Most Anticipated Video Games

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

The Metal Gear fight is the only boss fight I remember liking in the game. But it really is awesome.

I think that "I love it, in concept" can be applied to a lot of the stuff in MGS2's story.

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 24, 2015, 06:17:39 PM
They say Fortune is the only thing in the series so far that has not been explained...

But not this. This moment was terrible no matter what. "She really is Lady Luck" is the direction they seemed to have gone with.

gunswordfist

I'm...I'm drawing a blank on the metal gear fight. I'm just remembering the zanyness.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 24, 2015, 10:31:59 PM
The Metal Gear fight is the only boss fight I remember liking in the game. But it really is awesome.
Olga and the helicopter were pretty good, too. But Fatman and Solidus...

QuoteI think that "I love it, in concept" can be applied to a lot of the stuff in MGS2's story.
Absolutely. The core story is actually really intriguing, it's just that the script is very amateurish and conveys the ideas and themes badly IMO.

talonmalon333

What do you think is worse story-wise, MGS2 or MGS4?

gunswordfist

Foggle

I'm pretty sure MGS4's story/script were specifically written as a "fuck you" to Konami for milking the franchise, as well as the "fans" who sent Kojima death threats over not wanting to continue it.

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 25, 2015, 01:12:44 PM
Is this a joke?
:lol:

talonmalon333

I kind of feel like MGS4's story was just damage control, with Kojima attempting to clean up the stupidity of MGS2, and in the process turned incomprehensible nonsense into nanomachines.

Vampire who can walk on water and can't die? IT'S ALL IN HIS NANOMACHINES.

Liquid Snake can control Ocelot because his arm was attached to Ocelot? NOPE. OCELOT JUST MANIPULATED HIS NANOMACHINES TO MAKE PEOPLE THINK HE WAS LIQUID BECAUSE OF REASONS.

Reality being a big joke? HEHE, NANOMACHINES ARE REALITY.

Kojima just has a tendency to go in way over his head. I understand that he probably feels more at home writing things like MGS2 as opposed to MGS3, but really he's just better at writing stories that are more character driven. It's telling that the best parts of MGS4's story are by far all of the character conclusions in the ending. Kojima's just not the postmodern genius that he probably thought he was.

Foggle

I don't think Kojima considers himself a postmodern genius, tbh. I'm pretty sure he actually wanted Metal Gear Solid 1 to be the series' final entry, and was trying to troll both the fanbase and his publisher with the stupidity of MGS2. But that backfired due to its critical and commercial success, so he had to make a third one, which is reportedly the last time he truly wanted to work on the series until his time directing Peace Walker inspired him to make the fifth and final numbered MGS.

gunswordfist

Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 25, 2015, 03:36:35 PM
Liquid Snake can control Ocelot because his arm was attached to Ocelot? NOPE. OCELOT JUST MANIPULATED HIS NANOMACHINES TO MAKE PEOPLE THINK HE WAS LIQUID BECAUSE OF REASONS.
Wait, what?!  :whuh:

And at least out of all of this Konami bullshit, Kojima will FINALLY get to leave the series. He's far to creative to not be making new IPs. The MG series is about as old as I am, if not older

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 25, 2015, 03:48:47 PM
And at least out of all of this Konami bullshit, Kojima will FINALLY get to leave the series. He's far to creative to not be making new IPs. The MG series is about as old as I am, if not older
For real. But I'm actually glad they kept him on for so long, because MGS5 just looks godlike. This is going to be the stealth masterpiece of all time, and I'm betting it will change the entire landscape of the genre (and possibly even the industry as a whole).

gunswordfist

Oh yeah, I'm still selfish about MGS5. :shakeshakeshake: It honestly still hasn't hit me about how awesome that game is likely to be.

After that is said and done, I'm looking forward to seeing what Kojima will make next. A new horror or horror stealth title would be welcomed.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on August 25, 2015, 03:43:39 PM
I don't think Kojima considers himself a postmodern genius, tbh. I'm pretty sure he actually wanted Metal Gear Solid 1 to be the series' final entry, and was trying to troll both the fanbase and his publisher with the stupidity of MGS2. But that backfired due to its critical and commercial success, so he had to make a third one, which is reportedly the last time he truly wanted to work on the series until his time directing Peace Walker inspired him to make the fifth and final numbered MGS.

From what I hear, MGS2 was largely about taking expectations and completely reversing them, completely blurring reality itself in the process. You can kind of see this in the whole ending. Even Raiden's late reveal as the main character kind of fits the idea.

And I do genuinely believe Kojima wanted to tell a groundbreaking story about social engineering, censoring information, big political conspiracies, and all of that stuff. Kojima has always been one to try to go way outside the box. It's clear in all of his games, even if just in the gameplay. I can't praise his efforts with the story in MGS2, but I do have to admit that I kind of respect them. If nothing else, I truly believe he tried.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 25, 2015, 03:36:35 PM
:whuh:

That's what you get when you have to top the stupid crap from MGS2.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

:D

And it's a shame because I like Ocelot as a villain, but by the end of MGS4, his motivations simply don't add up. They were always unclear ever since MGS1, but it was MGS4's job to explain them. But by the end, I have no idea what his ultimate goal was. And it's not unclear in a cool and mysterious way, but rather, in a way that was intended to make sense but ended up just being unintentionally vague and weird.

What did pretending to be Liquid accomplish...? If someone asked me that question, then, as someone who has completed MGS4... I would still have no idea what to tell them.

Foggle

Ocelot is great in 1, 3, and seemingly 5. 2 and 4 though...