Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, Suede, Linkara, and JewWario got together again and finally did their review of the second Pokemon movie. This one is also really good, though admittedly I feel that most of the humor in these videos comes from the nostalgia of seeing the older Pokemon movies and then picking apart all of the things that are wrong with them, while still showing that they enjoy the movies as fans of the series.

talonmalon333

Think I asked this a while ago. But it got buried under the news about the NC's retirement.

What do you guys think of his Old vs. New series, and what its best episode is?

Avaitor

Yeah, you picked a kind of inappropriate time to ask something like that.  :P

And eh, his Old vs. New series was pretty dull to me, IMO. The only thing I really found interesting about them is that he went with the newer choices more often than the originals.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Same as Avaitor, really.

I understand the purpose of such a sub-series, but in the end it wasn't up to his usual quality. For instance, I wouldn't ever put any of them in a best of list.

Though I would have liked to see one of the old Garfield cartoon versus the new one.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on October 02, 2012, 09:03:51 PM
Yeah, you picked a kind of inappropriate time to ask something like that.  :P

And eh, his Old vs. New series was pretty dull to me, IMO. The only thing I really found interesting about them is that he went with the newer choices more often than the originals.

Sorry. :sweat:

I really enjoyed the Willy Wonka/Charlie video if only cause it was comedic. Other than that, I think he gave an adequate comparison with the King Kong movies. From the vids I remember, the LotR one was the weakest because he tried to make a legit comparison between a masterpiece and... garbage.

But yeah, none of them came remotely close to his best episodes.

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 02, 2012, 09:10:06 PM
Though I would have liked to see one of the old Garfield cartoon versus the new one.
Oh come on, we know that would come out with the same result as if he went with an OvN on The Hunting- old wins.

If he gave the new one more of a shot, I think one for the two TMNT series would've been good though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Once again I'm in the minority and disagree with all of you completely. The Old vs. New was a fresh concept for a sub-series by the NC, and while he was clearly biased it was intentional and meant to be opinionated anyways. I enjoyed seeing his opinions on various old films and their newer iterations, even if I didn't always agree with him. I think my favorite one that he did was his Old vs. New between The Ten Commandments and The Prince of Egypt, and I didn't even agree with him on that one, but it was interesting just to hear his reasoning for preferring one over the other. Truth be told, I wish he had done some more of them, as there are other old movies and their remakes that I would have liked to see him tackle (such as 3:10 to Yuma, for example). I suppose what you guys find dull I actually find to have been his most interesting sub-series, and honestly these videos were a nice break from his usual style of reviews.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 02, 2012, 09:19:03 PM
I think my favorite one that he did was his Old vs. New between The Ten Commandments and The Prince of Egypt,

How'd I forget that one? Might actually be my favorite, too.

Spark Of Spirit

I dunno, I might have preferred old vs new if it was like TGWTG or the bum where it was a different thing instead of in with the other stuff. But it doesn't really matter now, I guess.

Quote from: Avaitor on October 02, 2012, 09:15:36 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 02, 2012, 09:10:06 PM
Oh come on, we know that would come out with the same result as if he went with an OvN on The Hunting- old wins.
Of course, but I really would like attention brought to the fact that the new one really has no excuse to be as bad as it is.

QuoteIf he gave the new one more of a shot, I think one for the two TMNT series would've been good though.
This would have been a good one, though. Definitely agree there.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

No-Personality

Top ... Best Videos?? Hmmm... Well, the only TGwtG'er I heavily rewatch is Lindsay. So, to be fair, I can't do Doug yet. But, now a stake has been driven into my head...I now have to do top 10 lists of all the reviewers I watch heavily. November's going to be a FUN month...

