Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Fair enough.

What is you guys' favorite review of the Critic?

Avaitor

I'm typically partial to his reviews of movies or TV shows that I remember watching at some point, like Full House, Kazaam!, Space Jam, and the DiC cartoons. I also really like his Raiders of the Lost Story Ark episodes, and I wish he'd do more of them.

I don't like most of his collaborations, but I love the Coming Out of Our Shells video review with the Nerd. I think they both had a strong bond with each other that really worked.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on October 11, 2011, 09:14:10 AM
I'm typically partial to his reviews of movies or TV shows that I remember watching at some point, like Full House, Kazaam!, Space Jam, and the DiC cartoons. I also really like his Raiders of the Lost Story Ark episodes, and I wish he'd do more of them.

I don't like most of his collaborations, but I love the Coming Out of Our Shells video review with the Nerd. I think they both had a strong bond with each other that really worked.

I like pretty much all the ones here. I'm also a big fan of Red Sonja. Not a lot of people seem to remember that here, but I thought it was hilarious. The animated Titanic ones were gold too.

Avaitor

I decided to rewatch Red Sonja along with the Conan reviews when the new movie came out. It does hold up a little better than I remember. I don't think it's a favorite, but I do like it.

And the Titanic reviews are great.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

No-Personality

Oh, I'm flat-out addicted to that site. Every week, I can't wait for the latest reviews by Nostalgia Chick, Phelous, Obscurus Lupa, and Oancitizen. I also LOVE Pushing Up Roses, I enjoy Welshy's videos (well- I usually only watch his horror reviews but I like those a lot), and every now and then enjoy a good Nostalgia Critic review but to be honest, yeah he's dropped in my rank of favorite videomakers for the site.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, Doug's 1st Movie is this week's review. The reason that I posted this up in particular is because surprisingly I found this to be his funniest review in a while. Most of the NC's output has been passable or just OK for the past year or so, but something about this review really just got me laughing out loud, and it felt very much like a classic NC review in terms of its humor. This one really entertained me, and to me its the best review he's done in a long time.

Avaitor

I agree, it's by far his best in a while.

I think Doug's blind hatred for the show sells it, and the awkwardness of the movie in particular helps to make for a great experience. I haven't seen the movie in years, but I forgot just how weird it was.

New blog!

Avaitor

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

I remember saying this on Twitter; it wasn't suited at all for him. NC's been at that point where he's just been reviewing obscure kids movies that nobody heard about even when they were on theaters, and he managed to go narrower. The Doug review was the first time in a while I laughed at his stuff mostly because it was something I was nostalgic for (as well as his crazed hatred toward it). Here, it just feels kind of phoned in.

Avaitor

Exactly. The movie seems like Cinema Snob or Obscurus Lupa territory, not Nostalgia Critic. He really doesn't seem to fit in doing things that aren't in his repertoire like this or his Let's Play.

On top of that, a lot of his basic reviews lately just aren't that funny. I honestly wouldn't mind if he took a small break or something to maybe find better things to review or get some air. I think he could probably use it.

New blog!

talonmalon333

I think one of the Critic's main problems is that he tends to drag out jokes way too long. He'll say something funny and I'll laugh... but then he keeps the joke going and it'll totally wear out it's welcome. It just becomes awkward.

Another thing is that he, like the Angry Video Game Nerd, is kind of a visual artist. But unlike the Nerd, he doesn't seem to realize it. So for moments where a look can sum up the horrendous of a film, he'll just go on a lame rant.

Just my thoughts. He's still funny though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

You know, while I have a lot of respect for James Rolfe and love most of his output....his Nerd videos are now actually my least favorite thing that he does. I mean, I used to like them a while ago, but upon re-watching some of his "classic" episodes, I'm wondering just what the hell I found funny about those? I mean, he's had some good jokes and some funny reactions from strange stuff he witnesses in crappy games, but 90% of his Nerd videos ARE extremely long rants with excessive cursing and pointless toilet humor. I mean, that's not funny, its just cursing a lot and using disgusting imagery, and it actually makes Rolfe seem less sophisticated than he really is, though I guess that's part of the point. As far as I'm concerned, though, I'd easily take a film retrospective video or Monster Madness month over his Nerd videos any day, personally. That's just my opinion, though. As I said, I still adore pretty much all of Rolfe's other video output and I'm glad that he does way more of that now than actual Nerd videos. Though I do respect his efforts in making the AVGN movie and hope that it goes well for him and that fans who enjoy his Nerd videos enjoy the feature-length film. As for me, though, I think I'll just stick to Monster Madness and such.

Dr. Insomniac

Avaitor

I really like his Raiders of the Lost Story Arc episodes. Those are always very interesting to me, since I'm familiar with all the shows he's used thus far.

And watching this makes me want to pull out my STAS DVDs now.

New blog!

Avaitor

Have I mentioned that I hate this song? Because I do.

Hilarious review.

New blog!