Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I wonder if this means that he'll also finally put up his Blues Brothers and Doomsday Machine reviews (which were both also DVD-exclusive).

I've got to admit, as stale as the NC was getting, it feels really strange to know that I won't have a new NC video to watch each week. It sort of became a habit of mine and I did still admittedly look forward to seeing his next review with every new week.

That said, I'll have to find a replacement weekly online video reviewer to replace the NC. Something just doesn't feel right unless I have a new video to look forward to every week. In my busy and hectic schedule, its one of the only leisurely things I get to do all week (which is really sad, but that's what life is like in my 5th year of Pharmacy college).

Dr. Insomniac

That said, I'll have to find a replacement weekly online video reviewer to replace the NC. Something just doesn't feel right unless I have a new video to look forward to every week. In my busy and hectic schedule, its one of the only leisurely things I get to do all week (which is really sad, but that's what life is like in my 5th year of Pharmacy college).
SFDebris.

Goldstar

QuoteI've got to admit, as stale as the NC was getting, it feels really strange to know that I won't have a new NC video to watch each week. It sort of became a habit of mine and I did still admittedly look forward to seeing his next review with every new week.

That said, I'll have to find a replacement weekly online video reviewer to replace the NC. Something just doesn't feel right unless I have a new video to look forward to every week.

They're working on that. From what I've gathered, Doug and company are grooming the upcoming Demo Reel to be the new main attraction at TGWTG instead of Nostalgia Critic. Of course, we don't know when that's going to be ready. In the meantime, might I suggest Game Overthinker?
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Silverstar

Obscurus Lupa Presents, also on TGWTWG, is a good NC substitute, IMHO. She reviews Z-grade movies, usually camp horror, quirky comedy, low-budget fantasy or just all-around cheap flicks, the kind of stuff they used to show on USA's Up All Night. Most of them are pretty darn obscure, but they're often so jaw-droppingly terrible that they're a riot, and Lupa's comments are funny, though her persona and delivery are completely different from Doug's: she doesn't rant or scream, rather she seems to enjoy the utter campiness of the movies she reviews, so it makes for a nice change of pace.

Atop the 4th Wall is also good, though I don't read comics so I don't watch Linkara's stuff unless it's an iconic hero that I know or something that looks really bad or cheap (like Marville or Tandy Computer Whiz Kids). Plus, Linkara likes to incorporate ongoing stories and sagas in his reviews, which can be distracting and hard to follow unless you watch his stuff ritually.

QuoteIn the meantime, might I suggest Game Overthinker?

Yeah, funny thing: a lot of the good online shows nowadays are video game related: GO, Unskippable, Assist Me, JonTron Show (though Jon hasn't been doing his own show for a while now since he started doing The Game Grumps, which is funny, but like most Let's Plays, tends to run on for a bit.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Dr. Insomniac

I'm still shilling SFDebris. Even if you don't like Star Trek, his reviews offer an amazing depth of criticism while still having dry wit.

Avaitor

And I still say give Todd a shot. I'm sure you can find at least one song he reviews that you want to see receive a bashing if you check his page out.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Silverstar

Quote from: Avaitor on September 20, 2012, 01:09:23 PM
And I still say give Todd a shot. I'm sure you can find at least one song he reviews that you want to see receive a bashing if you check his page out.

Yeah, I forgot to mention Todd in the Shadows. I just started watching his videos last year, but he's good.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Doug just posted up a Top 11 list of his favorite Nostalgia Critic episodes (obviously as himself, since the Critic character is now officially retired).

Avaitor

11- Good one! This is one of his better later ones, IMO.
10- I adore this thing. The fact that it was made astounds me.
9- Wow, Doug hated this one. I don't blame him though- the original is a classic.
8- Definitely one of my personal favorites.
7- I... kind of don't remember this review. I remember the rock monster singing "Born to Be Wild" and Jack Black randomly being in there. That's it.
6- This was a good one. I still wanted to see him tackle the sequel.
5- I. LOVE. THESE.
4- This had some good moments, but the only thing that made this review really memorable was Mara Wilson. So I think it's a little high, but the story behind hetting her on here makes it worth being here alone. If you guys haven't, check out the commentary for this review. It's really worth listening to.
3- I tend to really like the reviews of movies or shows that I saw as a kid, so yeah, this is no exception. Why this movie got made is beyond me.
2- Another one I saw as a kid! This one I actually liked though. But the review is cute.
1- Well if nothing else, this took a LOT of effort. And I don't even mind all the cameos. Not my #1,but hey.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on September 26, 2012, 12:35:27 PM
4- This had some good moments, but the only thing that made this review really memorable was Mara Wilson. So I think it's a little high, but the story behind hetting her on here makes it worth being here alone. If you guys haven't, check out the commentary for this review. It's really worth listening to.
1- Well if nothing else, this took a LOT of effort. And I don't even mind all the cameos. Not my #1,but hey.

Views are probably different when you're the creator of something, as your opinions would be a mixture between the quality of the video, and your memories from putting it together. Basically, all that work put into Moulin Rouge! (which I actually consider a solid film), or working with Mara Wilson (who, let's admit, was fantastic).

I felt like trying to put together my own favorite NC episode list. I tried to do a top 10, but because I wasn't able to narrow it down enough going with a tradition of the character, I decided to list 11 episodes instead. Needless to say, it's far from concrete.

1. Titanic: The Animated Movie
2. Red Sonja
3. The Legend of the Titanic
4. Commando
5. Quest for Camelot
6. Jingle All the Way
7. Tom and Jerry: The Movie
8. We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story
9. Nostalgic Commercials!
10. Godzilla
11. Gordy

I also gave some thought to Doug's 1st Movie, Short Circuit: Parts 1 and 2, The Good Son, FernGully: The Last Rainforest, and Care Bears II: A New Generation. In my opinion, 2009 was the NC's best year.

Avaitor

I don't know if I could make a top 11 list, but my favorite review of his is Full House.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on September 27, 2012, 11:40:31 AM
I don't know if I could make a top 11 list, but my favorite review of his is Full House.

Been a while since I've seen that one. Might give it a rewatch.

Dr. Insomniac

I liked his Garbage Pail Kids review. That was one where true rage and passion was definitely shown throughout.

Avaitor

Yeahhh, after watching the actual film, I can easily see why he hated that movie so much.

But it's great to watch with a bunch of friends.

"Watch out for Jews!"

New blog!