Anyway, here's my Top 11 Nostalgia Chick Videos:
1. Labyrinth
2. The Lorax
3. The Christmas Shoes
4. DreamWorks vs. Disney (both parts)
5. She's All That
6. The Babysitter's Club
7. Der Furher's Face
8. Transformers: The Movie
9. Spice World
10. Blonde Girls Then and Now (...) Ke$ha
11. Bratz

Quote from: talonmalon333 on October 10, 2011, 11:54:29 PMWhat is you guys' favorite review of the Critic?
Top 11 Nostalgic Mindfuck Moments.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on November 09, 2011, 11:45:39 PMYou know, while I have a lot of respect for James Rolfe and love most of his output....his Nerd videos are now actually my least favorite thing that he does. I mean, he's had some good jokes and some funny reactions from strange stuff he witnesses in crappy games, but 90% of his Nerd videos ARE extremely long rants with excessive cursing and pointless toilet humor. I mean, that's not funny, its just cursing a lot and using disgusting imagery
Exactly. I HATE that garbage.

Quote from: Avaitor on November 29, 2011, 08:50:05 PMOkay, he reviewed Moulin Rouge!
In terms of quality, that is probably the single best review he's ever done for the sight. Though surprisingly, he's only the 3rd best thing about it. It's Brentalfloss's show and him and Lindsay steal it. So much so, I wonder if "Guilty Pleasure" is purchasable via- iTunes or whathave.

Quote from: Avaitor on December 24, 2011, 10:59:55 PMLike I said on tz, if I was doing these videos, I'd be a little more forgiving to The Lion King, and a heck of a lot less forgiving to Beauty and the Beast.
They both deserve to be roasted. Royally!

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 15, 2012, 06:36:06 PMI also find that some of the movies that he chooses to tackle in his more recent reviews to be baffling choices. I mean, when he reviews stuff like The Cell or The Blair Witch Project 2 they just feel totally out of place given the whole concept of what his reviews are supposed to be about. Don't get me wrong, they are bad movies, but they are hardly nostalgic for either him or most people, as those aren't stuff that people remember watching as kids
I disagree. With the last part. A lot of kids are excited to watch R-rated movies when they're kids. Especially pre-the late 90's. Which is when parents stopped policing what their children watched as much. There is an entire generation of horror fans who remember movies like Cell and Blair Witch fondly as kids. And they do recognize the titles or the stars of the movie. A lot of people rushed to see Blair Witch 2, even though they knew it didn't have the same characters. Especially kids, because they're more likely to buy the mystery and "mindfuck" of it more gullibly. And this is true especially of The Cell because kids are likely to think it's more sophisticated than something like The Sixth Sense which, comparably, was made for kids. It's more relevant to people who were kids in the late 90's than any other time before but, nonetheless it was a thing.

Quote from: Avaitor on May 09, 2012, 10:28:01 AMAlso, Resurrection wasn't Whedon's first screenplay. His tiny bit of involvement in Toy Story and the godforsaken Buffy movie came first.
I still like that movie. And dislike the series.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 09, 2012, 08:56:03 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on May 09, 2012, 08:50:44 PMEh, since I'm in a list making mood

Top 10 Best Picture Winners

Most Overrated Winner
On the Waterfront
A Beautiful Mind was soooo boring. Nothin' beautiful about that one.
I'm torn between ABM and Crash as the worst Best Picture winner ever.

Quote from: Avaitor on May 10, 2012, 05:01:43 PMThat's [Pulp Fiction vs Forrest Gump] still the biggest snub in Oscar history to my mind. Or at least it's tied with My Fair Lady beating Mary Poppins.
Oh, Mary Poppins is definitely better than MFL.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 10, 2012, 05:20:12 PMPulp Fiction is a movie that is the classic definition of style over substance.
Agreed... but I agree that it works. Very well. Even I can't fight its' power.

1994? I think the best movie I saw from that year is still Serial Mom. So, I'd give that the win. I don't see one reason why it couldn't compete with Pulp Fiction.

Quote from: Avaitor on June 21, 2012, 09:55:12 PMThat's crazy, but I can't say I'm too surprised. Spoony never seemed like a very stable guy based on his videos and from what I've heard.

