Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 09, 2012, 01:39:58 PM
I never knew he had any involvement with Toy Story at all. Did he actually have anything to do with the screenplay for that movie?
The "More tea, Mrs. Nesbitt" line was his.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 09, 2012, 04:56:23 PM
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 09, 2012, 01:39:58 PM
I never knew he had any involvement with Toy Story at all. Did he actually have anything to do with the screenplay for that movie?
The "More tea, Mrs. Nesbitt" line was his.
Awesome.

Avaitor

Eh, since I'm in a list making mood

Top 10 Best Picture Winners

10- The Best Years of Our Lives
9- The Bridge on the River Kwai
8- All About Eve
7- Schindler's List
6- All Quiet on the Western Front
5- Amadeus
4- The Godfather/The Godfather Part II
3- Casablanca
2- Lawrence of Arabia
1- The Apartment

Honorable mention goes to The Artist.

Top 5 Least Deserving Winners

5- The Life of Emile Zola
4- A Beautiful Mind
3- The Broadway Melody
2- Cimarron
1- The Best Show on Earth

Most Overrated Winner

On the Waterfront

Winner that Gets the Most Unwarranted Hate

How Green Was My Valley

And just cause, Best Musical Winner

My Fair Lady
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

A Beautiful Mind was soooo boring. Nothin' beautiful about that one.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 09, 2012, 08:56:03 PM
A Beautiful Mind was soooo boring. Nothin' beautiful about that one.
:)

Quote from: Brak's Dad on May 09, 2012, 08:57:21 PM
Sorry, I hate Brando outside of his work with Coppola.
:(

Avaitor

One more list.

Top 5 Reasons Why the Academy Means Shit

5- Tex Avery never won an Oscar
4- William Powell never won an Oscar
3- Stanley Kubrick was never nominated for an Oscar, let alone won one
2- Cary Grant was never nominated for an Oscar, let alone win a competitive one
1- Alfred Hitchcock never won an Oscar

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

How long did it even take Paul Newman to get one?

It seems like the Academy spends every year just trying to catch up.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The Academy seems more preoccupied with trying to pick the snobbiest films to win their best awards rather than actually judging films based on....you know, how good they actually are. I've seen a ton of well-made films get snuffed for overrated "artistic" garbage that barely appeals to anyone other than the pretentious ass-holes who make shit like that. I'm looking at you, Out of Africa.

Lord Dalek

A list of my own...

TOP 10 "WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING?!?" BEST PICTURE WINNERS

10. The Silence of the Lambs (This doesn't mean it didn't deserve it)
09. Braveheart (seriously, Babe was a better movie)
08. How Green Was My Valley (of course we know exactly what they were thinking as Hearst had practically rigged the awards that year)
07. Crash (and I actually like this movie)
06. The English Patient (even in a year where nearly all the nominees were indie flicks, they still gave it to this boring, maudlin bodice ripper)
05. Shakespeare in Love (major upset does not begin to describe this baffling decision)
04. A Beautiful Mind (OH WE CAN'T GIVE IT TO FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING! THAT WOULD MAKE A WIN FOR RETURN OF THE KING MEANINGLESS!...fuck you guys)
03. Forest Gump (STILL BURNS)
02. Out of Africa (OH NOES! ITZ TEH RACISM!!!)
01. The Greatest Show on Earth (See #9 but replace William Randolph Hearst with HUAC)

Avaitor

Oh god, I forgot about Crash. That should make my worst list. They seriously should've just titled it Everyone's Racist: The Movie.

And I honestly think that if Katzenberg didn't second guess Lion King during its production and gave it more of a push during Oscar season, not only would it have been nominated for Best Picture, it would've won. I don't think that any movie has had the crossover appeal that it has, animated or otherwise.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Lord Dalek on May 10, 2012, 07:27:07 AM

I think the movie was great. I forget what else was competing with it for best picture, though, so I'm not sure if there was anything else that deserved it more than this film did, but this is a great film either way.

Quote09. Braveheart (seriously, Babe was a better movie)

I like this movie, but it certainly didn't deserve best picture.

Quote07. Crash (and I actually like this movie)

I hate this movie and still think its one of the worst best picture winners I have ever seen.

Quote04. A Beautiful Mind (OH WE CAN'T GIVE IT TO FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING! THAT WOULD MAKE A WIN FOR RETURN OF THE KING MEANINGLESS!...fuck you guys)

To be fair, I don't think that Fellowship of the Ring deserved to win best picture, either (and I like that movie), but I agree that this film was boring.

Quote03. Forest Gump (STILL BURNS)

I love this movie. It totally deserved to win.

Quote02. Out of Africa (OH NOES! ITZ TEH RACISM!!!)

If Crash was one of the worst best picture winners that I have ever seen, you can go ahead and quote me as calling this the worst best picture winner in history. On top of that I just flat-out don't like any aspect of it as a film. It is by far one of the most boring movies I have ever seen in my entire life, and I have tried to get into it on at least 3 different occasions.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 10, 2012, 12:46:13 PM
Quote from: Lord Dalek on May 10, 2012, 07:27:07 AM

I think the movie was great. I forget what else was competing with it for best picture, though, so I'm not sure if there was anything else that deserved it more than this film did, but this is a great film either way.
This. Exactly this. As far as I know, Silence definitely deserved the win.

Lord Dalek

I have no problem with SOTL winning Best Picture in 92. In fact it might be that rare occasion where they got it dead on. However a lot of people were probably expecting it to be a long shot against JFK or Beauty and the Beast which created the whole wtf factor.