm assuming was...) the actual gameplay. It looked dated and like it belonged on the eShop, not as a full Wii U release.
QuoteThis looks appalling. I wish we were getting a Fire Emblem game on the WiiU that did the series justice.
QuoteI don't like what I saw; it looks like a dating sim and the music was awful.
QuoteI'm not upset over art style. I'm not upset because it doesn't look more like one or the other franchise. We know nothing of the gameplay or anything. I'm upset it really took me a second to remember it was a Wii U game, because it looks like @$$. And I'm the furthest thing from a graphics junkie. It looked terrible.

Also, I'm big on anime, so that isn't the issue either. It just looked ... bad.
QuoteThe new trailer looks absolutely nothing like the 2013 teaser, and the style in general clashes with the more mature style of Shin Megami Tensei games (it looks more Fire Emblem than SMT, and I don' think that's a good thing), so I'll reduce my interest to "yeah, maybe".
QuoteSo wait ... is this a 3DS game or a Wii U game??
Quote"It looked like a 3DS game. Which is why I even had to ask."

"Had it been a 3DS game you would have seen the 3DS overlay on the gameplay footage. This is Wii U."

"I get that now. But it makes the game even more of a disappointment. It looked awful.

I mean, I of course need to see more gameplay and learn more about the game before I write it off completely, but from that trailer, this went from a definite-buy to a 0% chance."
Those are the nicer ones.

"It's too much like Fire Emblem!"
"It's too much like SMT!"
"It's too much like both!"
"It's not enough like either!"

People really will complain about anything.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Goddamn. I don't know what to say to all that nonsense.

Quote from: Nel_Annette on April 01, 2015, 09:18:17 PM
I just pre-ordered the silver Batman PS4. I... couldn't help myself. I want it. And Arkham Knight comes with it.
NIIIIIIIICE.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 01, 2015, 09:23:49 PM
I mean, I of course need to see more gameplay and learn more about the game before I write it off completely, but from that trailer, this went from a definite-buy to a 0% chance."

This is my favorite one. It's hilarious for them to say "I of course need to see more gameplay and learn more about the game before I write it off completely" and then to follow that up with "0% chance". Doesn't 0% chance imply writing it off completely? >_<

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Foggle on April 01, 2015, 09:25:53 PM
NIIIIIIIICE.

Yeah, I think I was just so salty about missing out on the 20th Anniversary PS4 that I just had to jump on this one. I'd like a silver-colored council. I like Batman. And now there's actually a handful of PS4 games I want to play, so now seems like the time to hop on the train. I mean, look at this sexy thing.

Foggle

Foggle

So uh I just watched the SMT x FE trailer and I'm going to have to take back what I said. It looks like an Idea Factory Vita game to me. :(

Spark Of Spirit

QuoteATLUS,CO.,LTD.
Illusory Revelations ? Fire Emblem – Producer
Shinjiro Takada

Greetings!

It's nice to meet all of you, or shall I say, see all of you again. This is Shinjiro Takada from ATLUS. Usually, I am responsible for working on the Devil Survivor* series, but this time, I was tasked with working on the production for the upcoming crossover title "Illusory Revelations ? Fire Emblem*"

After over two long years of keeping you waiting, we felt it was finally time to showcase this game. Did you have a look at the new PV*?

This is the result of our collaboration work on the "Fire Emblem" series. I think many people will find it quite different than they had originally expected. Originally, it was very challenging for us to get the "Fire Emblem" aspect into the game, but we worked carefully with Nintendo to ensure it'd work well and deliver the feeling you get from the series.
But, "as long as development of this title conforms with what Intelligent Systems originally would have wanted, and ATLUS develops it and triumphs through it, then ATLUS' work is good."

It was following that that we were able to come to our conclusion and settle on the concept for this project. As a result of this, "Illusory Revelations ? Fire Emblem" follows the basic axis of what I would say are "Realistic characters who suffer from many conflicts and worries in modern-day Japan" in this RPG. It was capturing the feeling of "Fire Emblem" that was the real challenge during the development of this concept, as this is a collaboration.

