Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Eh, I think NC's review for The Room contains all of his irritating cliches- unnecessary cameos, lame extended gags, ungodly annoying overreacting, etc.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on March 15, 2012, 02:58:54 PM
Eh, I think NC's review for The Room contains all of his irritating cliches- unnecessary cameos, lame extended gags, ungodly annoying overreacting, etc.

Well yeah, that's what I've been saying for years. The NC isn't that funny. :P

The reason I like his review is cause... well... the movie's funny. Anyone can take a hilariously bad movie and make a funny review out of it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The problem with the NC is that the style of humor he created has just gotten old and so over-used. Not just by him, but by the numerous other people on his site that basically follow that same review-style formula. Also he now tends to rely WAY too much on stuff like Internet memes and running gags that were never that funny to begin with. I think his earlier reviews are still fairly funny because of 2 main things: They were far shorter than his current episodes, but MUCH better paced as he didn't waste any time and obviously only kept in his best jokes (those videos also avoided dragging on and staying past their welcome), and the other thing that made them funny was strangely enough that they had "less" to them, or rather they were much simpler but benefited from it (that is to say that they weren't crammed with pointless memes and lame running gags). I also find that some of the movies that he chooses to tackle in his more recent reviews to be baffling choices. I mean, when he reviews stuff like The Cell or The Blair Witch Project 2 they just feel totally out of place given the whole concept of what his reviews are supposed to be about. Don't get me wrong, they are bad movies, but they are hardly nostalgic for either him or most people, as those aren't stuff that people remember watching as kids, and its not something that the NC is very good at critiquing in a humorous way. Also, movie choices like those are just bad material to use if you want to make a comedic review.

Now, he DOES still occasionally produce a good and funny video or 2 every once in a while, like with his review of the Doug movie (which really felt close to a classic NC style review, IMO), but overall most of the changes that he has made to his review style over the year have been for the worse, and most of what has stayed the same has just become stale. I suppose its unavoidable in general that the whole NC thing would become tiring, but personally I blame it mostly on his poor choice of movie material to review and his over-reliance on memes and running jokes.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 15, 2012, 06:36:06 PM
The problem with the NC is that the style of humor he created has just gotten old and so over-used. Not just by him, but by the numerous other people on his site that basically follow that same review-style formula. Also he now tends to rely WAY too much on stuff like Internet memes and running gags that were never that funny to begin with. I think his earlier reviews are still fairly funny because of 2 main things: They were far shorter than his current episodes, but MUCH better paced as he didn't waste any time and obviously only kept in his best jokes (those videos also avoided dragging on and staying past their welcome), and the other thing that made them funny was strangely enough that they had "less" to them, or rather they were much simpler but benefited from it (that is to say that they weren't crammed with pointless memes and lame running gags). I also find that some of the movies that he chooses to tackle in his more recent reviews to be baffling choices. I mean, when he reviews stuff like The Cell or The Blair Witch Project 2 they just feel totally out of place given the whole concept of what his reviews are supposed to be about. Don't get me wrong, they are bad movies, but they are hardly nostalgic for either him or most people, as those aren't stuff that people remember watching as kids, and its not something that the NC is very good at critiquing in a humorous way. Also, movie choices like those are just bad material to use if you want to make a comedic review.

Now, he DOES still occasionally produce a good and funny video or 2 every once in a while, like with his review of the Doug movie (which really felt close to a classic NC style review, IMO), but overall most of the changes that he has made to his review style over the year have been for the worse, and most of what has stayed the same has just become stale. I suppose its unavoidable in general that the whole NC thing would become tiring, but personally I blame it mostly on his poor choice of movie material to review and his over-reliance on memes and running jokes.

Yeah, I agree with everything here. Other than the occasional gem (I recently rewatched his Doug review, and it's indeed excellent), his recent reviews just don't compare to his old classics, like Pokemon the First Movie, or Titanic the Animated Movie.

The Critic's at his best when he's subdued. Just listen to his "That's a lot of fish" rant from Godzilla. The whole rant is perfect, but the last part of it ("THIIIIIIIINK!") feels forced.

Peanutbutter

So recently we've had a new Top 11, an Old vs New last week, and a crossover with Sage that turned out pretty good. Next week is a Raiders of the Story Arc for the first five episodes of Transformers. It's good to see Doug changing things up a bit again finally.

Peanutbutter

By the way, what do you all think about them going for sci-fi for this year's anniversary? It might turn out okay, but honestly half of Star Trek Month wasn't good, including Linkara's crossover (which sucks considering the Superman IV review was one of the NCs best episodes); so I'm going to remain cautious about this until we see previews.

On that note, what would you guys prefer they do for next year's anniversary and so on? I personally think an easy one that could turn out well would be if they did a road trip style movie, where they have to get to a special event like Comic-Con or an important appearance for a fictional media conglomerate that would get TGWTG.com mainstream attention. Ideally, it would just be The Critic, Linkara, Cinema Snob, Spooney, and/or Todd in the Shadows (since by default they're still the overall best in comparison to the hacks they have) with the Nostalgia Chick and her friends plus the other reviewers trying to stall for them.

Avaitor

I think you all need to see this one.

Although to be fair, from what I understand, Whedon only wrote the first draft of Resurrection, and that got ripped to shreds. Dunno how much he can be blamed for it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I liked seeing NC pick apart this movie, though to be honest that's because of how much I detest this movie in general, more than the NC's jokes being really funny, which in my case they were but only because I really just wanted to see him rip the movie to shreds. If I didn't care about the Alien franchise or hadn't seen this movie it'd probably just be an average review to me, but in this case it was fun to watch.

I'm kind of pissed that NC put Gladiator with those other movies of Ridley Scott's as a bad movie, though. I know he hates it, but there's a difference between him hating it and it being bad. Gladiator is great, IMO. The NC can go shove that opinion of his up his ass for all I care. :P

Avaitor

Gladiator>Braveheart

Both are solid, though.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Brak's Dad on May 08, 2012, 10:04:45 PM
Gladiator>Braveheart

Both are solid, though.
Disagreed.

I wish he would have tackled Alien 3. Fanfiction has rarely ever been so terrible.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 08, 2012, 10:10:16 PM
Quote from: Brak's Dad on May 08, 2012, 10:04:45 PM
Gladiator>Braveheart

Both are solid, though.
Disagreed.
Agreed. I love Braveheart just a little bit more than Gladiator.

Avaitor

Gladiator clicked a little more for me. Can't really put my finger on why.

We can at least agree that they're both better than Passion, right?

New blog!

Lord Dalek

They're both overblown vanity projects with scripts that are the equivalence of nails on a chalkboard. Can't see which is "better".

...as for Alien Resurrection. A meh review. I do find it interesting that Doug took umbridge with everything I find deeply hilarious about that movie.

Foggle

Quote from: Brak's Dad on May 08, 2012, 10:18:09 PM
We can at least agree that they're both better than Passion, right?
Ugh, Passion...

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Lord Dalek on May 08, 2012, 10:22:19 PM
They're both overblown vanity projects with scripts that are the equivalence of nails on a chalkboard. Can't see which is "better".
Yeah, I tried watching both films and couldn't get into either. They were just bland to me. Blasphemer.