Popular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Spark Of Spirit, June 24, 2014, 06:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I don't think Invader Zim is that great.

*Popular opinion being that most people have never heard of it*
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Rynnec

Invader Zim was a good show that was cut short, and its half-hour episodes are easily its best.

Kill la Kill was the best anime of 2013

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure was the best anime of 2012

Puella Magi Madoka Magica is the best anime of 2011

Black Lagoon is a great series

Blue Exorcist is a bland shounenshit anime that focuses on the least interesting characters and has shitty music that should never be in a show about Demons

The Sonic OVA is awesome, and that should've been turned into a full series than Sonic X

Spawn:TAS is better than the live-action movie.

Avaitor

SpongeBob SquarePants is an inferior Rocko's Modern Life.

The first 5 movies are more or less Disney's finest, even if more interesting princesses than Snow White were invented.

Sleeping Beauty would be a lot better if it had a clearer protagonist, and really, if Aurora and Philip had stronger personalities.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Avaitor on June 25, 2014, 11:28:46 AM

Is that really a popular opinion? Pretty much everyone I know in daily life who like both like the Sponge more.

Avaitor

Quote from: Cartoon X on June 25, 2014, 12:22:20 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on June 25, 2014, 11:28:46 AM

Is that really a popular opinion? Pretty much everyone I know in daily life who like both like the Sponge more.
It is to me. ;)

Inferior =/= bad, though
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

In recent years, it's quietly become a popular opinion that Daria is one case where the spin-off is superior to the original.

As it should be.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on August 04, 2014, 11:05:12 AM
In recent years, it's quietly become a popular opinion that Daria is one case where the spin-off is superior to the original.

As it should be.
In the same way, despite certain corners of his fanbase, it is more or less agreed that KOTH was the better Mike Judge show in general.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Rynnec on June 25, 2014, 03:24:46 AM
The Sonic OVA is awesome, and that should've been turned into a full series than Sonic X

Just noticed this. Is that really a popular opinion? I feel like the people who have seen it (which isn't a huge number) seem to think it's just "pretty good", an opinion on it that I myself hold.

But yeah, my popular opinion is that, at the very least, Sonic X was bad.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Why is it so damn hard to get a decent Sonic cartoon? And no, I don't consider Sonic SatAM to be very good. It was a nice effort, and arguably good for its time, but the writing of that show just hasn't aged well. I've heard that the comics are better, and maybe that's true, but I've seen enough of the show to know that it's not what I want from a Sonic cartoon. The OVA came closest in tone and execution to what I'd expect from a decent Sonic cartoon.

I honestly lost track of Sonic Boom, so I'm not even sure if that aired already, but regardless, it doesn't look up my alley either.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 18, 2014, 09:12:44 PM
Quote from: Rynnec on June 25, 2014, 03:24:46 AM

Just noticed this. Is that really a popular opinion? I feel like the people who have seen it (which isn't a huge number) seem to think it's just "pretty good", an opinion on it that I myself hold.

But yeah, my popular opinion is that, at the very least, Sonic X was bad.
The OVA had the best framework. Tone, art style, music, action, and comedy were all as close to the classic games as you can get without going too dark or too goofy.

SatAM was too serious and not much like the games, AoSTH had even less to do with the games and was too wacky, and Sonic X was just a misfire. Nobody even knows what the deal was with Sonic Underground.

The OVA hit closest to the target. So, of course, they didn't go ahead with making it a show.

Avaitor

-Chris Savino and Mike Scully aren't very good show runners.
-Johnny Bravo is rather inconsistent overall, but when the show was good, and even the last episodes have some ON episodes, it's one of Cartoon Network's finest.
-Sheep in the Big City deserved at least another season or two.
-Ed, Edd n' Eddy could have handled at least one more strong season, if the "bonus" episode is any indication, but it ended at exactly the right time.
-Even if you're not a fan of most of their shows, it's hard to argue that Cartoon Network is in a better place now then it was 5+ years ago, or Nickelodeon has been in the past decade or so.
-Although a lot of the shows from the era aren't perfect, the first handful of Nicktoons do deserve credit for having a wide range of tone, style, and atmosphere from each other. While most of Disney and Warner's cartoons from the same period were also good, you could tell that they came form the same company, while Doug, Rugrats, and Ren & Stimpy each feel like day and night from each other. Things only started to blend together during Klasky-Csupo overload, and even then, Angry Beavers and SpongeBob felt nothing like those shows.
-Time has been very good to the first 9 seasons of The Simpsons, parts of the first aside. Watch an episode from then right now, and you can see why.
-King of the Hill is mighty consistent.
-The reason that Warner's theatrical short characters have endured more than Disney's in terms of character, not as mascots, is beyond just Disney's weak television scheduling- the Looney Tunes are just better than Disney's stuff.
-The good Hanna-Barbera shows are still mostly good, but as we started getting more and more fully animated series on TV, it's obvious why the studio is barely relevant nowadays.
-Laika are great, and should be supported at all costs.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Good stuff. I agree.

Quote from: Avaitor on September 18, 2014, 10:20:26 PM-Although a lot of the shows from the era aren't perfect, the first handful of Nicktoons do deserve credit for having a wide range of tone, style, and atmosphere from each other. While most of Disney and Warner's cartoons from the same period were also good, you could tell that they came form the same company, while Doug, Rugrats, and Ren & Stimpy each feel like day and night from each other. Things only started to blend together during Klasky-Csupo overload, and even then, Angry Beavers and SpongeBob felt nothing like those shows.
This was Nick's strength, I agree. They always had variety and options, and always appeared to be interested in trying new things. Hence Avatar, the Power Rangers acquisition, and the new TMNT show. They do try.

Or I should say, tried. Nick has barely been trying much at all the past couple of years. How many originals do they have currently running on a regular basis? How many are different from each other? How many are actually worth watching?

I could throw in N@N and wonder why it's basically become the Friends block, but I guess airing one show constantly is what they're best at now.

Avaitor

Apparently Full House does better on N@N than Friends does.

But this isn't the right thread for that. ;)

New blog!