Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Okay, he reviewed Moulin Rouge!.

I've actually grown to really appreciate this movie, so I'm not sure how I'm going to like this review.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Despite bearing no ill will toward Moulin Rouge, I quite liked it.

Daxdiv

I never watched Moulin Rouge and I'm only watching this review for Brentalfloss.

Avaitor

It was actually not as bad as I was expecting. I think the movie's a little better than they give it credit for (it has it's fair share of script problems, no question, but the sheer audacity and skill put into the production of the film is worth plenty of merit, and the musical sequences work more often than not), but they raise a lot of good points throughout.

I can even tolerate the Critic's use of overcrowding this reviews with guest reviewers this time, due to the exceeded length and subject matter to tackle. Although having 3 reviewers was pushing it a little.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Have I seen Moulin Rouge? I can't remember, really. I'm familiar with "Come What May" from it though, which is an awesome song.

talonmalon333

Ouch!

I'd like to hear some responses. I'm assuming some, if not most, of the people here have seen the Critic's video on The Lion King? He made some pretty big claims there, about the movie's storyline supposedly conflicting with the message it's trying to get across. And we all love Lion King, so I'd like to hear what some of you guys think. Is he right? Is he missing wrong? Is he just totally missing the point, like he's always done with Scar? :P

Commode

He did a video on TLK?  When was this?  I figured that'd be one of those movies he would've refused to do.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

talonmalon333

Quote from: SNES Chalmers on December 24, 2011, 08:47:16 PM
He did a video on TLK?  When was this?  I figured that'd be one of those movies he would've refused to do.

This month he's doing short videos for most of the Disney animated films.

Avaitor

Like I said on tz, if I was doing these videos, I'd be a little more forgiving to The Lion King, and a heck of a lot less forgiving to Beauty and the Beast.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on December 24, 2011, 10:59:55 PM
Like I said on tz, if I was doing these videos, I'd be a little more forgiving to The Lion King, and a heck of a lot less forgiving to Beauty and the Beast.

What do you think on what he says about the message?

Avaitor

Hard to say, I do see how he has a point with the message(if you don't know what we're talking about, the vid's on here. You can find the rest on the TGWTG "Specials" page), but at the same time, I feel that the scene goes by a little too fast to further hit on that point, and could only do so much.

I'm too drowsy to try to make a better argument, but basically I'm on the fence with Doug's point.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on December 25, 2011, 03:44:39 AM
Hard to say, I do see how he has a point with the message(if you don't know what we're talking about, the vid's on here. You can find the rest on the TGWTG "Specials" page), but at the same time, I feel that the scene goes by a little too fast to further hit on that point, and could only do so much.

I'm too drowsy to try to make a better argument, but basically I'm on the fence with Doug's point.

One part of his point that I don't think makes sense is when he mentions how the lions don't back Simba up... I mean, for all they know he DID kill Mufasa. Of course they're in an awkward position.

And I always thought the big part of facing his fears is going back.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, everyone has their own opinions, and I can respect Doug's take on the film. It does have its flaws, but while I was always aware of them they were the types of flaws that never really bothered me personally. Plus, Doug clearly shows his bias in how he is so quick to point out TLK's faults, but clearly forgave just about everything TB&TB did wrong, obviously because he prefers that film. Really, for as many faults as he pointed out with TLK (and to be fair, most of them are valid, though there are a couple I really disagree with him on), I could just as easily point out twice as many big problems that any of the other Disney films from that era had, so for all he says about TLK being overrated because it has flaws, its not like the other Disney films were that much more perfect. Also, I really disagree with him that TLK botched its message. In some regards I can see what he's talking about, but I really interpreted that scene which he saw as a flaw quite differently, myself. At any rate, that's just my own opinion, but I love this film. I also love pretty much all of its songs to varying degrees, but there isn't a single one that I dislike. By contrast, I felt that TB&TB's songs were mostly forgettable except for the obvious one.

Anyways, that's all just my opinion.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 25, 2011, 08:17:04 PMAlso, I really disagree with him that TLK botched its message. In some regards I can see what he's talking about, but I really interpreted that scene which he saw as a flaw quite differently, myself.

I'm interested in hearing your interpretation.

Commode

One problem I have with the movie, and it's actually more of a problem regarding the sequel than the original, is where did all the other Scar loyal lions come from, and where the hell were they during the fight at the end?  Throughout the whole first movie all we see is Scar and an endless amount of hyena followers(with of course the three main ones) and that's all that participates in that climactic battle.  But then in the second movie a whole new pack of lions shows up, claims they were loyal to Scar, claims that Kovu is the true heir, and claims they were exiled by Simba.  But where the fuck did they come from, were they just made up on the spot?  To me, I think it would've been better if some of these Scar-loyal lions had shown up in that battle, instead of just a bunch of hyenas.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.