Most Anticipated Video Games

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Project X Zone 2 was announced

QuoteAmong the famed returning licenses, Project X Zone 2 will feature TEKKEN, TALES OF VESPERIA, GOD EATER or .hack// series (BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment), DEVIL MAY CRY, MEGAMAN X and RESIDENT EVIL series (CAPCOM), Sakura Wars, YAKUZA: Dead Souls and Virtua Fighter
Sounds good. Those characters were really good in the first game.

The trailer says it'll be appealing to "worldwide fans" this time, so there should hopefully be some surprises. Strider Hiryu AND Hotsuma are a team in this one, which is clearly a nod to retro fans.

Now can we also have Sonic, Classic Mega Man, and Klonoa this time?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Spark Of Spirit

Good article. Yes, I also think Devil's Third was a smart pick up for Nintendo (and a good break for Valhalla) in filling out a niche that needs filling. People still sob over W101 and Bayo 2 not lighting the charts on fire, but they were never expected to. They were made for widening Nintendo's portfolio and system library to attract more customers.

I'm wondering if Nintendo made the same sort of deal with Platinum and greenlit a new Itagaki game when making a deal for this one. It sure would additionally help with their library.

Working with Insomniac on a new project would also help, not to mention getting No More Heroes 3 and other games of its type.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, for as much as people love to bitch about Nintendo, they are putting a lot of effort into building up a strong library of niche games for more mature audiences. While it won't sell a lot more systems right away, what it will do is gradually change Nintendo's reputation over time. They can just outright shed their family-friendly image, as their main demographic is younger gamers, but they can cleverly plant the seeds to allow them to cater to a more hardcore audience in the long run, which is what I think that they are going for.

Conversely, Microsoft seems to be moving in the opposite direction with how much they push stuff like Kinect, while mostly relying on third-party support and Halo games for their mature content, but aside from a few standout unique titles, they are relying too much on slowly aging franchises that people will eventually get burned out on before long.

talonmalon333

That's especially a good thing because some people give off the idea that Nintendo is the one who just relies on their franchises, labeling their new consoles "Mario and Zelda machines". While I do think one or maybe two Nintendo consoles could've used a bit more beyond first-party games, they are overall more than that.

Foggle

Insomniac is releasing their first ever PC game next week!

It's quite cheap and looks to be both cute and fun. I'll be sure to pick it up! (And hopefully this means they'll do a PC version of Sunset Overdrive someday!)

gunswordfist

Yes, hopefully this opens the floodgates.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Since we were talking about the Wii U, what are all the great third-party games it has/is getting? I need to make a list for when I purchase that console.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, it already has Bayonetta 2 (as well as the best version of the first Bayonetta), as well as The Wonderful 101, and it will presumably be getting Devil's Third later this year (granted that, it seems to be more of an online shooter, so it may not be up your alley).

As for the rest, I'm sure that Spark could list a bunch of good ones.

Foggle

Bayonetta 2 w/ Bayonetta 1
Devil's Third
Fatal Frame 5
Rodea: The Sky Soldier w/ Wii version (completely different game)
The Wonderful 101
Xenoblade Chronicles X

This isn't counting download-only games, of which there are several. Not a lot, admittedly, but buying Nintendo consoles for third party games isn't exactly the smartest business decision.

talonmalon333

They should pull a Bayonetta 2 and bundle Fatal Frame 4 with Fatal Frame 5.

I think the Wii U might be the only console I'll buy this generation.

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 16, 2015, 02:51:14 PM
They should pull a Bayonetta 2 and bundle Fatal Frame 4 with Fatal Frame 5.
They won't. Nintendo refused to release Fatal Frame 4 outside of Japan because it had too many bugs. The English patch isn't too hard to use if you're willing to import a copy, at least.

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Foggle on April 16, 2015, 02:48:00 PM
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Xenoblade is a third party game?  I thought Nintendo bought Monolith Soft.

Foggle

Oh, they did. Wow. Had no idea. So that's a second party game, then.