Beware The Batman

Started by Spark Of Spirit, October 04, 2011, 01:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobbyfan

Quote from: Cartoon X on October 24, 2013, 05:20:32 PM
...I'm not sure what your point is. While it sucks that serious action cartoons are being mistreated, and Beware the Batman's lack of promotion and now sudden pre-emption from the schedule aggravating, what lesson is there that Stuart Synder needs to learn? The fact is, Cartoon Network's current focus on eccentric/weird comedy series is working for them. In fact, it has led to some of the networks best ratings in years and that can't be denied. I'm not saying that Cartoon Network shouldn't be airing more action cartoons, and promoting them and rerunning them better. Obviously they should. What I'm saying is that I don't see what "history" Synder needs to remember; what is going to bring about the networks downfall by treating action cartoons like they have been doing? Because really...they seem to be doing plenty fine with the few they have, and wouldn't miss anything if they didn't air action cartoons at all, right now. The pendulum has just swung that way it seems, and action cartoons on pretty much all the major kids channels have been showing weaker ratings, and as a result they been treated less valuably and aired far less. This is a bad thing for us viewers, but not really for the network as far as it's executives are concerned, and I'm not sure what "history" is going to doom the network by treating Beware the Batman like the way they are doing.

Um, I was referring to last year, when CN yanked Young Justice & Green Lantern off the air around this same time and gave them a 2 months or so vacation. This only proves that Snyder's dumber than a bag of hammers to pull this crap again.

CN simply needs to find that happy medium, a balanced mix of action & comedy on the schedule, in order to get the action half of the equation back in gear.

LumRanmaYasha

That didn't "doom" the network, though. In fact, they barely felt the loss, and likely had decided to cancel those series well before that decision as well, and both those series were performing much, much better than Beware the Batman has too. For Synder, this isn't a stupid move, because he doesn't care about the show, it's giving nothing back to the network as far as ratings go that other series are not, and isn't a significant part of the schedule anyway. It sucks for us fans, but Cartoon Network doesn't find Beware the Batman valuable, and it won't hurt the network to take it off the schedule either.

Sad fact is that Cartoon Network doesn't "need" action cartoons, and they don't seem to want them either. It's why all their action cartoons are rerun only in the early mornings and why premieres are ghettoed in saturday mornings. I agree that the action portion of the schedule should be treated better and revitalized, but until Synder and the people who run Cartoon Network see an incentive to do so, it's likely not going to happen anytime soon.

gunswordfist

I am with Peanutbutter, I don't care if there were a billion Batman shows. In fact, there haven't been many Batshows over the years. There have been THREE Batman cartoons over the last 10 years. Just 3. If you also factor in Batman's outside-of-comics presence, he has had only 3 live action films, about 6 major video game release and like an average of 2 animated films a year over the last 10 or so years. That's light. Sure there should be other characters getting more spotlight but by no means should the Bat output be slowed down.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

They should be if they're over-saturating the market.

The fact is, they only rushed TB&TB to a close at 65 episodes to make this show for 65 episodes and then another after that and so on. I think this not doing well might be proof that people don't want to cycle through different Batman shows and get pushed from show to show.

Either that or like 'The Batman' proved, people are tired of a more serious Batman.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

The only thing The Batman proved is that The Batman sucked.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on October 28, 2013, 03:45:26 PM
You mean you didn't want BTAS again only not as good?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 28, 2013, 03:49:17 PM
I really don't know what happened with The Batman. They often had great writers working on it, but nearly every episode was a boring mess. I also thought the art was fairly unattractive. It's like the Avengers Assemble of DC cartoons.

gunswordfist

What? The only Batman show that got killed fast for another is TBATB. There is no cycle. BTAS got renewed after MOTP and that movie was supposed to be the end of that series so by no means did it die fast to make room for Batman Beyond. BB got cancelled. I don't know what happened to The Batman but Legion Of Superheroes died so that staff could do TBATB and LoS was obviously not a Batman show. There is no indication that BtB is dying for another Batman. There seems to be other reasons for that.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on October 28, 2013, 03:56:13 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 28, 2013, 03:49:17 PM
I really don't know what happened with The Batman. They often had great writers working on it, but nearly every episode was a boring mess. I also thought the art was fairly unattractive. It's like the Avengers Assemble of DC cartoons.
They wanted a more toyetic Batman show, but because of poor planning they lead to a lot of strange things because of the dumb "Bat embargo". Instead of making more BTAS episodes they thought a "fresh start" would bring in a bigger audience which didn't end up happening at all.

It's the same with the movie studios, they seem to think audiences like seeing origin stories and year ones all the time. Not to mention all the remakes of things nobody wants to see remade. (Who really wanted a Carrie remake when Salem's Lot and The Stand have no theatrical movies?)

The reason TB&TB was so popular because it was entirely different. Heck, we didn't even learn Batman's identity until season 2.

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 28, 2013, 03:58:12 PM
What? The only Batman show that got killed fast for another is TBATB. There is no cycle. BTAS got renewed after MOTP and that movie was supposed to be the end of that series so by no means did it die fast to make room for Batman Beyond. BB got cancelled. I don't know what happened to The Batman but Legion Of Superheroes died so that staff could do TBATB and LoS was obviously not a Batman show. There is no indication that BtB is dying for another Batman. There seems to be other reasons for that.
Do you think BTB would have lasted beyond 65 episodes? Because that's what I'm referring to.

If it's dying now, it's simply because audiences aren't interested.

gunswordfist

No but again, this is the only time they killed one Batshow for another. Them ending TBATB  fast for an inferior show is probably why BtB is tanking. Not because they are oversaturating the market. Not because they want to take the audience from show to show.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 28, 2013, 04:19:30 PM
No but again, this is the only time they killed one Batshow for another. Them ending TBATB  fast for an inferior show is probably why BtB is tanking. Not because they are oversaturating the market. Not because they want to take the audience from show to show.
I'm probably crossing my wires here, but if BtB is failing now then it definitely isn't because they have a new Batman show waiting in the wings. But I always thought the reason they stuck with Batman and refused to use any other hero is because "Batman sells". If this show isn't doing well then how true can that be?

I would wager either people are getting sick of Batman or the show is just lousy. I can't rightly judge either, but that's why I came to the "oversaturation" conclusion.

If audiences really preferred TB&TB and want a sillier Batman again, I'm not so certain shelving this and making a new goofier show will help. Does anyone really want "TB&TB but not as good"? We went through that with BTAS and TB. In short, I think somebody in charge misfired somewhere.

gunswordfist

Yeah, they misfired when they cancelled Brave. I think BtB's troubles have more to do with the quality of the show and not because people are suddenly sick of Batman. I actually expect a long wait (2 years?) between Batshows so that should completely end this oversaturation talk.

Avaitor

There was a very strong reception for the season of The Batman where Robin first joined. Even then, the show never rose beyond being BTAS-lite.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

I completely lost interest in The Batman by the time Robin showed up in season 4; season 2 was actually the last season of The Batman where I enjoyed more episodes than I didn't. It also didn't help that season 5 was easily the worst season, imo.

Spark Of Spirit

I remember season 1 being snooze-worthy, season 2 being pretty good, season 3 being disappointing, season 4 being a step up, and season 5 being lame. But that was a while ago. All in all, it averages out to being pretty mediocre.

The movie was pretty good, though. Shame TB&TB didn't get a movie like The Batman did.