In this PV, many people may find it hard to understand where the essence of "Fire Emblem" comes into play. However, this will be explained more in the future, so please wait for a follow-up to this.

The character designs that would become the face of this project were designed by toi8*, who we had requested to assist us. Even though "Illusory Revelations ? Fire Emblem" follows its own world and has a touch of fresh colors and poppy visuals, we wanted to make it easy to get into the world of this game, while still making it look refined and familiar for those who are fans of the series.

Although only four characters appear in the spotlight of this PV, there are more characters (some of which make a quick appearance in the PV) prepared for the future, so please stay tuned!

It should also be noted that "Illusory Revelations ? Fire Emblem" has given us the opportunity to work with other developers. This time, in the first edition of this creators' blog, you got to hear comments from me, the top batter of the project. But, we have interviews planned with other ATLUS staff and developers in the future, so we hope everyone will enjoy it!

While development has finally reached its climax, and we are celebrating that, there is still a ways to go. We are working hard on to bring this game to you with our staff. However, there is still some work to be done, so this game will be released this winter. We thank you for your patience, and hope to make a project with our team that everyone can enjoy!

*"Illusory Revelations ? Fire Emblem" is not the official localized title, and is a translation of the title by us.

*"PV" stands for "promo video" or "promotional video" and is usually what most trailers are called for Japanese games.

*"Devil Survivor" is a series that was originally released for the Nintendo DS in Japan and North America in 2009 with its first title "Megami Ibunroku: Devil Survivor". This game was localized under the title of "Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor" in international regions, and has seen massive success, branching off into a sequel as well as an enhanced port of the first two games for the Nintendo 3DS.

*"toi8 (????)" is an artist who does character designs for different types of media.

This interview was translated by Mystic of TRADUKO Soft. You are free to share this interview anywhere you'd like, as long as you credit me. Please note that as this is a translated interview, certain translations may differ from the original Japanese text. TRADUKO Soft claims no rights to anything by ATLUS, Intelligent Systems, Nintendo, or any of their franchises, which includes FIRE EMBLEM or the SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI franchise. This is a translated interview for fans to enjoy. Please stay tuned for more in the future as they become available!
Looks like it went through a lot.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I think the problem is that it doesn't really resemble Fire Emblem or Shin Megami Tensei (including Persona) at all. The reason folks are angry is because they assumed it would be a crossover, but instead it's just Atlus making a non-SPRG FE. There's nothing truly wrong with that, of course, but even though I don't feel burned over it like a lot of folks seem to, the trailer honestly doesn't inspire confidence. This kind of looks like the Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One of Atlus RPGs, to me.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 02, 2015, 01:40:44 AMThis kind of looks like the Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One of Atlus RPGs, to me.
:SHOCK:

Foggle

What I mean is, like

On the surface, All 4 One has everything you'd expect from a Ratchet & Clank game. Every aspect that makes the franchise great is present, from the core platforming and shooting mechanics, to the goofy humor, to the colorful cartoon graphics. But none of it is executed well. The gameplay is simply not fun, the story is banal, and the artwork is uninteresting.

Now, obviously it's just a short trailer, but the SMTxFE commercial is giving me similar vibes. It has everything that makes Persona great (though unfortunately not FE or mainline SMT) right there on display, but none of it looks up to par with the previous games. We have seen only snippets, sure, but none of it inspires confidence in me as a fan of Atlus' past work. Compare this to the extremely similar first Persona 5 trailer from 2 months ago. They both show brief snippets of gameplay, display the main characters' designs, and give us a sampling of what is likely the theme song. This is just my opinion, but I found every aspect of the P5 trailer to be stylish and exciting, while I was bored and turned off by the analogous attributes of the SMTxFE trailer.

That said, maybe it was just an underwhelming first showing. I remember thinking the first trailer for The Wonderful 101 looked awful, but the followup gameplay was excellent and it turned out to be a masterpiece. I won't pass judgment on SMTxFE until I actually play the game. It's Shin Megami Tensei-related, so I'll be buying it regardless.

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

Make amiibos scan characters in and I'll be good.

8-bit Mega Man? Yes please!