Eh, I won't miss him too much. I found his work obnoxious more than anything, although I did like his Twilight rants.
Out of the blue (or when To Boldly Flee debuted), I decided to start trying to check out videos by some of these guys I've never really watched but caught once or twice. Tried Sage again... and I really dislike this guy. Then, I started looking through Spoony's catalog and... this guy was EXCELLENT at vlogs! Back in '07, '08. His vlog on Quarantine had me laughing more than maybe any other video I've seen on the entire site.

Quote from: Avaitor on July 16, 2012, 06:39:31 PMLindsay posted her top 11 flicks. Are you interested? No? Well, here are my thoughts towards her list anyway.
I've only seen Who Framed Roger Rabbit... and I think it's overrated.

Quote from: Avaitor on August 29, 2012, 08:30:18 PMPaltridge noted that the Chick rants and raves about her feminist opinions in most of her videos. While I never really take what he says seriously, he does have a point. She does spend a LOT of time talking about the same topics. I think Linkara, a major feminist himself, does it better, since he doesn't needlessly dedicate entire videos to the objectivation of women in media like she does, and even turns the table and calls out when certain writers go too far in their attempt towards feminism.
I disagree. Not with Linkara, I've only seen about 5 of his Power Rangers television series reviews. Oh, and his reviews of the Amityville Horror movies. Which feel too short but thanks to him, I'm never going to bother with part 2. And want to see parts 5, 7, and 8 more than ever. But, Lindsay does a really good job talking about modern feminism and people really resent women now. I see it everywhere and it's fucking starting to make me an angry gay man (which is redundant, since all it takes to make me almost violent is one showing of Trick 'R Treat). People are so much more critical with a woman who talks about something serious than they are a man. Fact. Mostly, they don't even want to hear it. And for all the talk that she's too preoccupied with this topic, do you actually pay attention to the way so many people talk about women? There is so much casual sexism and downright misogyny in this culture. She did a vlog about going to see The Room and that's one of the reasons I wouldn't pay to see movies even if they weren't $10+ now. Women are not ony criticized for being too serious but godforbid she be the slightest bit unconventionally attractive! Men get in groups, a little alcohol, and "bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch," "fat fat fat fat fat," "ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly," "whore," "slut," "pig," endless combinations of these. Do you think men regard each other like this in the slightest? Fuck no. The first thing they do is take him seriously, and are ready to extend a little brotherhood if they think they can relate to him at all. They don't automatically think he needs to be attractive to be allowed to speak his mind. Unless he's stereotypically gay or, with a smaller percentage of guys, a different race than they are.

Of course, I take this very personally because in my opinion while homophobia is considered to be justified by religious people's argument that God says it's bad, I think it's been culturally influenced by old fashioned sexism. And... you know what? That Guy with the Glasses often unintentionally contributes to that. First of all, can you count how many times Doug refers to balls, sucking cock, and any man who isn't conventionally butch or tough as inherently bad? I was thinking about making a compilation of these clips. That would take weeks to do but the result would probably even make Doug himself gulp hard if he saw it. I might look the other way if it came down to being "oh, it's just his character." Yeah... he wasn't in character mode for the Disneycember special and still "gay is bad" came into play there as well (the section discussing Fun and Fancy Free).
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

talonmalon333

Quote from: talonmalon333 on October 08, 2012, 11:27:04 PM
Just saw The Haunting for the first time. Excellent film.

And with that, after watching it, I finally took the time to see the NC's review of it. What's funny is that, a quarter into the review, it just seemed like a typical mediocre remake to me. But then I saw more of it, and wow, it seriously is one of those awful movies that you can hardly believe exists.

Definitely one of the best NC episodes in ages.

Avaitor

New blog!

No-Personality

Went on WAY too long and contained too much shtick.
and I love it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I liked the video. Its interesting to see Doug's real thoughts on some of these movies that he's had to review in the past. I mean we knew that he obviously didn't like any of them, but the video goes into detail about just why he hates them as much as he does.

No-Personality

He does the same thing in his commentaries.
and I love it.